What I Learned Today in Incursions

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Johnathan Bolt

Portrait

Post 2018.04.01 07:33

Re: What I Learned Today in Incursions

I'm unable to catch up with the fleet regularly and every outing has it's challenges but worth it. Yesterday our first site was contested and it became a quick re-focus to the main Romi and Auga targets. Lost the site but the fleet wasn't contested again. Having another crew warp in is a bit of a heart starter, FC was cool and steadied the fleet.
Cheers
JB
<<

Xafen Katapi

Portrait

Post 2018.04.01 16:56

So I've been running incursions for a while now. I started picketing after seeing the calendar event for teaching Tuesdays on 7 March. I didn't know incursions were a thing until seeing that calendar event and looking at the forum post/wiki article. The calendar events are very important, imo, to getting new people. Our picket recruitment efforts have been quite successful when we shout-out in HSC chat we're looking for pickets. We've recruited something like 4-5 completely new pickets just in the past week from HSC with promises of vast wealth!

I started training towards a DD role shortly after starting picketing. Between a skill injector here and there It took me just a couple weeks to be able to fly a Nightmare. I initially was going for a Rokh, but it was just a couple more days to finish the minimum skills recommended for the Nightmare, so I just went ahead and did that and waited to fly on-grid until I bought the Nightmare.

I first flew on-grid on 25 March. It went pretty smooth after the first few sites. My biggest issue still is lock speed. After I finish training interceptors and interdictors I'll look at a few more skills for lock speed; also warp/align speed. Training for interceptors will get my evasive maneuver to V so that should help a little for the warp/align times. Even in a nightmare, I barely get things like the Narja and Sansha Nation Commander locked (usually half to 3/4 locked) before 1-2 other DD have killed them. In the meantime (before training more locking skills) I'll be looking at some drugs for targeting/locking speed.

On to the point of this post! Last night I FC'd for the first time. I figured I may as well as it always seems we're looking for someone to FC and it keeps us all sane to rotate who FCs to keep the stress levels down and the fun levels up.

The group was mostly veterans to start (aside from 2 brand new pickets!) so a quick run through of the FC checklist got us undocked. It took a few times to get the hang of warping the fleet (broadcast align to really should just automatically align YOU as well...), but after that we settled into a nice rhythm knocking out a bunch of NCOs. I started out following the FC guide, but it was pointed out that I could just learn what a couple of the ships did and call out what was in space. This avoided me calling out the wrong things getting the waves mixed up.

A short aside on F1 monkeys. People say FC is a good way to learn the actual event, and while I don't disagree with that, I think people knowing 1000% how to DD is important as well. As DD I may not know the exact role of a logi. Hopefully people aren't just F1 monkeying it up and are always looking for a way to improve their DD. Things like figuring out a good order to target things so your queue is always full of what you want to shoot next. Planning on only having 2 guns hit the Narja as it'll die to just that; your other 2 guns can get started on a Tama. I don't like grouping every single gun on F1 because if things are dying to less than 4 guns, you shouldn't really activate all 4 guns on 1 target wasting those weapon cycles. Those wasted cycles could have been hitting something else killing other stuff faster.

Back to FCing...we mostly stuck to NCOs. Our shortest time was ~5:30 I believe someone said, with an average site time of a bit over 7 minutes (with 2 breaks raising that time a lot). It was a pretty chill fleet moving at a relaxing pace but we managed to kill 20 sites and make some good ISK (~160M after picket payouts, 3 pickets, 2 new). We did venture into NMCs a couple times. One a group dropped on us after 2 waves so it wasn't really a contest; they left. The other (apparently a very high end group edit:TVP) wasn't a contest and we left the site as soon as we could when they came in. We started wave 1 of an NMC. Midway through the wave this group came in (note we were at minimums) and the decision was quickly made to warp out to the next site (even if they weren't the high end group, but that contributed to the decision). I waited until all scram NPCs were down, checked that everyone had bots in and were ready to warp, and we warped off absolutely perfectly right as the last 1-2 NPCs were dying before the 2nd wave spawned. We continued on our NCO chain with the other group leaving us to clear their path to OTAs and NMCs. We were running very smoothly on NCOs with decent times and we wern't dissapointed to continue running them.

A couple vets helped several times with a couple of the more complex bits that I hadn't directed before (NMC 5 Romi spawn, talking through Logi DC, war target warp off,etc.) and it was much appreciated.

Overall the night was a success and we made a decent amount of ISK. The pickets made out like gangbusters (especially 2 newbro pickets). 3 pickets cut into our profits a good bit and I'll definitely be hoping for a 1-2 picket system soon. ALL of the systems right now are 3 picket systems. I'll remember to make sure the OGB calls boosts, not myself. I don't remember calling it, but we were all getting a little loopy near the end of the multi hour late night run.

I'm sure I missed some points about what I learned, but for now, that'll do!

o7
<<

Gigabyte Ghekon

Portrait

Post 2018.04.17 05:27

I learned that people will notice if you almost enter the site early, because i did and someone called me on it haha
<<

Layna Altol

Portrait

Post 2018.06.21 01:17

WIL:

This is the main thread, not the reminder thread.

Bonus:
Targeting takes longer than you think - be prepared for that.
<<

Xavian Brightly

Portrait

Post 2018.06.21 01:47

What I learned is that I'd really like to continue doing incursions and that you all are great tippers. Also don't do what my FC did and forget ammo.

Also I need to break the AMC habit of not talking in mumble...
<<

Gigabyte Ghekon

Portrait

Post 2018.06.28 04:42

I learned a few things in incursions.

1.Narja tama Auga Romi
2. Turn on your hardeners
3. Pirate ships are somehow much faster then a rokh
4. Minimum skills are really minimum
5. Isk is great for incursions
6.primary is Sansha nation commander followed by fc