EVE Academy: Wiki and Non-Wiki Resources

Use this to discuss edits or changes to the wiki.
Arin Mara

Post by Arin Mara »

I've analyzed which learning resources EVE Academy finds valuable. EVE Academy was created by CCP to help sate the ever increasing knowledge appetites of New Eden's novice capsuleers.

EVE Academy makes extensive use of EVE University Wiki Pages:
  • Educational EVE Partners: 25+, EVE University Wiki is one of them
  • Wiki Page links: 27 or 25% of all educational links
  • Non-Wiki links: 79 or 75% of all educational links

Wiki Page Links
Spoiler
I expect lots of novice capsuleers will visit these Wiki Pages. We should insure that these Pages are especially truthful, beautiful and accessible to beginners. Do you want to edit the Wiki but don't know which Page you should edit first? Pick a Page from the list! :)

I wrote a Report and made a sortable table of new player Wiki guides for Director of Education YooJin Moon (refrain from asking what possessed me to make a 1000+ data point table :D). I submit that a Wiki Page is intended for beginners if EVE Academy links to it. ;)

Non-Wiki Page Links
Spoiler
If EVE Academy links to a resource that isn't a Wiki Page, it doesn't mean that the equivalent Wiki Page is ugly, full of falsehoods or convoluted.
However, we should still seek to incorporate these resources into our Wiki so that she may become the best publicly available knowledge repository in all of New Eden! :)
Arin's Guristas Mission Expedition: Anomic Burners
Hideo Date
Communications Manager
Communications Manager
Title: Personnel Officer, Jilo's New Personal Assistant, Sophomore

Re: EVE Academy: Wiki and Non-Wiki Resources

Post by Hideo Date »

Arin, you are amazing.
Comms Manager

You can find me on Twitter @hideo_date
I stream over at: https://www.twitch.tv/hideodate
Check out my blog at hideodate.WordPress.com

EX-Comms Manager and PO
Arin Mara

Post by Arin Mara »

Aaaaaaw! Thanks Hideo! :) :) :) Kind words like yours is what keeps me going through the wrist pain of clicking through 600 links :D ahahahahahah

Teaching Manager Mike Kingswell confirm my suspicions that the Academy will expand in the coming weeks. When it does, I'll try to update the link lists ;)
Hippla Tsero
Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post by Hippla Tsero »

brilliant - this really helps us to indirectly improve the Academy experience. I will take some time this weekend to look over the already linked articles, see if anything can be improved.

<3 Arin (but you already know that)
EVE University NSC Manager; Personnel Officer; Communications Officer

Social Media
https://twitter.com/EVEUniversity/
https://www.facebook.com/EveUniversity/

EVE University blog:
https://www.eveuniversity.org/
Arin Mara

Post by Arin Mara »

Thank you so much Hippla :) :) Tell me if you see anything that can be improved. Perhaps I can even lend a hand :)

The Wiki Page that I'm most concerned about is the Anomic Missions. Thankfully, as you well know, I have recorded 1000 Null and 1000 High Security Security L4 Missions including a lot of Anomics. Unfortunately, I won't be able to write that Report just yet ;)
Koris the Second

Post by Koris the Second »

Oh wow, really amazing work. As always so many things I'd like to do and edit, yet so little time... :D
Arin Mara

Post by Arin Mara »

Thanks Koris! :) For those who don't know, Koris is one of thirteen who attended my Beautify the Wiki Event :) Time is the great limiting factor when it comes to the Wiki.
So why not organize an Event and divvy up the tasks? Well... organizing labor around any one Wiki topic is difficult: thousands of edits are required but their complexity ranges from mundane to byzantine and their flavor is quite different too.
Arin Mara

Post by Arin Mara »

Our own Teaching Manager Mike Kingswell appeared on the Talking in Stations Podcast to talk about EVE University, EVE Academy and the new player experience. It is a fascinating listen.

If you can't spare the 70 minutes then at least read my notes that summarize the topics: ;)
  • Ashley: EVE University Wiki is too complex for a beginner
  • EVE Academy has four career paths to avoid choice paralyzing beginners
  • Ten career paths are too much, two is too little, between three and six avoids choice paralysis
  • The four career paths are:
    • PvE: missions, abyss, epic arcs, DED
    • PvP: early PvP, how to get out of highsec
    • Exploration: scan, hack, wormholes, sleeper sites
    • Industrialist
  • CCP Aurora: most new players want to know "What do I do after the Sisters of EVE Epic Arc?"
  • CCP Aurora: anecdotal evidence says if a player asks "What do I do next?" then the probability of them sticking around for a month are 50%; if you provide them with options and they are still not sure what to do, then the probability falls to 1%
  • CCP Aurora: players that stick are those that set their own goals or have their goals set by a corporation; about 20% of players set their own goals and 80% have them set by a corporation
  • CCP Aurora: the new Stargate Trailblazers Event is designed to set your goal and to help new players interact and find out what to do
  • CCP Tiger Shark: EVE Academy is purposefully kept concise, it is not a replacement for EVE University Wiki, it is to build a bridge to other community resources
  • CCP Aurora: there would have to be a huge paradigm shift for us to add a fifth career path to the EVE Academy
  • CCP Aurora: EVE University Wiki pages are overwhelming; take the Tracking page for example
  • CCP Aurora: new players need to have a baseline activity and the ability to take on goals
Arin Mara

Post by Arin Mara »

If you have eagle eyes, you will have noticed that the EVE Academy page is no longer in Beta! :)
The individual subpages have not, but I was curious, if any new links were added. I'm happy to report that no new links were added to the Academy and that my original link list is still up to date :)