question about POS bashing dreads

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Toshiro Hasegawa

Portrait

Post 2015.09.20 00:30

question about POS bashing dreads

I want know what dread is best / better for POS bashing.

I can almost fly all of the ships but cant use the weapons yet .. have Hybrid and Energy L V and close to having the other 2 .. under 30 days for both. Then the capital weapon skills themselves. Long story show i can fly any of them "soon". But dont know which i should go for for POS bashing. Not concerned with other fleet actions yet .. just that very specific role.

I see the revelation wont doest even get mentioned at all, but the lack of ammo sounds appealing in a POS bash role.

What so bad about the revelation anyhow ?

How high does one need to get the capital weapon skills / dread ship skills ? is 3-4 fine ?
<<

Daniel Wittaker

Portrait

Post 2015.09.20 07:19

Re: question about POS bashing dreads

Couple things.

Pretty much any dread will work fine for bashing a POS. It's not super-hard, and if you've got refitting available (you should, either via a carrier or from a Mobile Depot), even the Revelation can be at jump cap following a siege cycle. Sure, some dreads do more DPS than others, but the EHP of a POS is such that it really shouldn't be a big deal.

Hence, you should choose based on what other roles you want the dread to perform. Wormhole guys will tell you more stuff than I can about wormhole dreads. Nullsec hasn't used them for a lot lately, but the Naglfar currently is, and is likely to remain, the most popular choice by far.

The main problem with the Rev is the slot layout. With only four mids, it can only be effectively armor-tanked. That's a problem because you want to be able to run the same tank as your supporting capitals, and ideally, your supporting subcapitals. And without midslots, it's a lot harder to fit the modules you want your dread to be able to fit--a MWD for faster warping, cap boosters/rechargers, TCs, TPs, SeBos, etc. Even the Moros' 5-mid layout can comfortable accommodate a 4-hardener+cap shield booster setup.

The other problem is the tracking--the worst of any dread.

So the Naglfar gets generous rrange, a flexible slot layout, and selectable damage types. The Moros deals crazy DPS (~30% more than the Nag at optiomal), and has better base tracking (the Naglfar can frequently surpass the Moros' tracking, by virtue of Dem Slots). The Pheonix has insane range, strong DPS over that range, and an absolutely bullshit shield tank.

The Revelation looks very nice (which legit counts unless you're doing some baller dread stuff). The biggest advantages would be its ability to swap ammo on the fly, and not having to reload. The longer range of pulses means you can smack stuff at ranges other dreads can't. It's also better at armor tanking than either the Moros or the Nag, thanks to all those lowslots. But to be honest, most times that you're going to lose your dread, a different dread wouldn't have helped.

Not needing ammo could matter to you, if physically sourcing it from highsec is a problem. If you're really going to burn through that much XL ammo, however, you're going to be filling your cargohold with stront anyway.

---

Note that all of this can change. There's a capital rebalance coming Soon (TM). You could see dreads get dedicated ammo holds. They could completely change the way siege works. And so on.

I would advise examining whether you really want to invest in a dread just yet, to be honest. They''re expensive and offer very little in the way of utility. On the upside, you could train the skills (they're very cheap) and buy the dread of your choosing if, say, a dragonslayer event popped up.
<<

Mia Sedgwick

Portrait

Post 2015.09.20 08:22

Just to chime in for w-space, generally speaking the Naglfar is king with the Phoenix a close second for PvP as they have capless weapon systems, the Moros does still see some use but it's mainly seen when the other side can't bring a lot of neuts to the field, for tower bashing or farming. The Rev just isn't used much, ever, for anything as the other dreads do everything better.

From what you've said, I'd say go for a Moros, main thing you'll want though is T2 siege (regardless of dread type) with Dread 4, Capital Hybrids 4 plus gunnery supports at 4 as a minimum as leaving these lower does have a noticeable impact on your dps.
<<

Vukae Dhoul

Portrait

Post 2015.09.20 11:00

The first details of the capital rebalance are due to be announced at EVE Vegas (in about a month) I believe, so it may be worthwhile waiting until then before committing too much ISK/time.
<<

Toshiro Hasegawa

Portrait

Post 2015.09.20 22:10

thanks for the responses.

I am thinking short term requirement with these things if the people bugging us at NSC become an issue .. if not it doesnt really matter. I like the idea of flying them as a vet it is an area of the game i know almost nothing about .. managed to avoid POS grinding.. but now i see it as a content plus and player challenge. Not to worried about the isk either .. i dont have any other vices or hobbies .. so the od plex or two aint gona set me back. Got to use a carrier in combat today .. sorta got tackled off station during an op .. cause im a partial twit .. but i had immense fun, killed alot of drones with my smart bomb, created content for the rest of the fleet and got rescued. The idea of doing more of that for giggles seems like a plus.
<<

Daniel Wittaker

Portrait

Post 2015.09.21 09:05

For the price of a dread (~3.5b, last time I bought one) you can buy several carriers to play stupidly with.

The thing about a dread in K-space is that you can't do shit on your own. You absolutely need subcap and capital support, and you have absolutely no get-out-of-jail-free cards. While a carrier can do a lot of refitting and effectively fight subcaps, the dread's got one trick--siege mode. And it's not gonna hit anything that's not webbed and TP'd.

Since you're so dependent on subcaps being able to stay on field and carriers staying alive (to rep you if/when you survive a siege cycle), you can't drop dreads and hammer an I-win button vs subcaps. If you're getting pushed around by dudes in subcap/capital engagements, they're gonna push you around and kill your dread if you deploy one. Carriers, meanwhile, can really throw their weight around with triage and some (relatively) light damage.

You might be able to use a dread to break triage reps if you're having trouble with those, but only if your dread is able to tank the opposing fleet. In other words, smaller engagements only. Otherwise, you're trading a dread to kill a carrier, and the dread is both twice as expensive and significantly harder to replace. Frankly, a much better option is to counter triage with neuts.

I'd sharpen your carrier skills. Get JDC V if you haven't already, then all capital reps (save hull) to IV, then T2 Triage. From there, you have a bunch of options that work out to costing the same as a dread.

--Grab Carrier V for Amarr or Caldari Carrier, buy a second Archon/Chimera and rig it for either cap or buffer, whatever your first one didn't have
--Crosstrain Amarr/Caldari Carrier IV and buy one of those
--Pick up Minmatar Carrier IV, plus a Nidhog for a situational Super Triage (not a super-great option if you don't have structures to hero-rep)
<<

Candide Madullier

Portrait

Post 2015.09.21 22:03

Don't get a rev. Nag or Moros are really your best first dread. T2 siege is practically required because of its tracking bonus. And don't drop it unless you are in an alliance that has dreads and has a plan.

I second Daniels plan of training up carrier and jump skills and getting T2 triage. You're just never going to use the dread whereas the carrier has all sorts of versatility.
<<

Secondary Khanid

Portrait

Post 2015.09.23 20:16

You can do fun things with a Phoenix on your own, but you're extremely unlikely to. Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q83Qr8iqfg
<<

Daniel Wittaker

Portrait

Post 2015.09.24 04:00

That was fucking hilarious. And then he just jumped out and I lost it.

Return to Capital Ships