Hitting the burn-out wall...

Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
<<

Lunaria Veil (Biomassed 2018.04.15)

Portrait

Post 2018.04.11 14:27

Hitting the burn-out wall...

I'm starting to reach the point where I'm losing interest in Eve Online. I've run the missions, the complexes, the DED sites. I've poked around in wormholes, mined ice, gas, and 'roids. I dabbled a little in planetary interaction but I haven't gotten to do much with it, although it reminds me a lot of resource management-type games which I love. I haven't gotten into manufacturing and trading because that sounds too much like work and not like fun :) I've tried my hand at PvP and found that not only do I suck at it, I don't really enjoy it. I get anxious, I get flustered, I can't understand the FC 90% of the time because everyone speaks in shorthand and abbreviations that I have no idea what they mean, my heart races and I panic. I try my best but the next thing I know "Your ship is out of control!!" and I'm sitting in my pod next to a cloud of dust and I genuinely don't know what just happened.

I've only been back in the game about 3 months and I'm ALREADY nearly in rage-quit mode. I've genuinely had to stop myself from biomassing my characters and deleting all my API keys like 5 times this week.

But then I read all the RP-fiction I've written and I realize that THAT is where the "fun" in this "game" is for me. The story. THAT'S when it hit me...

Where IS the story in this "game"?

Yeah, ok, I can read the backstory on the Eve support page for the 200th time. But where is the meaning in what's going on NOW?

Why should I care? Well no, it's more like "Why should Lunaria Veil care?"

Does anyone else get this way sometimes? What do you do to keep Eve fresh?

Anyone?
<<

Jun Mikoto

Portrait

Post 2018.04.11 14:58

Re: Hitting the burn-out wall...

Lunaria Veil wrote:I get flustered, I can't understand the FC 90% of the time because everyone speaks in shorthand and abbreviations that I have no idea what they mean, my heart races and I panic.

100% agree ... but for me it's why i'm addicted to pvp(After spending 30M SP in 8 years to mining, industry and science) And it get's better the more you dive into it. If you watch the YT-videos it seems like the easiest thing to do in new eden ... with this extremly smart chatter "...and here he makes the mistake and so i just clicked here and that's why he got popped against all odds and i got away with it in hull...". And you sit in the ship and you go out and than that happens what you said. Jump the Gate - yello.. red boxed - Half in armor - Back at home station. And you have 3590 seconds of your hour eve time left...

But that wasn't really the answer you asked for... Honestly i took 4 or 5 breaks from eve for each time a year or longer everytime something else got more interesting.

But back to this pvp shit, ALL of it is extremly based on some formulas and game mechanics you should be aware of and you start to understand little glimpses of what is going on when he said "... and so i clicked here ..." but more than that it's exciting to tell somebody else what you found out so far and get a "wow, that makes sense" back.

o/ JM
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Post 2018.04.11 15:29

Lunaria Veil wrote:Where IS the story in this "game"?
There's really no story to keep the game interesting for long. Some go really deep into the lore, but there's no driving story like in other games. People are the game, people make the stories.

Lunaria Veil wrote:What do you do to keep Eve fresh?
I fly with people, people make EVE for me. People are what makes me come back. The game is just enough of a sci-fi dressing to make it work.
<<

Biwako Acami

Portrait

Fittings Manager
Fittings Manager

Post 2018.04.11 16:17

I have similar feelings as Cassiel on the matter. The great stories that EvE Online is known for are the stories of the people who play. Not the ones made up by CCP.

My motivation to play the game largely depends on the people who undock with me. We'll always find something to do in or outside the game. The times I'm on the cusp of winning EvE are when my EvE buddies move onto other things.
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImage
<<

Lunaria Veil (Biomassed 2018.04.15)

Portrait

Post 2018.04.11 17:02

I genuinely appreciate the feedback everyone :)
<<

Arc-Lucem-Ferre Motsu

Portrait

Post 2018.04.11 18:57

Yeah, it’s the story that the players create and I get to be a part of, and the friends I’ve made... 6 years now, and never felt burned out. I mean my activity slows down and I take breaks but never felt like I wanted to stop playing.

I wish I could adequately describe to you what it means to be a part of a tigh group of space nerds (Corp) and how astoundly fun it is...because it seems like this is the bit that’s missing from your gaming experience.

