What I Learned Today in Incursions

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Kataki Soikutsu

Portrait

Post 2014.09.11 21:25

What I Learned Today in Incursions

The purpose of this thread is for pilot to share any new things they have learned about Incursions or EVE in general when running Incursions. It honestly can be any new piece of information you gained while doing Incursions, from how an NPC works to fleet structure to what an OGB is. As long as it is new info, you can post it here, even if someone else has posted it already.

One big problem Incursion runners in the UNI have is no record that they are running or learning in Incursions. There is no killboard, AAR, or class which registers that people are progressing. This thread is meant to fill that void and provide a location where pilots can demonstrate their growth in Incursions.

Pilots that just started FCing are recommended to start a forum thread about their fleets, instead of using this thread. That way other members can give feedback without cluttering this thread.

Remember no one is too experienced to post in this thread, everyone has something to learn.

Image Image
<<

Yuki Tsuruomo

Portrait

Post 2014.09.11 23:21

Re: What I Learned Today in Incursions

Today I learned how good it can feel to just rant about a certain drama-infested community for a short time.

So when you really can't hold it in, ask if you can get an R on the channel name for a minute and just... let it go :)

Since we don't actually run incursions atm (because of a certain drama-infested community) that's sadly all I learned today about incursions.
Incursionista | Teacher| Mentor

Do you feel lost in Eve? Are you looking for some guidance? Check out the Mentor Program!
Do you have a good knowledge of the game and want to pass it on to new players? Check out the Mentor Program!
<<

Starcofski

Portrait

Post 2014.09.12 02:56

Not necessarily today but: No matter how much you spend on modules, and crazy fits, sometimes you can't make a ship work.

I must've spent hours trying, but sometimes you just can't cut a square peg to fit in a round hole.
<<

helioswipe moondraft

Portrait

Events Manager
Events Manager

Post 2014.09.12 09:43

Not today aswell: But by doing tags in an assault fleet (aswell as civilian transport), I learned about kill order in the 2 assault sites(NCS & OCF). This makes me more interested to do assault sites myself.
ImageImage
<<

Rashar Arji

Portrait

Post 2014.09.12 09:47

I learned that you don't have to pay attention in Mom sites. It'll cost you a Basi but hey, you run incursions so you can buy a new one?

Sriously though, incursions aren't as bad as I thought they would be :)
<<

Solcan Cadelanne

Portrait

Post 2014.09.12 10:21

helioswipe moondraft wrote:Not today aswell: But by doing tags in an assault fleet (aswell as civilian transport), I learned about kill order in the 2 assault sites(NCS & OCF). This makes me more interested to do assault sites myself.

Awesome, more ASS FC's!
Overload This - HEATD

#rip Sleeper Social Club | Future Corp

Graduate | Teacher | Incursionista | NSC | WHC | TROLL

[13:14:59] Cassiel Seraphim > The same old, no fleet, more time for forum drama! :)
[13:15:07] Cassiel Seraphim > We're almost as good at that as we are running :)
<<

Le Loup Gris

Portrait

Post 2014.09.12 16:30

During a smoke break (smoking is bad) I red some old post and found the following:

"Someone was willing to be the drone bunny the first time yesterday even though it was only his thrid Incursion Fleet. I remembered that I didn't know in the beginning, when I flew my Rokh and was drone bunndy the first time, that webs are also aggressive modules and the drones will follow. He didn't know neither but did a good job in the end, realizing that some drones are not reacting and everything went smooth. So it goes."
That was written in July. And by the way, it was the time I started to write AWR (after week reports) to get a feedback on some incidents, actions, thoughts... well, I don't write them any more :/

I think i know who this drone bunny is... someone who is barking at me all the time as me and drones have a "special relationship", I always forget them. Still it's my No. 1 drone bunny ;)

So what I learned today: It's sometimes good to look back, see what "mistakes" you made and if you "improved". But also to see how others improved from a scub to No. 1 (to FC soon?).
<<

Kalen Tsero

Portrait

Post 2014.09.14 13:24

Rashar Arji wrote:I learned that you don't have to pay attention in Mom sites. It'll cost you a Basi but hey, you run incursions so you can buy a new one?

