Hyena

An archive for fittings that have already been discussed and imported onto the wiki.
White 0rchid

Hyena

Post by White 0rchid »

Hyenas are interesting, their webs aren't fantastic range wise so you need to be careful or have a good team with you. Carry refits for full paints/webs too as sometimes you need to just stay back.
Spoiler
[Hyena, Fleet]

Damage Control II
Small Ancillary Armor Repairer, Nanite Repair Paste
Adaptive Nano Plating II

Stasis Webifier II
Stasis Webifier II
Target Painter II
5MN Cold-Gas Enduring Microwarpdrive

Light Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Nova Light Missile
Light Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Nova Light Missile
[Empty High slot]

Small Ionic Field Projector II
Small Polycarbon Engine Housing II
WE FORM V0LTA
Budda Sereda
Title: Manager (Fittings), Mentor, Lieutenant, Graduate, Management

Re: Hyena

Post by Budda Sereda »

Is this a solo fit? or an addition to the small gang?

Do you really need +20km targeting range? What for? Unless you need to stick with the fleet which is going to fight at this range... I would not use it.
And fitting 42km range missiles... - is this just to consume available extra PWG and CPU?

And why self-rep? I guess this depends on the fleet type. If you have logy you fit plate. Am I right?

I would post two fits: one for armor fleet, another for shield.

Armor Fleet:
Spoiler

Code: Select all

[Hyena, MWD Armor Buffer - Armor Fleet]

Damage Control II
Micro Auxiliary Power Core II
400mm Steel Plates II

5MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Warp Disruptor II
Fleeting Compact Stasis Webifier
Fleeting Compact Stasis Webifier

[Empty High slot]
[Empty High slot]
[Empty High slot]

Small Anti-Kinetic Pump I
Small Anti-Explosive Pump I

Phased Scoped Target Painter x1
Shield Fleet (one web can be replaced by either point or TP):
Spoiler

Code: Select all

[Hyena, Stalence's Hyena]

IFFA Compact Damage Control
Power Diagnostic System II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II

5MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Medium F-S9 Regolith Compact Shield Extender
Stasis Webifier II
Stasis Webifier II

Arbalest Compact Light Missile Launcher, Caldari Navy Nova Light Missile
Arbalest Compact Light Missile Launcher, Caldari Navy Nova Light Missile
[Empty High slot]

Small Anti-Kinetic Screen Reinforcer II
Small Anti-Thermal Screen Reinforcer II

Warp Disruptor II x1
Target Painter II x1
Caldari Navy Nova Light Missile x160
Thoughts?
White 0rchid

Post by White 0rchid »

The problem with eafs is that they are so weak that even with a plate they're going to die. You're most likely not going to be close enough to the logi. None of the EAFs really work as well in shield format because they all rely on their mids to actually be useful.

The aim is the same with the Keres, you take a little damage and get off as soon as you can, because if you're taking damage it means you're probably getting screwed. The targeting range is so you can stay as far away as possible and apply paints without being near the action.
WE FORM V0LTA
Budda Sereda

Post by Budda Sereda »

If you speak about heavy web-fit Hyena then it MUST be together with fleet. What's the point to have it at range? And in this case, it will be in logies range. And depending on a fleet it could be fragile or not. It will be paper thing comparatively to BCs... but look pretty decent in a fleet of T2 frigates or destroyers.

Let's see some compositions.

In a fleet of kiting cruisers (BLAP Caracals, for example) it should be fine staying at 40-50 km with fleet and webbing any tackle coming too close. Though, is it required for BLAP Caracal who can dispatch any small ship and apply to big ship well anyway?
It may be more useful with other kiting doctrines with both web and TP. But for webbing it should stay with DDs, for TP - it can go further...
In a fleet of brawlers (BLAP Vexors or tweet Thoraxes) - is probably useful, but yeah, it is too squishy.
In a fleet of BCs also useful, but even squishier. So in a BC fight, one probably should use more tankier webbers (T1 or T2 CRs).

I do see a good usage for gate camping to prevent stuff crashing the gate... which will work for both shield and armor fleets...?

So in both highlighted scenarios there is value to fit buffer tank.
White 0rchid

Post by White 0rchid »

You're missing my point, most of the Hyena deaths are the ones that fit webs because they're weak as shit (literally an Ibis can probably kill a Hyena).

The ones that survive are the ones that sit at range and paint (I've been in a fleet with Nightmares in a Hyena and survived while under full fire, but that's an incredibly niche scenario that isn't worth creating a fit for).

In gatecamping you might plate it just to give you a little buffer if you have no logi. The only scenario I've done this in is when you have a citadel on grid to rep on. Pure webbing Hyenas are mostly trash. They are only second last to Sentinels amongst the EAFs.
WE FORM V0LTA
Budda Sereda

Post by Budda Sereda »

most of the Hyena deaths are the ones that fit webs because they're weak as shit
And at the same time, the fit you suggested does have 2 webs... or those are JUST defensive web in order to run away if something will too close to tackle?

Why gate camp can't have logies? If you fly with Thrashers Hyena will be very useful and even though primaries first, it has the same buffer as Thrashers. Yes, it will die eventually, but so does any ship. And self-rep won't help it survive much longer...

And if Hyenna is TP only ... it is just another vision of using it. Surely, it can be TP only fit and then flying with Vexors of Ruptures it should stay at 70-80km (or whatever optimal is). This can be put into fit description as a note.

----

Or you are saying, that THE ONLY viable fit is self-rep with speed and range tank? And everything else can be fit easily so is not really worth publishing to wiki?
White 0rchid

Post by White 0rchid »

Carry refits for full paints/webs too as sometimes you need to just stay back.
I simply put the fit up as an example. I would personally be fitting paints and 1 web, but if the scenario arose where I could safely burn and web things (usually tackle), then I would.

Also I never said gatecamps won't have logi I just said:
In gatecamping you might plate it just to give you a little buffer if you have no logi
The reason you often see exequrors as gatecamp logi is because you need your mids for tackle and SeBo's, hence why armor tank is better in most scenarios (especially if you have things like Hyena/Keres/Vigilants).
WE FORM V0LTA
Biwako Acami
Title: Assistant Manager (Fittings), Ensign, Graduate, Management

Post by Biwako Acami »

The optimal range bonus on webs probably work best for screening than lockdown. If you really wanted lockdown, for things like preventing people from burning back to gates, you'd want a hull bonused with effectiveness of webs (-90% speed reduction) like the Vigilant or the Daredevil. Daredevil is commonly used in WHC at least to stop high mass ship burning back to the wormhole for their return trip.
Just a humble scout
Budda Sereda

Post by Budda Sereda »

Published all posted fits.