My first time on Grid

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Cryptic Sharvas

Portrait

Post 2017.06.27 15:23

My first time on Grid

Well last night was my first time on grid. I was flying a vindicator fit as per the university Wiki. Here is my experience.

getting on grid started off about 2 months ago, with an incursion happening near the campus I was hanging out in. I started off as a picket watching a gate and listening to comms. By the end of that incursion I had been fleet boss and had a really good feeling for picketing, I knew then that I wanted to get on grid. I also knew that the uni was constantly at war. Looking at the training queue that I had for my main, I quickly realized that the advice to create an incursion alt was the way I wanted to proceed.

Dude Sharvas was born. The name I now realize might become problematic. it fit the randomization look that was generated for me, but calling "Dude has aggro" or "Dude needs reps" might be a little confusing. I will endeavor to use last names as well. Anyways, Dude Sharvas' training queue was filled up and skill books purchased. I could only afford +4 implants at the time so that is what I put in his head.

I waited. In the mean time I participated more as a scout and a picket. I even got to call out a war target once.

eventually Dude had all the skills trained up and I got a Vindicator BPC and started baking it. I went around and collected the rest of the parts I needed for the fit and moved them to the incursion site in a separate ship. I did notice when buying the parts that I was missing one level of the skill needed to fly the Shield maintenance drones. I queued up that skill right away knowing that it would be done before I had everything in place.

Once i moved the Vindicator to site I fitted everything up and re-read the checklist for the 2nd time in the week leading up to incursions.

Last night I was really ready to start running And a fleet was formed up pretty quickly. "So who wants to FC this?" *crickets* Tristle stepped up to go through the check list with my and another newbro, he ran through it and I was all setup. We elected him to be the FC.

First site was a NMC I think. I remembered to align the gate, start locking targets and to throw out my drones and assign them. Success! I was now on Grid. I did notice that things would die faster then I could lock them. Also my web I would be trying to activate but everything was always too far away.

On to site 2. in this site drones in were called at the end of the site and I realized I had forgotten to put them out at the beginning. terrible noob mistake #1

We got into a grove and I did struggle to lock things up in order so that I was targeting the right thing. I did find that things just kept dieing faster then I could lock them up.

then it happened about an hour into running. my game crashed as we were in warp to the next site. I announced this over mumble and quickly worked on restoring the session. I got into game just after everyone else had taken the gate. I got the green light to come in and realized that rejoining the fleet meant I had to lock targets, rebuild my watchlist and shoot stuff and launch drones and assist them. this became intense and I think I need a better work flow for when I reconnect.

After that it was smooth sailing. I did find it was hard to keep track of what type of site we were in. So I like to chat on comms. I have found the way to shut me up. just get me on grid. I was too busy to talk.

on the last site I also forgot to send out the drones.

Things for me to work on:

1. get the order of things straight in my head
2. deploy drones every site
3. Figure out and train the skills to lock stuff faster
4. train the skills to warp faster (I always felt like I was behind the 8 ball when going to a site or into a site)
5. Memorize the order of things.
6. There is no six
7. Learn the secret vindicator order of things
8. Remember that the web only has a range of 18250 km as per the message that kept popping up.
9. Remember to look at range. why shoot it if you can't hit it
10. Calm down it's all going to be ok. the red boxes are just friendly hugs

I had a ton of fun and hats off to Tristle, thanks for being the impromptu FC
Image ImageImageImageImage
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2017.06.27 16:09

Re: My first time on Grid

Cryptic Sharvas wrote:Here is my experience.
Thanks for sharing "Dude"! It's helpful not only to you, but to old people reading and remembering what it was like as well as new people looking to take the plunge themselves.
Cryptic Sharvas wrote:1. get the order of things straight in my head
Depends if this was a general thing, or the reconnecting thing.

If it's about landing in a site, getting things done, then focus on the essentials ...

1) Lock up the primary and secondary calls of the fleet commander. Don't get into the habit of locking what you think the fleet commander will say, but what he's actually calling.
2) Wait for tags if there are any before you start shooting the primary targets.
3) Launch drones and assist them to the dronebunny/boosterbunny.
4) Keep pre-locking targets as soon as something dies, by continuously locking things and having things in the process of being locked, you'll solve that issue of things dying before you can lock them.

When you find your rhythm you can probably launch your drones and assist them while your locks are landing and the tags come up, so 3) becomes 2) and 2) becomes 3) ... but don't worry about that early on.

If it was about reconnecting, then focus again on the essentials ...

1) Get invited back into the fleet (sometimes this is automatic, sometimes you need to ask for a reinvite). Throw an 'x reinvite' in the incursions.e-uni channel and call for the invite on mumble.
2) Re-add everyone to your watch list.
3) Remind the logi to add you to your watch list if the fleet commander didn't remind everyone already.
4) Put the two logi on top of your watch list.
5) Ask for gate status and wait for permission to enter the site again.

