<<

Titus Tallang

Portrait

Director of Special Projects

Post 2016.05.08 10:18

Capital Ship skill plans - Carrier edition

Alright, I finally got around to it.

The below skill plans are guidelines for piloting the four races' brand new Carrier-class vessels, updated to the Citadel expansion.

For each ship, there will be four skill plans:

1. Minimum level: This is the "more ISK than sense" level. Below this level of skills, you shouldn't even consider taking your capital into combat. This level provides basic functionality, but is still very noticably inferior to a properly trained pilot's ship.
  2. Basic level: This is the baseline that most capital pilots should aim for at first. It provides a solid foundation of skills that increase your capital ship's effectiveness in combat, making it vastly superior to the Minimum level while still avoiding overly long skill trains. Optimal it may not be, but it gets the job done. Mostly.
  3. Actually Good level: This is the level that capital ship pilots should aspire to. It includes skills that, while taking a fairly long time to train, will greatly augment your capital ship and presents a strong increase in performance over the Basic level. If you are looking to join a non-Uni entity with your capital ship, this is what you should have.
  4. Advanced level: The perfectionist's level. Skills in this plan will likely not provide a huge impact, and are typically long trains for a rather mediocre increase in combat effectiveness. If you're running out of things to train, this is for you.
All of these plans are incremental, meaning the Basic skill plan also contains all the skills included in the Minimum plan, etc.

A few obvious questions to answer right away:
SPOILER WARNING!
Q: Why even offer a Minimum level if you're going to say everyone should have Basic?
Because I know that, otherwise, someone somewhere will rip out the Basic plan's guts without knowing what they're doing because they want to fly a cap more quickly. Not saying it's a smart thing. The Minimum plan is there to ensure they can't actively endanger the fleet by doing so.

Q: But Titus, do I really need <skill X> to fly a carrier? I know it's in the Minimum plan, but...
Yes. If you think you have a point beyond "but muh 7 days of training", make it below.

Q: Cyno I at Minimum level?
A: Every pilot needs to have Cyno trained. No exceptions.

Q: Fighter Hangar Management IV in Basic?
A: Having this unlocks T2 Fighter Support Units.

Q: Shield skills on my armor caps?
A: On a capital ship, 5% of your maximum shields is still a lot.

Q: Anchoring III?
A: Allows you to drop mobile cyno inhibitors, mobile scan inhibitors and some other handy gadgets. It's, what, 10 hours to train? Just do it.

Q: Resistance Phasing?
A: It's a requirement for the new capital Flex hardeners.

Archon - Minimum
Archon - Basic
Archon - Actually Good
Archon - Advanced

Thanatos - Minimum
Thanatos - Basic
Thanatos - Actually Good
Thanatos - Advanced

Chimera - Minimum
Chimera - Basic
Chimera - Actually Good
Chimera - Advanced

Nidhoggur - Minimum
Nidhoggur - Basic
Nidhoggur - Actually Good
Nidhoggur - Advanced

That is all. Questions, comments, constructive criticism and other stuff go below.
Scientia potentia est.
If a statement I made seems offensive to you, please be assured that this was not my intent.
If I am mistaken about something, please tell me about it. We improve through sharing knowledge.
<<

Bunny Crusher

Portrait

Post 2016.05.08 12:00

Re: Capital Ship skill plans - Carrier edition

When I click on these it gives a block of code like text. Is this intended for an import instead of a checklist? And If so, is it universal code or only works in a certain program?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
<<

Titus Tallang

Portrait

Post 2016.05.08 12:23

They can be imported into EVEMon (or any program that reads EVEMon plan exports).
Scientia potentia est.
If a statement I made seems offensive to you, please be assured that this was not my intent.
If I am mistaken about something, please tell me about it. We improve through sharing knowledge.
<<

little nemo

Portrait

Post 2016.05.08 15:17

Have these been updated?
<<

Lynx Artrald

Portrait

Post 2016.05.08 17:59

The below skill plans are guidelines for piloting the four races' brand new Carrier-class vessels, updated to the Citadel expansion.

I would guess they have been updated...

Thanks for taking the time to put all this together, Titus. I may just plug this in now...
Lynx Artrald - Black Shark Cult [-JAWS] http://reddit.com/r/blacksharkcult | LSC | WHC | capsuleejected.wordpress.com
<<

Rashar Arji

Portrait

Post 2016.05.08 18:41

little nemo wrote:Have these been updated?

