Passive Targetting modules: Will target ever know it's targetted?

For discussion of ship fittings
Etienne Darmond

Passive Targetting modules: Will target ever know it's targetted?

Post by Etienne Darmond »

Hi,

I'm thinking of passive targeting systems specifically for use in pre - targeting potential multibox / ganking pirates at high sec gate camps so that when they start flashing criminal I can start shooting immediately. I don't want to un necessarily tip them off with yellow boxing nor do I want to harass 'innocent' but suspicious pilots with yellow boxing behaviour in high sec.

From experience is anyone able to tell me what it is like to be targeted by a player operated passive targeting system?
Will the target EVER know it's been targeted by a passive module?

Is there a time line during which the targeting is hidden but then becomes a yellow box on the targets GUI?

Is there a sound effect that might warn a targeted pilot that his her ship has been targeted by a passive targeting system?

If one uses a ship scanner in combination with a passive targeting module is there anyway for the targeted / scanned pilot to know they've been scanned?

Thanks.

Fly safe,

ED out.
Keris Soleil

Re: Passive Targetting modules: Will target ever know it's targetted?

Post by Keris Soleil »

If nobody gets back to you with the answers, I'm happy to play test-dummy for you to experiment. I tend to lurk around the HSC/AMC area (at the moment) but my playtime is super-variable, so you'll just have to check if I'm online or not.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image
Daniel Wittaker wrote:Did you know you can fund your PvP and accounts using nothing but pure, renewable stupidity? It's a very green source of energy and requires almost no effort.
14th cylon

Post by 14th cylon »

> so that when they start flashing criminal I can start shooting immediately

short answer: no

Passive Targeters have a niche use, as they allow you to use non-aggressive modules (eg cargo or ship scanners) on a target without alerting the target - for instance, in order to check what cargo a ship is carrying and whether it's worth suicide ganking. To use a passive targeter, activate the module, then click on the target you would like to lock.

https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Targetin ... _targeters
Anidien Dallacort
Director of Education
Director of Education

Post by Anidien Dallacort »

14th cylon wrote: 2022.02.03 00:38 > so that when they start flashing criminal I can start shooting immediately

short answer: no

Passive Targeters have a niche use, as they allow you to use non-aggressive modules (eg cargo or ship scanners) on a target without alerting the target - for instance, in order to check what cargo a ship is carrying and whether it's worth suicide ganking. To use a passive targeter, activate the module, then click on the target you would like to lock.

https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Targetin ... _targeters
This doesn't eliminate the possibility of using the module as explained. The target would be locked up while not a legal target (Which is always possible), and then hostile modules would be activated once the target is a legal target.

Passive targeters can indeed be used to cargo scan, for example, without any overview indication that you were ever locked - but that is not their only use.

When you use a passive targeter, it prevents a yellow box condition from being reported to the target.

If you use a hostile module - which you CAN do - you start red-boxing to the target's overview, breaking the passive element of the module.

Yes, what is proposed, is possible.
Anidien Dallacort - Director of Education
Skirmish FC, Graduate

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
14th cylon

Post by 14th cylon »

Anidien Dallacort wrote: 2022.02.03 00:50 Yes, what is proposed, is possible.
if you are sure about that, then i stand corrected.
Etienne Darmond

Post by Etienne Darmond »

Thanks all.

Keris Soleil I will happily take you up on your offer when next I'm able to play Eve. LOL due to RL issues that won't be until around July.
Tal Tracyn
Director of Diplomacy
Director of Diplomacy
Title: Mentor, Graduate, Diplomat , Pineapple Pizza enthusiast

Post by Tal Tracyn »

From experience is anyone able to tell me what it is like to be targeted by a player operated passive targeting system?
Will the target EVER know it's been targeted by a passive module?
Nope

Is there a time line during which the targeting is hidden but then becomes a yellow box on the targets GUI?
No
Is there a sound effect that might warn a targeted pilot that his her ship has been targeted by a passive targeting system?
Nope
If one uses a ship scanner in combination with a passive targeting module is there anyway for the targeted / scanned pilot to know they've been scanned?
Yes. there is a faint beam from your ship when the ship scanner is activated and you can hear the click of the ship scanner.
It's like a bubbley clicking sound whenever you get ship or cargo scanned.

Thanks.
My pleasure
Fly safe,
I fly it like i stole it
ED out.
Peace

Builder and runner of Rivet City,Karpinski Labs,Hive of Industry for 4 years solo.
Don of High Sec
Trading for 6 years in Eve.