A reminder about our safeguards and standard practices.

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2017.06.07 12:58

A reminder about our safeguards and standard practices.

Over the years I've often pointed out why we have certain safeguards and standard practices that we follow. I've also always recommended that people post about their experiences on the forum when things go wrong, explaining what went wrong, what they learned from it. So that people can learn from their mistakes, because mistakes are usually not a problem in and by themselves, as long as we learn from them.

Today is no different in that regard, except that I have the displeasure of being the one who messed up myself (both as fleet commander and logi). I won't bother trying to explain too much why it happened, but rather focus on what happened, why we do the things we do to avoid it being a problem and what I learned, personally. Because I've always aspired to practice what I preach (the link ... because everything is better if you add some Barry White to it).

So what happened?
A fleet member dipped pretty low in shields despite broadcasting properly and was forced to call out on comms for reps. Luckily, both me and the other logi quickly and effectively locked him up and repairs caught before he took any serious damage.

Why did it happen?
Ultimately, I as a fleet commander didn't make the call to update the watch list very clearly. Both me and the other logi forgot to add the new member to our watch list right away. We also both missed locking from broadcasts at the time.

Safeguards that help prevent this and similar situations:

• The fleet boss (usually the waitlist manager) and fleet commander should always make it clear and use verbal confirmation when adding people to the fleet.
  • The fleet commander should always clearly call for everyone to update their watch list, preferably calling out the new player joining by name for clarity.
  • Logistics should always make sure they have everyone locked after the initial aggro settled, or whenever someone joins on grid. While the watch list helps for this, the best way is to look in a fleet members overview tab, as that will include all fleet members and not just those on your watch list.
  • Logistics should always lock from the broadcast history of the fleet window, not from the watch list, as broadcasts will catch those you've forgotten the add to your watch list as well.
  • Anyone joining the fleet late waits on the acceleration gate, asking for gate status and permission to come on grid before taking the gate, then upon landing immediately locks something up and calls "<your name> on grid!" on mumble.
  • Anyone taking enough damage that you drop below 50% shields should start overheating their hardeners and calling out on comms for reps, but make sure they have broadcasted first, as logi cannot lock from voice commands, and always refer to yourself in third person like "<your name> need reps!".

You can find these and many more safeguards on the Incursions checklist page.

So what did I learn?
Well, for one, I'm reminded that nobody is infallible. It doesn't matter how often you do things right, sometimes you'll mess up and make a mistake. It's purely a matter of statistics, do it long enough and you'll eventually make a mistake. I was also reminded how easy it is to forget to flip back from the "My fleet" tab to the "History" tab after having invited the new fleet member, which snowballed into the unlikely scenario of me not locking from broadcasts but instead winging it from the watch list.

None of this was news to me, I've preached and followed these safeguards for years knowing full well why they are there and how important they are. Yet that didn't stop me from having a brief moment when I didn't, and of course something happened in that extremely small window of opportunity, at the same time as the other logi made the same mistake. That's just life isn't it? If not downright Murphy's law.

But at the end of the day, that's why we have these safeguards and standards we follow, why we keep repeating them and remind ourselves of them. Not just for new people to learn how we do things, but for ourselves as well ... so that we're constantly reminded of them and thus lessens the chances of too many things going wrong at once :)

Humbly yours,
Cassiel
Last edited by Cassiel Seraphim on 2017.06.07 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Finished an unfinished sentence ... my bad.
<<

Medro

Portrait

Post 2017.08.03 21:32

Re: A reminder about our safeguards and standard practices.

Gods, you suck... smelly old fart.

;)
ImageImage

<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2017.08.03 22:43

If I recall, you're older than me Mr. Schmedro :)
<<

Rodger Kint

Portrait

Post 2017.08.04 02:08

rotfl - you wrote a wall of text about someone getting low on shields? I expected at least a fleet whelp. What next? A book about when someone clicked the little x in the corner of the overview and had to log off in space because they couldn't find a station?
KEEP CALM & DEFFO BLAP YO
The boy who cried Moros * Content Creator * Graduate * Awoxer - The Equalizer
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2017.08.04 04:45

Rodger Kint wrote:rotfl - you wrote a wall of text about someone getting low on shields? I expected at least a fleet whelp. What next? A book about when someone clicked the little x in the corner of the overview and had to log off in space because they couldn't find a station?
Taken out of context it might seem weird, but this wasn't written because of this particular incident, it was a general thing and about something that has been brewing and people needed the reminder. This was simply as good a time as any to bring up the subject of safeguards again because people were slacking.

We run very safe in our community, so it's very easy for people to forget why we have our safeguards and how easily things can go wrong if we ignore them or become too complacent. But by all means, feel free to take it out of context to make fun of something you clearly don't understand. The people who do run with us understands, and that's what's important.
<<

Neonen

Portrait

Post 2017.08.04 06:56

I have to agree with Rodger, reflecting on your own mistakes is a bad trait and shouldn't be done. Ignorance is bliss. :wink:
<<

Xana McBash

Portrait

Post 2017.08.04 17:06

If this was a big happening or not is besides the point.

Never skip a chance to get yer noggin to work, and this is good fuel for meaningful discussion.

Taking the time to reply with just "hurrdurr there's nothing here" might be as useless as you claimed the original post to be.

Either you successfully trolled, or you thought so little about this thread and your reply that the small irony was lost on you.
<<

Telinchei

Portrait

Post 2017.08.13 04:45

Does our recent Slack comments on emergency procedure bear mentioning/adding to this forum- thread?
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2017.08.13 14:45

Not at this time, as I already explained when you asked that the other day on Slack.

Return to Incursions