State of the Wiki Category:Guides

Use this to discuss edits or changes to the wiki.
Arin Mara

Post by Arin Mara »

Education Director YooJin Moon requested that a list of all Player's Guides be assembled. They wanted to discover which Wiki Guides should be maintained by the Teaching Department.

To assist the Director in making the best possible decision I have:
  • reduced the number of Wiki Guide pages in Category:Guides from 97 to 58 by removing Epic Arc, COSMOS and obviously complex guides not aimed at novice capsuleers [1] [2]
  • if a page is categorized under Category:Epic Arcs or Category:COSMOS I've removed them from their parent Category:Missions
  • added a primary and secondary Category if the Guide page didn't have it already
  • created a sortable table that links to the page, notes what its about, is it aimed at novice capsuleers, the last time it was updated and by whom - if you require the data in another form, let me know :)
  • converted dates from "April 2020" format to "2020/04" format so they can be sorted chronologically

I did not track down pages that aren't categorized under Category:Guides but should be. Those still new to be found and added.

Unresolved questions

• What is the difference between Category:Getting Started and Category:Guides? UniWiki Categorization Guide states that Category:Getting Started "... contains articles that are particularly useful for new players. A general rule of thumb for membership in this category is that these articles should be geared toward players who have just completed the Inception tutorial, and may be wondering what to do next.". [2]
  • UniWiki Categorization Guide and Category:Guides descriptions do not overlap. Which one should be updated if any?
  • How should the Wiki Guides that are on the edge of being useful to novice capsuleers, those marked with a "?" in the table, be categorized? Are Wormholes of interest to novices? Exploration sure is! What about how to complete a difficult Mission Guide?
  • What EVE University Department should be responsible for each Guide? I've marked my suggestion in the table as well.

The final answer has to be given by Management. However, feel free to voice your ideas, thoughts and tell me which Guide was particularly useful to you when you were a novice capsuleer. :)

Curios

[1] I have subcategorized Epic Arcs and COSMOS pages under Category:Missions.
[2] UniWiki Categorization Guide by Djavin Novienta states that "A "guide" is a walkthrough, set of step-by-step instructions, or explanation of a game mechanic or concept geared toward new players. Any page that does not meet this definition should not be assigned to Category:Guides. If a Guide is not aimed at novice capsuleers, it should be under Category:Guides.
Hirmuolio Pine
Title: Wiki Curator, Graduate

Re: State of the Wiki Category:Guides

Post by Hirmuolio Pine »

What about guides that are not suitable for new players? They are still guides and need a home to live in.
I think limiting the "guides" gatecory to only include certain kinds of guides in the wrong approach. It should be the general all guides containing category and the more limited guide gatecory should be elsewhere.
Arin Mara

Post by Arin Mara »

I couldn't agree more. I think we could persuade Management to edit UniWiki Categorization Guide Forum Post and strike:
Djavin Novienta wrote: 2017.05.06 18:30 Guides
For the purposes of the UniWiki, a "guide" is a walkthrough, set of step-by-step instructions, or explanation of a game mechanic or concept geared toward new players. Any page that does not meet this definition should not be assigned to Category:Guides. For more information, see Category:Guides.
This way, all Guides could be housed under the Category:Guides and all Wiki Pages, not just Guides, oriented towards novice capsuleers could live under the Category:Getting Started.

However, until such a time, I feel bound by tradition to implement the wishes of the previous Wiki Manager.
YooJin Moon
Director of Education
Director of Education

Post by YooJin Moon »

The above requested edit to the "Guides" statement has been made.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Arin Mara

Post by Arin Mara »

Marvelous! :)

Now that YooJin has shattered the shackles of tradition I've added back the Guides to the Category:Guides and have added Guides I have deemed appropriate and important for New Players to the Category:Getting Started.

I've also harmonized the Wiki and Forum Guide Category descriptions.

Curiously, Category:Guides is a subcategory of the Category:Getting Started. Huh. :D