Myrmidon

For discussion of ship fittings
Xanne Ashlander

Myrmidon

Post by Xanne Ashlander »

I found this fitting on the Wiki listed as "Myrmidon: Mission Passive Shield Tank"
https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Myrmidon/Fittings
Spoiler
[Myrmidon, Mission Passive Shield Tank]
720mm Howitzer Artillery II
Drone Link Augmentor II

10MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner
Thermal Dissipation Amplifier II
Thermal Dissipation Amplifier II
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II

Beta Reactor Control: Shield Power Relay I
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Drone Damage Amplifier II

Medium Core Defense Field Purger II

Hobgoblin II x5
Hammerhead II x5
Garde II x5

EMP M
When this fitting is loaded into the fitting engine in the game, you get the following Fitting Notice "Shield modules fit to an armor ship?"
So I'm wondering if something has changed since Eve version "ODY 1.0" which is what's listed in the Wiki.

More to the point, I'm looking to fit a Myrmidon for L3 missions, and I'm wondering if this fit from the wiki isn't appropriate anymore. I have pretty good drone skills, which is why I'm looking at the Myrmidon.

I've put together the following fit, but I'm still really green, and I'd love comments.
Spoiler
[Myrmidon, L3 mission Basic]
Damage Control II
Prototype Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane I
Prototype Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane I
Prototype Armor Explosive Hardener I
Drone Damage Amplifier I
1600mm Rolled Tungsten Compact Plates

50MN Cold-Gas Enduring Microwarpdrive
Drone Navigation Computer I
Optical Compact Tracking Computer
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II

200mm Prototype Gauss Gun
Drone Link Augmentor I

Medium Anti-Thermal Pump I
Medium Anti-Kinetic Pump I
Medium Trimark Armor Pump I

Hobgoblin II x5
Hammerhead I x5

Tracking Speed Script x2
Antimatter Charge M x2240
Optimal Range Script x2
ImageImageImageImageImageImage Image Image
Hirmuolio Pine
Title: Wiki Curator, Graduate

Re: Request new topic

Post by Hirmuolio Pine »

That shield myrmidon fit has good tank and doesn't care about cap. I'd guess it is for low level WH sites or something like that (compare to C2 and C3 fits). It doesn't look very good in general.

Armor plates are mostly useless in PvE fits. You need tank that you can sustain for long time, plates give tank that you can hold for short time. Myrmidon has armor rep bonus so active armor tank would seem obvious.

Something like this:
2x medium armor repairers, large cap battery, capacitor control rigs, restrained MWD, armor command burst (resist), two resist modules, two DDAs, 3x omnidirectional tracking links. Some projectile/missile weapons (capless) in high if fitting room, maybe tractor beam for grabbing better wrecks.
Ernesto Guevarti

Re: Myrmidon

Post by Ernesto Guevarti »

Xanne Ashlander wrote:I found this fitting on the Wiki listed as "Myrmidon: Mission Passive Shield Tank"
It is (was?) used for L3 and L4 missions against a certain pirate faction (I forget which), because its (shield) resist profile combined with passive recharge made it work very well in that situation, don't believe it finds much use outside of this niche.
Xanne Ashlander

Re: Request new topic

Hirmuolio Pine wrote: Something like this:
2x medium armor repairers, large cap battery, capacitor control rigs, restrained MWD, armor command burst (resist), two resist modules, two DDAs, 3x omnidirectional tracking links. Some projectile/missile weapons (capless) in high if fitting room, maybe tractor beam for grabbing better wrecks.
Spoiler
[Myrmidon, L3 mission active tank]
Capacitor Power Relay II
'Refuge' Adaptive Nano Plating I
'Refuge' Adaptive Nano Plating I
Drone Damage Amplifier I
Drone Damage Amplifier I
Medium Armor Repairer II

50MN Quad LiF Restrained Microwarpdrive
Large Cap Battery I
Omnidirectional Tracking Link I

Drone Link Augmentor I

Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I

Hobgoblin II x5
Hammerhead I x5

Tracking Speed Script x2
Optimal Range Script x2
OK, is this better?
Kyle Hargrove

Post by Kyle Hargrove »

Split for clarity :D
Hirmuolio Pine
Title: Wiki Curator, Graduate

Post by Hirmuolio Pine »

Seems like this is one of those ships where high capacitor skills shine.
With good enough skills that your fit (without guns) is practically cap stable for me with MWD on and the low slot cap module removed.

