Podding Etiquette - PvP

Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
<<

Audine Meursault

Portrait

Post 2018.05.16 03:46

Podding Etiquette - PvP

Hi There,

As a player I'm fairly inexperienced, and I've never been successful at PvP, but I've sure been killed a lot!
Whenever I get caught and sploded I try and get away quickly in my capsule (I've got nothing better to do), but often I'm immediately sploded again.

This feels a little bit rude to me, especially as the murderer stands to gain nothing, but the victim stands to lose any implants they have.
I can see the point against war targets perhaps, but against little old me just trying to make an ISK to put some space food on the space table?

What is the etiquette around podding? Do you do it? Do you hate it?
Do you like seeing that your painstakingly crafted avatar is just a projection of your sense of self and you're actually a skinny grey bald person covered in plug holes?

Audine Meursault
Newb
Audine Meursault
Member | HSC | EVE University
<<

Biwako Acami

Portrait

Fittings Manager
Fittings Manager

Post 2018.05.16 04:30

Re: Podding Etiquette - PvP

There are a few, like me, who collect corpses as trophies. So we generally pod almost always.

Sometimes it's just the pursuit to kill the shiniest pod. Some of the older members often joke about an old shiny loss and use the pilot's name as a unit of measurement of wealth. "But is it worth a Frood?"

As a Wormhole space dweller it is sometimes necessary to pod your enemy because it puts them in Known space and that at least delays them from being combat capable in the same wormhole.

There are also cases when you don't feel like podding. Like when the enemy gives you a good fight and you don't want to inconvenience them. I also might not do so in low security space because I'd take a security standings hit that could affect Concord's behavior towards me in high security space.

I only hate it when I find out the character is new to the game. But otherwise I have a wide grin whenever I do it :twisted:
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImage
<<

Audine Meursault

Portrait

Post 2018.05.16 05:49

Biwako Acami wrote: "But is it worth a Frood?"

Oh my.

My net worth is only 0.06 Froods :shock: That must have hurt.

Interesting insights though, Cheers!
Audine Meursault
<<

Xafen Katapi

Portrait

Post 2018.05.16 14:43

Because people fly around in pods like so, https://zkillboard.com/kill/70000447/.
<<

Raido Kudonen

Portrait

Post 2018.05.16 21:18

Audine Meursault wrote:This feels a little bit rude to me, especially as the murderer stands to gain nothing, but the victim stands to lose any implants they have.
I can see the point against war targets perhaps, but against little old me just trying to make an ISK to put some space food on the space table?

I gain the same thing from podding people that I gain from blowing up their ships: a killmail that occasionally has some shiny stuff on it.

I only rarely actually loot wrecks, because of the kind of PvP that I do, so the killmail and the sense of accomplishment are pretty much the things I get out of PvP either way.

Note that in some circumstances, one should actually avoid podding enemies for tactical reasons. For example, if you are trying to extract a high-value asset (capital/supercarrier/titan) from hostile space and it's being "waterboarded" (suicide dictors repeatedly warping in to flood it with bubbles so that it can't jump or warp), you should kill the dictors but not pod, so that the dictor pilots have to wait out their self-destruct timers before reshipping. Similarly, as Biwako points out, if you care about your security status or faction standings, it may be wise to refrain from podding targets in lowsec and hisec.

Finally, it's pretty foolish to whine about losing an expensive pod (or an expensive-for-you training pod). It's trivially easy, and very cheap, to switch pods in citadels, such that you only spend time undocked/untethered in cheap pods. "Don't fly anything you can't afford to lose" is just as true for your pod as for your ship, and you should only ever do PvP in an expensive pod if it gives your ship advantages in PvP. (This includes things that reduce the chances of getting caught/killed, such as using Ascendancy implants to increase your warp speed or Nomad implants to decrease your align time in hauling ships or ratting ships. As always, "do PvP" includes anytime you are undocked, since anytime you are undocked you should be engaged in the PvP activity of evading hostiles you can't beat in a fight or don't want to fight.)
"What is good in life, Raido?"
"To crush your enemies. To see them bubbled before you, and to hear the lamentations of their carebears."

Join Fweddit - Be a Space Chikun!
<<

Michael Alderman

Portrait

Post 2018.05.16 22:42

I would add, because you're a somewhat new player, that unless you get bubbled, such as might happen in null security space, or w-space, it's almost always possible to get away. A pod has a 1 second align time. It cannot be locked before you are able to get away, unless your ping to the server is truly atrocious.

That's theory. In practice, well, you should practice it! There are occasionally courses given on using the pod saver tab and the general procedure to maximise your ability to get away. Or get together with some others and get to practising with some cheap ships and no implants. Very valuable skill.