Sriously though, incursions aren't as bad as I thought they would be :)

And now you understand why I run them to fund my failings in lulsec
Ex-Mentor, Ex-Titles Officer, Ex-Ensign, Ex-WHC Education Officer, Graduate, ECM Teacher, "At least it was cap stable", "Please jam me", "The Jerk We Need"

<<

Paledan Safemal

Portrait

Post 2014.09.15 05:48

I was drone bunny in my first incursion fleet! Pinging away with my Harbinger (that was before Tracking Enhancers were nerfed). Eklipz, our FC, would call out two sets of targetting orders (three in MMCs) at every site, one for the DB and one for the rest of the fleet. That and providing a rolling explanation on why we were doing things one particular way. Not only did I learn about moderately important stuff like broadcasting and fleet tags, that was the most welcoming community I had come across.

Broadcasting and tagging can be assigned to hotkeys, and your average chimp can learn to do it. But how you handle new players (or the NPI to coin a current phrase) is one lesson worth not forgetting.
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2014.09.15 06:17

Paledan Safemal wrote:I was drone bunny in my first incursion fleet! Pinging away with my Harbinger (that was before Tracking Enhancers were nerfed). Eklipz, our FC, would call out two sets of targetting orders (three in MMCs) at every site, one for the DB and one for the rest of the fleet. That and providing a rolling explanation on why we were doing things one particular way. Not only did I learn about moderately important stuff like broadcasting and fleet tags, that was the most welcoming community I had come across.

Broadcasting and tagging can be assigned to hotkeys, and your average chimp can learn to do it. But how you handle new players (or the NPI to coin a current phrase) is one lesson worth not forgetting.
+1

Take care of new people, make them feel welcome, give them something to do etc, this is music to my ears :)
<<

Gol-goroth

Portrait

Post 2014.09.20 03:07

Today I flew (well, on an alt, Val Trevallion) with a group of Uni Incursion runners and did some Besieged sites. This was an excellent learning opportunity while the incursion drama plays out and a hearty thanks to Le Loup Gris and others for putting it together. I learned a bunch of stuff, but by far, the most important thing that came out of today is the realization that I need to redo my overview and get my act together re: gatecamps. I jumped through a gate, was followed and locked before I could warp, and there were so many ships on screen and on the overview that I couldn't find the gate in time to burn back to it (I doubt it would have helped, but I'd have liked to try). I'm just awful at that particular scenario, and I have to stop putting off figuring out how to deal with it. So I signed up for the agony unleashed class in hopes they have some answers.

I realize this isn't incursion-based knowledge, but it was done with Incursion runners in the absence of a viable focus.
“What strange, perplexing, questionable questions!” - Nietzsche
<<

Sora Ekanon

Portrait

Post 2014.09.23 05:46

Today (in my first incursion fleet) I learned to keep calm and just ask questions. I always got a great explanation and sometimes if I missed something, someone was kind enough to say "I know you're not used to this, but here's what you do ...."
But yeah, stay calm. It was a little overwhelming at first since I'm used to the slow pace of L4s in a sentry sniper potato, but I got used to it.
<<

Jeff Kione

Portrait

Post 2014.09.23 14:12

Gol-goroth wrote:I learned a bunch of stuff, but by far, the most important thing that came out of today is the realization that I need to redo my overview and get my act together re: gatecamps. I jumped through a gate, was followed and locked before I could warp, and there were so many ships on screen and on the overview that I couldn't find the gate in time to burn back to it (I doubt it would have helped, but I'd have liked to try).

Was that the Loki loss in low-sec? If so, you were traveling around in your Incursion fit (it looks like) as opposed to a travel fit. I'm not a Loki pilot, but if I were you, I'd consider adding the covert subsystem and swapping over to shields for traveling. If you can align+cloak+MWD after jumping through a gate you'll be in warp before they can find you in many cases.
<<

Tamino Giardina

Portrait

Post 2014.09.24 19:50

Today I did my first non mom HQ sites, I ran TCRC and TPPH, learned a little bit about then, like, where to move, and what to do at each stage, I haven't memorized a lot of things, like, kill order (as I only ran 4 sites), but some things are more familiar now, so, next time we ran HQs (I hope we get more oportunities on that), it will be more easier
<<

Izu Mizuki

Portrait

Post 2014.09.25 21:48

In the HQ fleets you must broadcast "Need Shields" or you are in a shit ton of trouble. Also, you must broadcast "In Position" or you dump a shit ton of trouble onto someone else. As a LOGI I was spending a lot of time trying to figure out who was still taking damage and who was not, so I could unlock them. Yes, at times I had 10 targets locked and there were "Need Shields" broadcasts in the window and no slots to lock them (and I was in a Scimitar!). I will make mistakes if left to this situation, and for that I apologize in advance... :twisted:

This has been fun, learning every day.....
Next

Return to Incursions