Question about Rapid Torpedo Launcher

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Seamus Donohue

Portrait

Post 2016.10.05 02:50

Question about Rapid Torpedo Launcher

I'm preparing to record a new instructional video explaining the different sizes and ranges of missiles and the launchers that fire them. However, I've noticed an oddity with Rapid Torpedo Launchers that I can't understand.

Rapid Light Missile Launcher Is have slightly less than half the refire cycle time of Light Missile Launcher Is (7.8 seconds versus 16 seconds, before skills and bonuses). Similarly, Rapid Heavy Missile Launcher Is have much less cycle time than Heavy Missile Launcher Is (6.48s vs. 15s). However, comparing Rapid Torpedo Launcher I to Torpedo Launcher I goes against this trend (28.45s vs. 18s).

I have noticed that both variants of the Siege Module (used by the Phoenix Dreadnought) multiply the refire time by 0.2 and that the Leviathan Titan has a 15% bonus-per-level to reduce the refire time.

So, my question is this: are Rapid Torpedo Launchers intended to be useless on a Phoenix without Siege mode?
<<

White 0rchid

Portrait

Post 2016.10.05 07:34

Re: Question about Rapid Torpedo Launcher

Most weapons are fairly useless without Siege to be honest. But Rapid Torps are particularly bad, the worst of all the HAW weapon systems iirc.
<<

Seamus Donohue

Portrait

Post 2016.10.05 18:10

Okay, so with dreadnoughts generally, the mutually exclusive options are: (1) be able to put out useful DPS *OR* (2) be able to move?
<<

Rashar Arji

Portrait

Post 2016.10.05 19:10

Seamus Donohue wrote:Okay, so with dreadnoughts generally, the mutually exclusive options are: (1) be able to put out useful DPS *OR* (2) be able to move?

This is correct. You also get a bonus towards local tank but can't recieve remote assistance if in siege.
<<

Seamus Donohue

Portrait

Post 2016.10.05 20:01

Okay, thanks, that helps a lot! I know enough that I can proceed with recording. :D
<<

Rashar Arji

Portrait

Post 2016.10.05 20:14

You can still siege while moving though and slowly decelerate during the cycle. Shown here.

Return to Capital Ships