None of this helps you if you get bubbled, but I see your last podding was in low, for example: https://zkillboard.com/kill/69879263/ . You almost certainly could have gotten away, there. No shame there, but just to say that it's not at all unavoidable in those cases.
<<

Audine Meursault

Portrait

Post 2018.05.17 10:09

Michael Alderman wrote:A pod has a 1 second align time. It cannot be locked before you are able to get away, unless your ping to the server is truly atrocious.

That's theory. In practice, well, you should practice it! There are occasionally courses given on using the pod saver tab and the general procedure to maximise your ability to get away. .

Ah! Very interesting. I'll keep an eye out for that. Just knowing about the align time gives me a bit of hope at the very least.

Ouch. :oops: I forgot about those implants. Bought and applied before I stopped playing a few years ago.
Audine Meursault
<<

Avrin Dennard

Portrait

Post 2018.05.18 14:43

I've lost every pod I was ever unfortunate enough to be in so I asked in fleet what's the best procedure.

1. When you think you are going to die, switch to your PodSaver tab.
2. Hold the S key
3. Keep left clicking something in the PodSaver list that isn't a gate (just in case there's a bubble there).
4. Keep jumping after that.
ImageImage
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Post 2018.05.18 15:17

Also, even though it looks like you might be doing this already (intentionally or not) ...

If you want to maximize training time while still cutting down costs you can get just the two implants that matches your train. You could have different clones for different remaps. That way you only risk 2 implants worth, while maintaining your maximum training speed.
<<

Audine Meursault

Portrait

Post 2018.05.19 23:28

Avrin Dennard wrote:I1. When you think you are going to die, switch to your PodSaver tab.
2. Hold the S key
3. Keep left clicking something in the PodSaver list that isn't a gate (just in case there's a bubble there).
4. Keep jumping after that.

Very cool! That sounds very achievable in heat of battle (any my own explosion). Thanks for passing that on.

Cassiel Seraphim wrote:If you want to maximize training time while still cutting down costs you can get just the two implants that matches your train. You could have different clones for different remaps. That way you only risk 2 implants worth, while maintaining your maximum training speed.

Hehe. Thoroughly UNintentional.
But that's also a good tip. Getting my head around training and implants is something I really should get on to.
Does EVE U do any classes on that kind of thing?
Audine Meursault
<<

Michael Alderman

Portrait

Post 2018.05.19 23:42

Audine Meursault wrote:Hehe. Thoroughly UNintentional.
But that's also a good tip. Getting my head around training and implants is something I really should get on to.
Does EVE U do any classes on that kind of thing?

Not sure about classes, but one thing you might do is go to Seamus' awesome Q&As and ask him about it. It's a fantastic resource. I used to show up without any questions at all, and I learned something new pretty much every time. And he holds them quite regularly.

That goes for anyone at all who has questions on game mechanics, or just wants to learn more about them. If you're not checking the Q&As out, you are doing yourself a disservice. Can you tell I find them fantastic? :)

EDIT: Also, it's not a bad idea for a class. You could make the suggestion to the teaching department, if you don't see any on the calendar.
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Post 2018.05.20 11:04

We definitely used to have a class about implants, think it had a catchy title along the lines of "Messing with your head". Not sure if it fell into darkness or got transformed into some other class. One of our teachers can probably shed some light on that :)
<<

Audine Meursault

Portrait

Post 2018.05.21 10:14

I like it :P

Might have to just pour over the wiki in any case.
Zero classes are run in the AU timezone. (Maybe I'll change that one day in the distant future)

I do have an add-on question to this thread, though.
Are bounties awarded upon ship destruction? Or actual pilot death...
Audine Meursault
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Post 2018.05.21 12:38

Audine Meursault wrote:Are bounties awarded upon ship destruction? Or actual pilot death...
Both, bounties are paid out based on the value of the ship being destroyed, or the pod (implants). It's not a one-to-one ratio but rather a system with an obvious ISK-sink (think it's low, like 20% or something), to avoid profitable farming of your own bounties with alts.

The bounties on pod only was how the old system worked, if memory serves.
<<

Union Pivo

Portrait

Post 2018.05.28 07:32

After loosing my first set of implants, my first task after loging in to eve is to switch to a clean clone.
In order to remember i leave my character sheet on the clone tab open.

Remember if you jump to a clone in same citadel that you are in, you get no timer, and you can do that even if you already have clone timer.
So you can switch multiple times a day. It only takes seconds, so its not that much of an effort.

And last task before i leave eve is to switch into my training clone.

Even if i occasionally fly pods with implants they are pvp implants, that i am prepared to loose.
Next

Return to EVE Discussion