Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Daniel Wittaker

Portrait

Post 2015.06.03 19:56

Re: Capital Ship fittings - carrier edition

Shirralia wrote:
Daniel Wittaker wrote:Then there's the awkward-as-hell 6/6/6 slot layout. Compare that to the Archon's 7/4/6, and the Chimmie's 4/7/6.

I AM SO VERY CONFUSED

None of the carriers have 6 high-slots.

Good catch, I'm working on minimal sleep here.

Mia Sedgwick wrote:Many ratting carriers are so poorly fit even a small gang of 8 or so with Ishtars and/or Gilas can take down a carrier with a cloaky Sabre keeping it tackled. If you're somehow able to lock a dictor then it should be the first thing you kill as bubbles will cause far more issues than points/scrams.

Precisely the situation extender rigs are good for. With CCCs, you're looking at a max of only ~1.6m EHP on the Chimmie. A gang that size could kill such a carrier in under five minutes. Sooner, if the carrier involved doesn't have a full-tank refit.

Archons are even worse. Sure, their tank is brutal, but you give up ~120k EHP right off the bat by not having any shields up.

Affra wrote:I rarely see carriers ratting now around the systems I frequent (I do a lot of exploring currently). It is mostly Ishtars, or the occational Marauder, sometimes T3 (especially for them 10/10 escallations).

Much of Branch is within Blops range of Venal. And Branch itself is heavily-trafficked, since anyone that wants to visit Deklein from NPC can go through Branch and be able to hit the northern end of Dek. The advantage there is that intel channels are usually set up by region. So terrible Goons ratting and mining in north Dek open up their Dek channel, but don't monitor the channel for the region two friggin' jumps away.

Plus Branch is really low-population and it's FCON/EXE, so there's no guarantee of massive escalation if your carrier gets tackled.

You could do it, but I imagine many FCON guys wouldn't want to tie up a carrier alt so far from Dek. And certainly not if there are enough signatures to go around.
<<

Lucius Thrawla

Portrait

Post 2015.06.04 15:55

Mia Sedgwick wrote:On the depot front, if they don't have one out when you get on grid I generally drop one on them to stop them from having the ability to refit so yeah, have one out asap if you carrier rat as it'll probably save your ass.

Ok, noob question. Maybe I'm just misreading you but it looks like you're saying that by you dropping a Mobile Depot it prevents the Carrier dropping one?

Is that correct?

Please explain this mechanic!

Thanks.
<<

Shirralia

Portrait

Post 2015.06.04 15:58

Lucius Thrawla wrote:
Mia Sedgwick wrote:On the depot front, if they don't have one out when you get on grid I generally drop one on them to stop them from having the ability to refit so yeah, have one out asap if you carrier rat as it'll probably save your ass.

Ok, noob question. Maybe I'm just misreading you but it looks like you're saying that by you dropping a Mobile Depot it prevents the Carrier dropping one?

Is that correct?

Please explain this mechanic!

Thanks.

Can't drop 2 depots within a certain range of each other. I believe it's 6km?
<<

Lucius Thrawla

Portrait

Post 2015.06.04 16:04

Today I learned...

Shirralia wrote:Can't drop 2 depots within a certain range of each other. I believe it's 6km?

Thank you!
<<

Mia Sedgwick

Portrait

Post 2015.06.04 20:14

Confirming it's 6km from another depot, ratting carriers that get webbed will take forever to get away and if its a dread or carrier in Siege/Triage then they are stuck with a hostile depot on them unless they kill it before it deploys (which in itself can be a nice way to relieve dps pressure).

<<

Daniel Wittaker

Portrait

Post 2015.06.04 23:26

The Triage cap simply won't be able to DPS down the MD, because it's got no DPS. So by dumping an MD on top of it, you're not only forcing it to go intro Triage with whatever it currently has fit, you're preventing it from spam-overheating its hardeners or refitting to cap.

Btw, two carriers in a site is way better than one carrier.

