Your First Big Purchase: What, When, Why? How'd It Go?

Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
<<

geldy

Portrait

Post 2018.02.14 12:31

Re: Your First Big Purchase: What, When, Why? How'd It Go?

Think mine was a harmful when they first came out full T2 fit :D lost it helping someone do Pve was a sad day
<<

Xiang Fong

Portrait

Post 2018.02.19 06:11

Just to show how differet the definition of big is:
I've restarted playing after a year. Before this the most expensive loss I've had was a Griffin in a fleet, and that turned into a huge win because some salvager had pity on the newbro and gave me another Griffin + 25 mil of salvage for free. I very much live by the motto 'Don't fly what you can't afford to lose', but I keep in mind my usual stubbornness and thus likelyness to just buy another one and retry before thinking and have that happen about 5 times before I stop and think. Because of this regardless of my 180 mil wallet I kept flying T1 Frigates only until yesterday, when I bought the huge purchase of a Corax. 1.3 mil hull, 1.8 mil with the modules I bought to fit it and 2.5 mil with all modlues I fitted.
The thing paid itself of in about half an hour of missioning.
<<

Darth Galifreia

Portrait

Post 2018.03.02 15:38

It was time to buy an Omega account, a couple of millions was missing. And I decided to see how i can profit by trading. Found buyorder Brynn's Modified Energized EM Membrane for 1.7kkk in Dodixie and this module i can buy at Jita just for 900kk. So with shaking hand i fly from Jita to Dodixie i think its wiil be trap on the way or they try catch me after dockout. There was two buyorder 1.7kkk and 1.7k i think scum was there. But I didnt know about marga scum thx in game mechanics skill "Margin Trading". So when i try sell it in Dodixie i was pooped, i think o got nothing. After this i checked trade history - there is no sell Bryyn's Mod only my sell order with tonns isk and huge margin(all my isk was there). After this i try search all info abut trade mechanics those expirience cost me more then 1billion. fly save.
<<

Gerrik Aldent

Portrait

Post 2018.03.02 16:46

My Vexor which looking back at it was really not that much (25m) but at the time It was all my money.
<<

Sterling Boirelle

Portrait

Post 2018.03.21 06:05

My first large purchase that required me to trust another player was when i purchased the wormhole currently being used for the Open House Project. What happened is after about 3 months of having a bounty on an empty wormhole system I could use to set up shop with all of the things i wanted such as at least 6 planets i could do p4 production on and a high sec connection I posted a buy order on the official forums listing off everything i wanted and what i was willing to pay to just purchase all of the assets in a wormhole of that type. Within a few days I got a response back from an extremely shady person who refused to use a third party third party service and wanted 2billion isk up front to transfer ownership of the poco and scan me in and then another 1.3 billion once inside the wormhole for the fitted citadel.

After about an hour of conversation and mutual mistrust I reflected on how difficult it had been for me to get someone else to either find a wormhole or set one up for me had been and decided to make an offer of 1billion isk for transfer of ownership of the Citadel up front with no information on where the hole was or anything but a promise. We reached an agreement at this point so i sent the isk fully expecting it to be the second dumbest thing i had done in eve online up until that point. To my surprise the deal continued toward getting me scanned into the wormhole and citadel ownership being transferred to me. At this point I paid the remaining 2.3 billion isk got a quick tutorial on how to run the citadel and got POCO ownership. I also spent another 300 million isk on two fitted megathrons.

All in all i spent 3.6 billion isk or there about on what at first i fully expected to be a scam.
SP determines what you can fly not where you can fly.
<<

D'ameni Holmes

Portrait

Post 2018.04.11 10:22

With the start of moon mining, I decided to invest in an Orca and after a suitable period of training, I finally was able to fly the beast! Bought and fitted out an Orca about 2 weeks ago. Since then I have been out harvesting moon goo and boosting the fleet.
Previous

Return to EVE Discussion