Spend a year on an alt or buy a carrier pilot?

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Sagekur Achasse

Portrait

Post 2015.05.20 17:36

Spend a year on an alt or buy a carrier pilot?

I've got an alt that is skilled and used as an OGB, complete with all Leadership skills, including Fleet Command V.

If I take Titus's Archon - Actually Good plan, I'm looking at a year to train this OGB alt to finish that.

Any real advantage to doing this as opposed to spending the what appears to be typical 25-30 billion isk for someone's else unwanted Archon pilot?

Declassification note 2015-05-31 wrote:Thread approved for declassification. ~TT
<<

helioswipe moondraft

Portrait

Events Manager
Events Manager

Post 2015.05.20 18:06

Re: Spend a year on an alt or buy a carrier pilot?

I guess that really depends on you, If you have the 25-30b isk on hand and are willing to spend it on a capital pilot. If you don't, training one is the other option. Then you'll have to wait a year, yes. "Time is money" or in this context: isk.
ImageImage
<<

I am Ozymandias

Portrait

Post 2015.05.20 18:08

As always in Eve it's either cheap and takes longer or it's expensive and is fairly quick.

The upside to making and training your own alt is that you get to design the Character at no additional cost, you can train only what you want and need and it thus will be "yours".

As opposed on the character bazaar you will generally pay more than what you would spend in PLEX, you pay for a name you didn't choose, a character you didn't sculpt and skills you maybe don't want.
<<

Sagekur Achasse

Portrait

Post 2015.05.20 22:54

I see that I didn't ask the right question, my apologies.

I'm aware of the time versus isk bit.

I could pause my alt's training queue where it is and leave it flying as a perfect OGB and fire up a completely customized carrier pilot in roughly 600 days in one of the other two slots. Or I could spend billions of isk and buy a pilot that might have its own problems and tweaks needed.

What I meant to ask was "Is there any advantage to skilling a perfect OGB into a Triage Archon? Any potential Uni application where a boosting carrier is desirable?"
<<

Grygr Anzomi

Portrait

Post 2015.05.20 23:02

I would probably have my carrier and OGB on different accounts if I were you so that if needs be you can use both at the same time. While you can put boosts on a carrier, it is to my knowledge a rare thing to do, thus I see little use for a boosting/carrier toon.

Also a carrier pilot shouldn't cost you anywhere near 25-30 bill, probably more around the 10 bill mark.
ALL IS WELL IN THE END, IF ALL'S NOT WELL ITS NOT THE END

Former NSC Manager| Teacher | Uni Nomad | Chill-Towner | Penguin
<<

I am Ozymandias

Portrait

Post 2015.05.20 23:25

As Grygr said, Triage and Boosting are two very different things yet complement each other perfectly.
Because of this I agree with Grygr that having your carrier on a different account than the booster is what you'd want to do.

Also if you have a perfect boosting alt with CSV nothing in the game is better than this. Just because you can put links on your ship doesn't mean you should :P but in all seriousness the carrier allows you to use links but they aren't bonused at all so it's not really interesting :/

On the otherhand I saw a great video of two solo supers in a regular fight refit off themselves to get skirmish links to be able to point the battleships they were shooting :D
<<

Sagekur Achasse

Portrait

Post 2015.05.20 23:54

Thank you gentlemen for pointing out the complementary nature of the OGB and Carrier being on separate accounts. Looks like it's time to get another account.

I only quoted 25-30 billion because a cursory glance at reasonable matching toons (Amarr Carrier, JDC and JFC at least IV) were bringing up those prices. If I really can find a decent carrier pilot for 10 billion, I have no issue liquidating some assets to pull that much isk together.

Some examples I've been seeing:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.as ... s&t=425402
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.as ... s&t=425309
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.as ... s&t=425471

I'll keep watch to see if a good deal appears.
<<

Grygr Anzomi

Portrait

Post 2015.05.21 09:45

Okay having alook at prices now 10b may be a bit low (in my defence I bought mine a year ago) but u also don't look at the perfect toons, u will pay premium for those. Instead look for fixer-uper, ones with one or two things which still need to be trained, or in my case a Logi toon who needed two months to do the jump skills and then it was good.
ALL IS WELL IN THE END, IF ALL'S NOT WELL ITS NOT THE END

Former NSC Manager| Teacher | Uni Nomad | Chill-Towner | Penguin
<<

Mia Sedgwick

Portrait

Post 2015.05.31 15:42

Grygr Anzomi wrote:Okay having alook at prices now 10b may be a bit low (in my defence I bought mine a year ago) but u also don't look at the perfect toons, u will pay premium for those. Instead look for fixer-uper, ones with one or two things which still need to be trained, or in my case a Logi toon who needed two months to do the jump skills and then it was good.

This, look for a toon with Logi 5, good capacitor and tank skills, from there it can be a fairly quick cross train. It also depends on how much you want to do now opposed to cross train at a later time, if you wanted an Archon pilot you could get a Logi 5 Guardian toon (which gives you something nice to fly while you train) but if you also wanted to do a shield triage carrier it could take a while to cross train the relevant supports as many "focused" toons on the bazaar have little to no shield skills of course.

Personally, I got a good starter, got T2 Triage pretty quickly then started on pushing through the various carrier 5 skills (not Gallente because lol), has it taken a while still, yes (48 days per Carrier 5), but Racial Carrier 4 is fine for PvP especially with Uni fleets where you are out for fun and rarely with a significant strategic objective where a max skill pilot might give you an edge.
<<

Sagekur Achasse

Portrait

Post 2015.05.31 16:37

Heh, in light of Mia's note, I'm tempted to just train carrier on my Uni main. After all, do I really need Marauders V? :)
<<

Jem Aideron

Portrait

Post 2015.08.09 03:06

If I had the money, and I wasn't planning to use the character for anything else and didn't care about it from a roleplaying perspective, I'd just buy the pilot.

But we humans are emotional, irrational creatures. You might buy it, grow to like it, and down the line regret that you didn't make the character "yours" from the start. If there's even the slightest chance I'd actually get attached to the character as a character, I'd train it from scratch.

Not a mechanics-heavy post but a psychological one; gotta consider that factor too as it tends to sneak up on you when you least expect (and want) it to.
Image Image Image Image Image
<<

Secondary Khanid

Portrait

Post 2015.08.14 01:49

sagekur slowcats need links too. A carrier dude with leadership skills can give hard to remove links to a cap fleet. Look up Paik's archon lossmails for exampls.
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2015.08.14 07:19

Buying a character also comes with issues like name and history. For some that's negligible, for others downright unacceptable :)
<<

Daniel Wittaker

Portrait

Post 2015.08.15 01:14

Shouldn't be a huge problem. There'll be a record of your transfer on the CB, and probably a chain of bids. If you were trying to get a spy cap pilot in somewhere, then it would be really easy to buy from a pubbie/neutral, so a cap pilot purchased from a red account doesn't raise an automatic flag unless your main looks fishy.

After all, grinding up the isk to buy a carrier alt is huge effort. There are easier ways to infiltrate cap-level auth groups.
<<

Klarion Sythis

Portrait

Post 2015.08.19 02:30

Spies aside, this boils down to your income. If you make huge amounts of isk, buying capitals alt(s) isn't a big deal. If you're dealing with more normal levels of isk, it's probably worth training one.
Next

Return to Capital Ships