Siege'd dread shouldn't really happen. You only need a dread for a couple of the higher-end escalations, so a wormhole tackler would have to pop out, find you, and then probe you down before your single siege cycle ended and you jumped out. Which, you should have checked signatures in the surrounding area, it would have taken like five minutes to do. You have to be extremely careful with dreads, because you've got no cyno in your highs, and you have absolutely no way to hurt anything smaller than another cap on your own.

But I imagine there's always someone bad enough.
<<

Odowan Paleolithic

Portrait

Post 2015.06.06 23:12

So what are thanatos used for? Carrier-type Dread?
<<

Shirralia

Portrait

Post 2015.06.06 23:42

Ratting and as extra dps in capital escalations is about the only use where it's better than the Archon.

That and maybe I suppose you could solo-yolo drop it on ratting battleships the same way people solo-drop supers on ratting carriers. But that's probably stretching it a bit thin.
<<

Daniel Wittaker

Portrait

Post 2015.06.07 03:09

Not a hell of a lot in K-space. Nidhoggur is a better structure-repper and suicide triage. Archon is a superior DPS carrier--less damage but it has a resist bonus and a bonus to cap transfer range. Chimera is a superior ratting carrier, by a long shot. Archon and Chimera are better at combat triage, due to resist and cap transfer bonuses.

Using a Thanatos over an Archon for damage support only buys you a little under 400 DPS at Carriers V/Fighters V with two T2 DDAs and 10 Firbolgs. But it costs you over 500k EHP before bonuses at L5 skills. 1.9m EHP on the Archon vs 1.4m EHP on the Thanatos is quite significant. It would only be worthwhile if you were pimping and trying to avoid getting into a legit fight, (i.e.-cap escalations like Shirr says).

To compare, for K-space ratting, a 3-DDA Chimera does ~1500 DPS with Geckos, with all of its sexy mids free for tanking.

If you need DPS support in K-space escalation sites, they make these wonderful things called dreadnoughts. The Naglfar and Pheonix can be made to tank 10k+ DPS while delivering huge DPS to escalation structures.

Hence, I think the Thanatos is completely pointless.
<<

Bunny Crusher

Portrait

Post 2016.04.01 03:27

Halloo!

So, I've been reading a ton of stuff. And I understand the gallente carrier isn't the most efficient, however, I was wondering if it's still acceptable to fly them. Or perhaps a better question would be; Are gallente carriers prohibited due to thier inefficiency?

-Crusher
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
<<

Rashar Arji

Portrait

Post 2016.04.01 10:36

At the moment the Thanatos is pretty crap. Archons are the king of armour tanking, Nids reps a ton a get a nice massive shield burst tank and Chimeras are the best shield tankers. However, by the looks of things Gallente FAXes will be the better ones when the cap changes hit.
<<

Tonk Omnom

Portrait

Assistant Titles Manager
Assistant Titles Manager

Post 2016.04.01 11:13

Rashar Arji wrote:At the moment....

This will change in probably not even a months time. So any assessments done on carriers should be with the information gatherable on SiSi and the Capital Focus Group thread on reddit.
<<

Bunny Crusher

Portrait

Post 2016.04.01 11:57

Tonk Omnom wrote:
Rashar Arji wrote:At the moment....

This will change in probably not even a months time. So any assessments done on carriers should be with the information gatherable on SiSi and the Capital Focus Group thread on reddit.

Thank you for that refrence. It made for some very interesting reading.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
<<

Titus Tallang

Portrait

Director of Special Projects
Director of Special Projects

Post 2016.04.01 12:46

In the current patch, while no carrier is ever prohibited (I mean, it's your ISK after all), training into the Thanatos is (was?) still discouraged due to the Archon being superior in every regard.

Come the Citadel release though, it currently seems like the gallente FAX (the name eludes me at the moment) may be our go-to triage platform of choice, so training Gallente Carrier in preparation for that may be a possibility - it's what I'm doing right now, at least.
Scientia potentia est.
If a statement I made seems offensive to you, please be assured that this was not my intent.
If I am mistaken about something, please tell me about it. We improve through sharing knowledge.
<<

Kara Burnett

Portrait

Post 2016.04.02 12:32

I thought it was the Lif (Minmatar) that looked superior out of all the FAX ?
PreviousNext

Return to Capital Ships