State of the Wiki: Q2 2023 Report

Use this to discuss edits or changes to the wiki.
Arin Mara
Wiki Manager
Wiki Manager

Post by Arin Mara »

____________________ ____________________ ____________________

Wiki contributors do their work in the dark. You don't know who they are unless you look for them on the Page History or Recent Edits. This Report shines a spotlight on the Pages and Editors who have made the Wiki more beautiful and more truthful over the previous three months. :sunny:

I write these Reports to encourage capsuleers to continue contributing to the Wiki, to share the credit for Wiki's upward trajectory and to refine my thinking about the Wiki and the capsuleers who make it.

Writing About Writing the Wiki Report

Every time a capsuleer makes a significant contribution to the Wiki, I take a note. Every three months I gather the notes and expand each one into a paragraph or two about why I thought it is a significant contribution worth highlighting. Afterwards, I edit the text, format and publish it.

However, this time my attention has been eaten by other duties so I've asked Wiki Curators Salartarium and Evon to write a sentence or four about why each of these contributions are praise worthy or valuable or both. Enjoy! :)

Template (EVE University) Events

Template:EVEUniEvent has been rewritten and implemented across the Events pages. This effort was one of the UniWiki:Projects that Salartarium took up. This will make hosting Events pleasurable and accessible as a maintainable library of resources is built.

Salartarium also took it upon themselves to update all references to the old "People and Places" Neocom window to their new, separate "Contacts" and "Locations". Hopefully, CCP follows suit in-game soon.

The Big Blue

Vult Skerris has been busy. They have created an article on Bloc warfare to better explain the way large coalitions organize and fight over null sec space. Will EVE University soon finalize its plans to take Sov?

Vult Skerris has also added a lot of ship notes so that you can learn the etymology of a ship's name while you learn how to fly it.

Upcoming Editor

Cedric Zippo has made numerous updates to the wiki over the last quarter. Will they become the next Wiki Curator or will you rise to the challenge?

The epic JPNS

JohnPlayerNotSpecial has recently uploaded videos on the Epic Arcs! These valuable tools provide a quick reference on what to expect in each segment of the arcs.

Wiki Circa mining

Quite a bit of the wiki is years out of date or incomplete. One of the most often requested prioritizations is to improve mining information. Mining crystals has been created and added to our growing repository of modern information along with numerous ore.

Gas, and ice site pages haven been worked on by dozens of editors.

There is still a great demand for various types of mining information to de updated, from how to fit the perfect miner to where different ore is located.

Fleet formations

Maiena has updated the Fleet interface article with a large amount of information. You can now read how to fly in style with your friends and avoid dangers like bubbles and mid-warp smartbombers.

Stealth Bombers

Stealth Bombers has been rewritten by Élan Vital. This captivating subclass of frigates has long been hard to get into for new players and the wiki now has an up to date, comprehensive overview. The best now uses wiki best practices such as color coding different terms and is written in a neutral, third-person point of view.

Capsuleer Day XX

This article is a true community effort. The page's framework was provided by Evon R'al. Gewinner 2170 added the Agency Campaign rewards. Information about the Agency Campaign's task was supplied by Larenon en Marland, Cedric Zippo and Elios Aldent.

High sec combat sites articles where written and linked to by Cedric Zippo. Sadly, no one has done this for the non high sec and data sites. Will YOU be doing that next Capsuleer Day?

Medical boosters

Thank you Zee Cesaille for adding the faction warfare boosters to this article.

Planetary Commodities

Lorzonic Orti spent some serious effort getting this article updated. Very much appreciated.

UniWiki:Projects

The UniWiki project Import Sidebar with collapsible lists was taken up and off to a good start. The plain Sidebar was published and a number of the eligible templates were converted to use it. Work on importing the collapsible list version continues.