If 7 years ago you would have told me that I would be paying for an MMO, let alone going to meet ups, BBQs, and traveling across the globe to meet people I met online, I would have laughed in your face. But now I do all those things.

As far as stories...Ok, so how about this last one. My alliance decided that Provi and their ridiculous NRDS/Carebear sanctuary needed to be culled a bit. Go dunk on them for a bit for lulz during Xmas time, get frags and fights. And before you go all soft on me, they own SOV! It’s suppose to mean something, you can’t defend it, don’t own it. Also, we left our supers/titans out, so it’s just regular caps...hell! We even shiften down to T1 ships for good fights. Also, PL has historically fought out numberer, Provi had a lot more people + TAPI + their allies compared to us.

They caved and failcascaded sooner that we thought! Their old war tactic of retreating to lowsec and retaking Provi after the invaders leave, isn’t going to work out this time. We (PL) have mercifully put them out of their misery.

That’s meaningful change and impact on the game, people, and alliances (I think a Corp or two actually no ponger exist)...weather you agree with it or not, a story created by players.

Two Corps I’ve been a part of that have this feeling of unity, people that care and value you, people that go out of their way to help you out IRL, let you crash at their pads when you want to....I don’t know, visit Greece or something. Help with your homework, come pick you up at the airport and take you to dinner. You spend hours BSing on Comms with, and dying laughing after you loose a trillion in Dreds, or that time I lost two Golems back to back, check up on you to see how you’re doing, or just send nice gifts to you every now and then: Waffles and Snigg.

Yeah, they’re both PvP corps, I don’t see too many non-PvPers stay in the game though...so if that’s not your thing, don’t know where to direct you to.
<<

Cryptic Sharvas

Portrait

Post 2018.04.11 19:14

The Story is the one your write about yourself.

We could light a campfire and I could tell you about the time I got ganked undocking from Amarr. That first death is very memorable for me, but is probably not even a foot note for the person who did the ganking.

PvP is fun and exciting. I love to build things and resource gathering building aspect of the game for me is great, but the best is when I avoid being ganked.

or if I join in to shoot someone else.

if you are having trouble understanding the FC, then Tell the FC. their fleet is less effictively when communication isn't happening properly.

Also take a break. if you feel burn out coming on just don't sign in one day. that break will be good to recharge. You don't need to biomass to have a break from the game
Image ImageImageImageImage
<<

Hideo Date

Portrait

Communications Manager
Communications Manager

Post 2018.04.11 21:17

*Shhhhh* Don't listen to the bitter vets :P :D

Just look at what has been happening over the last little bit with ARC and the trigs. I am not deep in to lore stuff...but damn that stuff is intriguing. And those guys above are totally wrong! ( well not totally ;) ) but there is quite some deep story stuff. But from what I know its more like in Dark Souls...scraps and secrets to uncover and be pieced together by the players.

But where I totally agree: the people/community make the game :) And the best stories are the ones you write yourself.

I like Cryptics advise: no need to biomass, just take a break :)

I think you have a lot more to find in this game. Even if you actually never ever find a way into PvP. But maybe also not stop trying to experience that part as well ;)
Communications Manager

EVE Uni blog
EVE Uni Twitter
EVE Uni Facebook

You can find me on Twitter @hideo_date
I stream over at: https://www.twitch.tv/hideodate
<<

Sikandar Cole

Portrait

Post 2018.04.12 16:40

Lunaria Veil wrote:I've tried my hand at PvP and found that not only do I suck at it, I don't really enjoy it. I get anxious, I get flustered, I can't understand the FC 90% of the time because everyone speaks in shorthand and abbreviations that I have no idea what they mean, my heart races and I panic. I try my best but the next thing I know "Your ship is out of control!!" and I'm sitting in my pod next to a cloud of dust and I genuinely don't know what just happened.

Does anyone else get this way sometimes?

Not I. I understand EVE in terms of a persistent virtual game of RISK! enjoyed (or not) by tens of thousands of players from other nations and cultures all over the globe every day all day long. I don't think it is coincidental that the influence map resembles that game play in sov null.

As a member of the 6000+ member Initiative. family, as well as the largest and arguably the most effective corporation within it, we have a unique position sitting at that board to directly influence its disposition. Our ability to affect that change depends upon all those things that your complaint names. Those things are not end games or pastimes in and of themselves but means to a greater end game.