The MWD could be swapped for AB. That should ease capacitor pressure significantly. Even with MWD it doesn't need to run MWD constantly, just long enough to get in position. It has been a long time since I did much L3 missions so I don't remember if they really needed that much speed.

I doubt drone link augmentor will help much. Better to grap armor command bursts (unless alpha).

Adaptive platings don't belong in PvE ship. You should fit damage specific hardeners instead (RAH+EANM II combo can work too if you have good skills and are too lazy to swap hardeners for different missions).
Xanne Ashlander

Thanks for the help! With a little help from the fellas in HSC Mumble tonight, I landed on this fit (at least for the moment)
Spoiler
[Myrmidon, L3 mission active tank]
Medium 'Accommodation' Vestment Reconstructer I
Prototype Armor EM Hardener I
Prototype Armor Thermal Hardener I
Drone Damage Amplifier I
Drone Damage Amplifier I
Medium 'Accommodation' Vestment Reconstructer I

10MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
Large Compact Pb-Acid Cap Battery
Denny Enduring Omnidirectional Tracking Link

Armor Command Burst I

Hobgoblin II x5
Garde I x3
Ogre I x2
Hammerhead I x5

Rapid Repair Charge x1
Tracking Speed Script x3
Optimal Range Script x3
Drone Link Augmentor I x1
Gergoran Moussou

Post by Gergoran Moussou »

Don't worry too much about the shield modules on an armor ship warning. They just classify every Amarr and Gallente ship as armor, every Caldari and most Minmatar as shield for it.

In most cases, shield works better, so if something can be both, it's more likely to be shield unless it has reason to be armor, such as needing the mid-slots for something else.

Most Gallente ships can be comfortably fit for either, so with shield having more situations where it works better, you'll see a lot more shield Gallente fits than armor. Amarr is typically a lot harder to fit for shield than Gallente (with exceptions, I haven't seen anyone ever use armor Oracles, for example) and Triglavian ships Are even harder (look at the Warptome Leshak fit, for example, the minimum standards for the fit include much more expensive modules than their Bhaalgorn and Vindicator fits, pirate variants of an Amarr and Gallente hull, because those are necessary to make work as a shield ship).

So for Gallente ships, I'd recommend to decide on the tank based on what you intend to do with the ship. One area where armor shines is brawling, so the LSC UpStanding Thorax is armor-tanked (no mid slots left over for shield after AB, MWD, scram, and web), as is the WHC Light Armor Brutix which uses its mids for a couple of different EWAR modules (I think the current one might be Warp Disruptor and Radar ECM by default but I'm not quite sure, previous used a target painter instead of ECM). However, a ship which uses long-range weapons (such as railguns and drones) isn't going to be able to to take advantage of most types of EWAR to their potential beyond just using them to fill slots. Tackle and web run out of range, other types usually don't provide much benefit on a ship without bonus for them.

In particular, since the EWAR types which are most useful in PVE are the two which bonus damage application (web and target painter), but armor is always a trade-off on both damage (since damage mods are low slots) and speed (speed mods are low slots and both armor buffer and rigs reduce speed), I'd use a shield fit running missions with a Gallente ship. However, if I was going to put together an armor Myrmidon fit, it would look something like yours except with one of the drone tracking computers switched out for a target painter. You're probably going to want scripts for the other two, but those are cheap.
9th CCI medalist