WHC Bookmark Naming Scheme

Thanks to Lord Finnbar this article is freed of its update banner and its contents brought in line with the current state of affairs. Reducing the amount of pages in the needing updates category but it ain't empty yet. :)

Incursion Staging sites

Incursion Scout sites were renamed to Staging sites the wiki did not have implemented that. This was noticed by Juan Rotsuda who updated the Incursion sites article and the accompanying template. Juan also took care that the relative images have the correct name.

Addendum - Wiki Project: Sidebar

I disagreed about how the new standardized Template:Sidebar should look like. I wanted the Sidebar to have horizontally stacked elements.

I explained:

Code: Select all

Among all Options I prefer [Option 2 over Option 1](https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/index.php?title=User:Evon_R%27al/Draft&oldid=203702) (over all other Options) because:
* Fits more links:
    * Siderbars like {{SistersOfEVEEpicArcNav}} that have lots of links that will spill over the bottom of the screen if they are formatted one under another in a single column
    * Having more horizontal space will allow editors to create and split Pages into smaller pieces without worrying the Sidebar growing too tall
* Efficient of space: there's less blank space under each heading
* Re-uses {{Flatlist}} formatting: Flatlist is already used on another type of Navigational Template, the Navbar; by using it on all Navigational Templates, we achieve a more uniform Wiki look as well as allow links to have child links in brackets
* Proven design: Sidebars on Wikipedia that use this style look great: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Acids_and_bases or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Alexander_the_Great_series
* Doesn't have a padding gap between the last and second to last links within each heading: between Distribution Reports and Mining Reports; Distribution Guide and Mining Guide; Circle and Faction Warfare; Mission ships and Career Agents; not sure why the padding is different between those pairs

However, there is something to be said for picking Option 1 over Option 2:
* Tradition: that's how most of the Sidebars that currently exist look like
* No linebreak fiddling with {{Flatlist}}: each link gets its own row which is simpler to implement (however! Here you have to fiddle with raw HTML element <br>)
So why doesn't the Template:Sidebar look the way I wanted? I could have used my Manager powers to enforce my will.

I didn't because I believe that the person who put in the effort, who took up the Wiki Project, should have a high degree of creative control over the design and style. Besides, having two very different Navigational Templates is a boon rather then a misconfiguration. :)

Once again, thank you Evon! :)

Veridian Wiki Expansion

Hours after Viridian went live everyone chipped in and created the:
Thank you all for making the Wiki the most beautiful and truthful publicly available knowledge repository in all of New Eden. :)

These double horizontal line dividers are cool! I'll use them more often.
Ewige Blumenkraft

Re: State of the Wiki: Q2 2023 Report

Post by Ewige Blumenkraft »

Obviously, I do not speak for Élan Vital, though I know him well. I relayed this marvelous missive and Élan had this to say:

"An illustrative tale:
* I read the previous Stealth Bomber article and had a number of issues with it. I commented about my dissatisfaction with the page.
* Arin Mara said something to the effect of 'Fantastic. You've noticed what this page needs. I expect you'll be taking care of that, as much as you obviously care about this?' (much more charming than this, but this is how I took it. Don't just stand there; do something.)
* And what could I say but, yes, I'll fix this.
* I flew with Cryptic Sharvas a whole lot in Pochven, performing copious practical research. We delivered a whole lot of torpedoes the old fashioned way, the Wingspan way--with a kind of customer service that is oft overlooked and under appreciated in the modern world. You could say that we were paying homage to a different time, when torpedoes came in butcher paper, lovingly tied off with twine in a remarkably overdone fashion not unlike a Wes Anderson set dressing.

And while it might have taken nearly a year, I finally got it published with the help of the lovely Wiki marvels. Thank you, Salarartium and Arin Mara. You make great things possible. This was a work of love."

And I thank you all on behalf of Élan.

P.S. Kudos for dropping the Big Blue reference. I love history.
Ewige Blumenkraft
EVE University alumnus, bon vivant, and Uni Fight Club afficianado
don't bring a needle to a haystack fight