If you happen to disconnect inside the site, you often warp right back into the site (but not all the time), which puts a bit more stress on getting the invite to the fleet, so logi can get your broadcasts. Focus on getting into the fleet first, then proceed down the list of things as you juggle shooting targets at the same time.
Cryptic Sharvas wrote:3. Figure out and train the skills to lock stuff faster
You have Signature Analysis V but the main thing is practising pre-locking, as that will have the biggest impact on your ability to have targets to shoot. You can also eventually upgrade your Sensor Booster II to a faction variant, for a little faster lock time, but even then it's mostly about the pre-locking. Just make sure you're running a Scan Resolution Script :)
Cryptic Sharvas wrote:4. train the skills to warp faster (I always felt like I was behind the 8 ball when going to a site or into a site)
I take it you mean aligning here, as there's no skill allowing you to warp faster. Pre-aligning as soon as you land is the biggest gain here, although there are skills like Spaceship Command V (+2% agility) and Evasive Maneuvering IV + V (+5% agility per level) that will help a little.
Cryptic Sharvas wrote:5. Memorize the order of things.
7. Learn the secret vindicator order of things
It's good to know what to expect, but again be careful not to ignore the actual calls of the fleet commander. They rely on you killing what they call, not what you think they'll call. When in doubt, just check with the fleet commander.
Cryptic Sharvas wrote:6. There is no six
Of course not Bruce.
Cryptic Sharvas wrote:I had a ton of fun and hats off to Tristle, thanks for being the impromptu FC
Glad to hear you had fun and thanks Tristle for stepping up getting the fleet running.
<<

Cryptic Sharvas

Portrait

Post 2017.06.27 16:38

ok what is pre-locking???

I get into a site and Start trying to lock things and get told "you can't do that you are still in warp" or something like that. then I finally get out of warp and it takes a while for the lock to happen.

I will check my skills to confirm I have the required ones. it always felt like the first 2 targets were dead before I could lock them.

has for warpping I would align the gate as soon as I could, coming out of warp seemed to take forever, and then I would activate the gate with "battleships take the gate" and I'd be the last one getting in. I did check through the evening and I was aligning in the right direction.
<<

Stasia Ohau

Portrait

Post 2017.06.27 17:38

Cryptic Sharvas wrote:ok what is pre-locking???

Start the lock on as many mobs as you can plus 1 or 2 extras in case the first few die. As things die, keep locking up new mobs. Don't worry if you feel like you've got fumble fingers now, it'll improve over time.

Cryptic Sharvas wrote:I get into a site and Start trying to lock things and get told "you can't do that you are still in warp" or something like that. then I finally get out of warp and it takes a while for the lock to happen.

Yep. I usually wait until the speed indicator starts showing m/s instead of "Warp" (and I remember to look).

Cryptic Sharvas wrote:I will check my skills to confirm I have the required ones. it always felt like the first 2 targets were dead before I could lock them.

I blame Grune and maybe Tristle for the Niarja's :D . I was busy tagging stuff and they'd be dead about 60% of the time before the lock would resolve.

Cryptic Sharvas wrote:has for warpping I would align the gate as soon as I could, coming out of warp seemed to take forever, and then I would activate the gate with "battleships take the gate" and I'd be the last one getting in. I did check through the evening and I was aligning in the right direction.

Vindicators are slow-ish. Machs are fast-ish. I have a High Grade Ascendency - Alpha so I have a little better warp speed. Monn beat me in a few times because he's got better skills and a full head (I think) of Ascendencies.
<<

Grune Jaeger

Portrait

Post 2017.06.27 18:02

Stasia Ohau wrote:I blame Grune and maybe Tristle for the Niarja's :D .

Wasn't Grune. (Well, maybe the Sleipnir alphad a Niarja once or twice.)
With no nightmares, it was actually taking a while to kill Niarjas and the booster was spending a lot of that time jammed.
Now, if i were flying my nightmare ...
<<

Cryptic Sharvas

Portrait

Post 2017.06.27 18:34

Grune Jaeger wrote:, it was actually taking a while to kill Niarjas

Were we in the same fleet?

The first Niarja was dead before my locks could resolve, every site. The second one would be dead before my locks resolved 50% of the time.

That is really fast.
<<

Matt Mustang

Portrait

Post 2017.06.28 02:25

Cryptic Sharvas wrote:The first Niarja was dead before my locks could resolve, every site. The second one would be dead before my locks resolved 50% of the time.

To be fair lock time in a T1 hull with a T2 target painter is crap. While it seems normal to you to the rest of the fleet it can be a real long time as they're usually onto other targets by their second/third salvo.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage

Return to Incursions