Turning a JF character into a capital character

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Lill Oddleif

Portrait

Post 2015.07.28 14:33

Turning a JF character into a capital character

So, not too long ago I was a complete newbie. And as a newbie I started googling for stuff on how the game works and came across the E-Uni wiki. I applied and now here I am.

But before that I saw this thing called 'wars', and that it was recommended to make an alt hauler. Except I didn't make it on the same account, and didn't stop training it. The adorable little newbie I was, I focussed on Gallente Industrial, "because those have the specialized hauling ships" and eventually moved up to the DST and BR.

Thing is, I didn't just train ship skills. I trained pretty much every support skill that could ever be useful on any of those ships to IV or V. Full flight of ECM drones? Check. Shield skills? All to IV or V. Armour? Yep, even the Compensation skills. Hell it has Thermodynamics IV even if I've never even had to overheat my hardeners.

Fast forward to now and I have an alt hauler that is able to sit in an Anshar in two months with very good support skills. Add another two for getting Jump Freighters to IV, Jump Drive Calibration V and Jump Fuel Conservation IV.

And... then what? I could go for the perfectionist route and get every support skill to V. Sure, I'll probably do that for JF and Jump Fuel Conservation fairly quick, but still - the character is going to run into the realm of 'useless' or 'nearly useless' skills really quick. I mean... do I really need EM Armor Compensation V for that shield tanked Nereus I never undock anymore?

So I figured: why not see if it's viable to make a capital alt. Initially I figured, just stop training the JF alt and make a new one for caps. But, loading in Titus' "Archon minimum" plan leaves only 100 days of training with an already optimal int/per remap on my JF alt. Yeah I know, don't undock with the minimum plan, this is just for getting a rough estimate on time spent training. :P Plus, it can still be a suitcase. Not a bad suitcase even, with the jump skills inherited from the Anshar.

To me seems like a good idea - having all the jump drive skills and Advanced Spaceship Command done already leaves it with a relatively short train, especially compared to a brand new character. Already having a lot of the support skills down already leaves it with an even shorter skill plan.

So, yeah. Questions.
- Is it viable or even a good idea to have a JF alt start crosstraining into also being a capital alt? If not, why?
- The Archon choice is entirely arbitrary; at the end of the day the character can train into any carrier at the same speed (unless you count the starter Gallente Frigate II as being significant). Would training into a Chimera, Nidhoggur or Thanatos be a better idea, and if so, why?
- Dreads... I personally discount them already. Obviously the character has no real gunnery skills whatsoever - but then again neither does it have any logistics skills. However, it's unlikely I'll end up using a dread for a good reason any time soon - a lot more unlikely than a carrier anyways. I can always train up a dread after carrier. Good line of reasoning, or no?
- Cybernetics... I currently just use a +4 set since I don't feel the +5's are worth training Cybernetics V for. However; when flying a capital, e.g. Archon, running a set of high-grade slave becomes a lot more interesting. Is it worth adding this right to the top of my skill plan and buying slaves right off the bat? Sure, it's a big investment, but it also comes with the +5 to attributes, lowering the training time right away. And if I'll want them eventually; might as well benefit from it.
Last edited by Lill Oddleif on 2015.07.28 14:49, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Affra

Portrait

Post 2015.07.28 14:37

Re: Turning a JF character into a capital character

That is exactly what I did, first he was my mining char, then became my hauler, and I trained him up to Jumpfreighters and its now my Archon pilot.

He can also sit in a Rorqual and run mining Mindlinks :)
<<

Melkor Gengod

Portrait

Post 2015.07.28 14:43

Affra wrote:That is exactly what I did, first he was my mining char, then became my hauler, and I trained him up to Jumpfreighters and its now my Archon pilot.

He can also sit in a Rorqual and run mining Mindlinks :)

Me too..... My alts started as traders, became haulers JF pilots and can now all fly carriers. It seems to be the logical path.

Also if you are already on the Gallente path, cross training to the Archon is pretty simple. One of my pilots went in reverse, from Archon to Thanny and the only real difference in skill plan was Gallente Carrier 1-5, Gallente sensor comp 1-5 and a few more drone skills. Going from Gallente to Amarr will be similar except the drone skills will be replaced by cap skills and armour repping skills
<<

Dune Barphsaq

Portrait

Director of Human Resources
Director of Human Resources

Post 2015.07.28 15:45

so a bit over a year ago I decided one day I would want a carrier alt, so I subbed my first 2nd account. I started her on the long train to an archon, planning to use it as a suitcase. She was able to sit in an archon the day after Phoebe :lol: Along the way I saw something shiny, and trained her into Freighters to make some iskies hauling, so she got distracted doing that. Then I decided she was close enough to do JF's, too, so I finished that train as well.

Now she's back on the archon train...

Director of Human Resources | NSC Officer | Graduate

Image Image Image
<<

Titus Tallang

Portrait

Director of Special Projects
Director of Special Projects

Post 2015.07.28 16:03

Yes to carriers, definite yes to cyber V, Archon or Chimera, Archon has more immediate use in Uni specifically. Train both imo.

From mobile, all usual disclaimers.
Scientia potentia est.
If a statement I made seems offensive to you, please be assured that this was not my intent.
If I am mistaken about something, please tell me about it. We improve through sharing knowledge.
<<

Rashar Arji

Portrait

Post 2015.07.28 17:29

Train nids, depending on where you go, they can come in handy ;) Plus, they're sexy and it's only the carrier skill, you got the rest for free from training chim/archon anyway.
<<

Daniel Wittaker

Portrait

Post 2015.07.28 21:04

Lill Oddleif wrote:- Is it viable or even a good idea to have a JF alt start crosstraining into also being a capital alt? If not, why?

Go for it. You could possibly get more optimal by training the JF alt and then buying a carrier pilot, but probably not, and it could get expensive.

- The Archon choice is entirely arbitrary; at the end of the day the character can train into any carrier at the same speed (unless you count the starter Gallente Frigate II as being significant). Would training into a Chimera, Nidhoggur or Thanatos be a better idea, and if so, why?

It all depends on where you want to end up. What do those guys use? Your first carrier should fit with whatever the most-used capital doctrine of your corp/alliance is. After that, you can get into eccentric choices.

- Dreads... I personally discount them already. Obviously the character has no real gunnery skills whatsoever - but then again neither does it have any logistics skills. However, it's unlikely I'll end up using a dread for a good reason any time soon - a lot more unlikely than a carrier anyways. I can always train up a dread after carrier. Good line of reasoning, or no?

Dreads are not in a great place in K-space. They're hilarious when they do get used, and are 3.5b isk hangar ornaments the other six months.

- Cybernetics... I currently just use a +4 set since I don't feel the +5's are worth training Cybernetics V for. However; when flying a capital, e.g. Archon, running a set of high-grade slave becomes a lot more interesting. Is it worth adding this right to the top of my skill plan and buying slaves right off the bat? Sure, it's a big investment, but it also comes with the +5 to attributes, lowering the training time right away. And if I'll want them eventually; might as well benefit from it.

+4s are fine and unless you do some very aggressive subcap triage support, you're never going to have use for Slaves.

The thing about a carrier is that it's deceptively cheap to lose. I mean, really cheap, because they insure so damn well. Slapping a lot of expensive bits onto one (if you lose your carrier, expect to lose your pod, so implants count) destroys that incredible efficiency. The only way it's worth it is if you've got a pricey subcap fleet depending on you. And even then, it's a little debatable.
<<

White 0rchid

Portrait

Post 2015.07.29 08:21

You've given me an idea. Thank you!

Return to Capital Ships