No, it's a year old post draft that Titus realised that he should post without going through what was actually written :) /s
<<

Bunny Crusher

Portrait

Post 2016.05.08 19:29

OK, I managed to import the XML, and I certainly have a few questions.

Looking at the "actually pretty good" level. for Thanatos.

A few skills I've no Idea why:

Biology
Anchoring
Neurotoxin's

What are these for?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
<<

Rashar Arji

Portrait

Post 2016.05.08 20:15

Bunny Crusher wrote:Biology

Increases the duration of a drug/booster.
Bunny Crusher wrote:Anchoring

Training this to level III allows you to anchor nifty stuff like Mobile Cyno Inhibitor which denies cyno activtion in a defined area.
Bunny Crusher wrote:Neurotoxin

This lowers chance for and the effect of any side effects from drugs/boosters.

They're all super important in PVP. If you're training your carrier for PVE you should still train them but you can put them on the back burner a bit.
<<

Bunny Crusher

Portrait

Post 2016.05.08 20:31

right, training to be a druggy......

never thought I'd say that o.O
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
<<

Isilia Chent-Sha

Portrait

Post 2016.06.21 11:40

One quick question, why not have the capital repair skills in any of the plans?
I would think that would be a required skill as well to be able to repair your shield or armor while in space, and at a minimum should be to level 4 for the T2 versions but the skills are not included at all.
<<

Titus Tallang

Portrait

Post 2016.06.21 18:11

Because generally carriers are expected to be flown in a fleet with logistics support, either using armor plates (if extremely high alpha is expected) or just plain hardener modules for maximum resists.

If your specific use case (PvE, or small-gang solo carrier drops) mandate use of a local repairer, then feel free to include the skills in question.
Scientia potentia est.
<<

Sarge888 Amatin

Portrait

Post 2016.07.28 12:58

Could the general completion time be added for each skill template be added? For like a new character? Mostly for those who don't have evemon or are mobile and curious of the training time required.
Also thx for this, very curious to see how long it will take so I can decide if it's a good choice(I'm mobile).
<<

Melkor Gengod

Portrait

Post 2016.07.28 18:55

I can't be bothered importing them all to get times as obviously they wont be accurate as they will depend on remaps and implants so for a rough guide for the Archon

Minimum: 250days
Basic: 1 year
Actually Good: 1.5 years
Advanced: 2.5 years.

With 1.3bil of skills to buy too.

These figures were taken from a 3 month old toon without Implants. A full set of +5 or +4s will bring the times down considerably, as will making use of the bonus remaps you get with a new toon

What is worrying about that is that I am only 82 days away from Advanced on the Archon and the Apostle. I've been doing this too long.
<<

Mia Sedgwick

Portrait

Post 2016.07.29 14:24

Melkor Gengod wrote:I can't be bothered importing them all to get times as obviously they wont be accurate as they will depend on remaps and implants so for a rough guide for the Archon

These figures were taken from a 3 month old toon without Implants. A full set of +5 or +4s will bring the times down considerably, as will making use of the bonus remaps you get with a new toon

What is worrying about that is that I am only 82 days away from Advanced on the Archon and the Apostle. I've been doing this too long.

My Carrier/Triage alt is around 60mil SP, still got plenty of polishing to do when you consider Fighter and Remote Repair skills, if you focused on either Fighters or Triage though you can certainly get a decent toon in around a year.
<<

Melkor Gengod

Portrait

Post 2016.07.30 00:56

Mia Sedgwick wrote:
Melkor Gengod wrote:I can't be bothered importing them all to get times as obviously they wont be accurate as they will depend on remaps and implants so for a rough guide for the Archon

My Carrier/Triage alt is around 60mil SP, still got plenty of polishing to do when you consider Fighter and Remote Repair skills, if you focused on either Fighters or Triage though you can certainly get a decent toon in around a year.

Mines on 65, but she trained into the Providence and Ark first. It has been a long slog to get to this point, nearly 3 years. But just Light fighters V and Capital Capacitor Emission Systems V left and I can stop looking at 40 day trains for a bit :) At least the supports are all there so cross training in to the races shouldn't take too long.
Next

Return to Capital Ships