Project Discovery: Exoplanets

Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
<<

Turhan Bey

Portrait

Director of Logistics
Director of Logistics

Post 2017.07.14 21:56

Project Discovery: Exoplanets

Apparently, the analysis failed because there just happened to be an unassociated dip of almost exactly the same magnitude that happened (entirely coincidentally, of course) at exactly the midpoint between the two vaild drops in luminosity. :P

SPOILER WARNING!
ImageImageImage
"The first mistake most gameplay zealots make is thinking that the game should revolve around them. The second is believing that it already does."
"Maybe it's just a game. Or perhaps it's a world. Perhaps it's a community. One thing is for certain: If it's only a game to you, then that is all it will ever be."
<<

Raido Kudonen

Portrait

Post 2017.07.15 13:14

Re: Project Discovery: Exoplanets

This seems identical in principle to the one I found two days ago, but on examination I'm pretty sure it's a different sample that has the same weird pattern - the raw data pattern differs in a way that detrending wouldn't affect.

What's interesting in both cases is that most of the difference between the middle dip and the other two seems to be in the luminosity variance immediately before and after the valid transits. While it reduces speed (and therefore is another case where the incentive regime behind this minigame doesn't really align with the citizen science concept), I've had more success folding to match context than trying to simply match luminosity decreases.
"What is good in life, Raido?"
"To crush your enemies. To see them bubbled before you, and to hear the lamentations of their carebears."

Return to EVE Discussion