And you are an integral and valuable part of that thing. You have the ability and opportunity to play whatever part in that effort you choose. You will receive all the help you ask for from your corpmates. The enjoyment you get out of your involvement within the corporation is directly proportional to your investment in it.

As far as PvP is concerned, we are a PvP focused corporation. Everyone fights when called. Is it scary and confusing at times? Yeah, but fighting (and more often than not, winning) outnumbered and outgunned is what we have built our reputation on. And getting your heart rate up is a reward to enduring the boredom of earning ISK and making ships. INIT. to win it. :wink:

That to me is "story" enough and you are in the best possible place to experience it yourself.

All IMHYEO, of course. :)
Image ImageImage

ImageImage ImageImageImage Image
ImageImageImage Image Image Image

<<

O'b Haru Sen

Portrait

Post 2018.04.16 09:44

Well, I guess everybody is a little different in how they function and what they enjoy, so no cookbook recipes here.

About your PvP experience, I think this is a fairly typical perspective for many elements of the game:
IMNSHO if you are just a little cog, you will never really understand what is going on. This is true for PvP, industry, corp management whatever.
It is why for many people - but not everybody - joining a big solid corp/alliance can be a poor choice.
E.g. to understand fleet PvP I would start with trying solo/small gang first, take more responsibility over time, with the goal to eventually FC, plan ops etc. Again, pretty much the same in other fields too.

About the background story and since you mentioned lore and RP writing: there is a small but active (and very veteran) lore and RP community in EVE.
EVE's unique point here is that you can "RP with consequences" like in no other game. Don't just chat, live the role you took, be is with lasers or as the odd pacifist, whatever you define. You will be handled roughly and ruthlessly by other players, and will have to find a way to deal with it. If you treat it that way - and many RP'ers and lore aficionados do - things that other players may only superficially be interested in will suddenly become very engaging and fun.

Also, yes, friendship is the most important. And friendship is best forged in situations where mutual trust, help and sacrifice are essential to survive. Which not always works out, but when it does...
<<

Ceilidh Brinalle

Portrait

Post 2018.04.16 18:00

Cassiel wrote:
Lunaria Veil wrote:What do you do to keep Eve fresh?
I fly with people, people make EVE for me. People are what makes me come back. The game is just enough of a sci-fi dressing to make it work.

I will absolutely echo Cass for this, and not just because his corner of E-Uni is the only reason I still play.

The game is fun, but the people you play it with are much more fun.

Also, yes, friendship is the most important. And friendship is best forged in situations where mutual trust, help and sacrifice are essential to survive. Which not always works out, but when it does...

Find the right group in Eve, and you will want to come back.

I recommend Incursions. We are pretty fun.
Image Image Image ImageImage
<<

Avrin Dennard

Portrait

Post 2018.05.25 12:27

Personally I haven't been in the game all that long but your comment on fleets made me post a reply. If you had a bad experience in fleet please try again with a different FC. My experience has been there are some that are very newbro aware and others aren't quite as good at it. To me, so far, fleets and the personal interaction with people is the best thing about Eve.
ImageImage
<<

Sikandar Cole

Portrait

Post 2018.05.25 16:17

Biomassed means that he removed his character from the game. I remember a sad and disappointing notification mail that announced it, since he never discussed his discontent as a member of my corporation. But I think little could be done to retain him, since the game play did not meet the expectations he entered it carrying.

EVE has always been advertised as an experience and opportunity to "write your own story" within its framework of environment and community culture. That story creation requires an investment within in unlike other MMORPGs, because the RP construct is the player himself. That can be an overwhelming thing to some.

As I indicated previously, Lunaria was offered the opportunity to play EVE with a large alliance and influence the direction of the game. Unfortunately it seems writing himself into that story did not have the enough value to maintain his participation in it. I was saddened to see him go. But that too is part of the game.
Image ImageImage

ImageImage ImageImageImage Image
ImageImageImage Image Image Image

<<

Eldon Garrik

Portrait

Post 2018.07.12 01:50

Lunaria Veil (Biomassed 2018.04.15) wrote: I can't understand the FC 90% of the time because everyone speaks in shorthand and abbreviations that I have no idea what they mean

I felt (and still feel) the same way. Luckily, I was able to find some people who felt similarly and I flew with them for a while. Given that they agreed with me on the negative points of PvP, we avoided them. I had a lot of fun flying with people that played the way I did.
Eldon Garrik, Over and Out

Return to EVE Discussion