My Picket Experience - 3 days in

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

1Cryptic Sharvas

Portrait

Post 2017.04.21 03:43

My Picket Experience - 3 days in

So I'm going to be honest, as a fairly new player I have zero experience with incursions. I will also admit that when they say 500K for a picket I thought it would under perform mining in terms of isk/hour. but I was told the requirements were to sit on a gate and watch for war targets/Ganking fleets and to be cloaked.

so here's the math as I had it in my head: 500k x Fleet members = total pay out. Of course I was wrong I didn't account for it being 500k/site.

now Isk isn't everything. I can make 10M Isk/hour mining but if I'm doing that alone then it super boring. I can get things exciting by jumping into wormholes but I have a perfect record of getting my ship blown up in wormholes.

So that was my preconceived notions. my first time picketing (3 days ago) I did it while I spent time reading and letting my character train and learning about other things in the game.

First of all, for a new player the isk is AMAZING!

Secondly the conversation and listening to the mumble chat is great. This is a very good way to pass the time.

Thirdly, The regular incursion runners were willing and able to teach me. I learned how to camp on the gate, and how to move up the ladder to scout once I have the ship and I would like to move up to this role

I learned how to do fleet boss work and try to maintain a wait list while watching a gate and listening to chat.

but most importantly, I had a ton of fun doing this.

I'm impressed by the 2 FCs that I have worked with both K950 (who is responsible for me trying this out) and Logan Zauber (Day 3 FC) I understand this is PvE but I didn't think they could be so efficiently run. I'll be honest I still don't fully understand exactly what is happening based on the Mumble comms but I am slowly learning.

I'm humbled by the donations of isk I have received. The work has been easy, but I realize the importance of watching the gate. I hope I can get better at the fleet boss roll to make a larger contribution

So top ten things to do while working as a picket:

1. WATCH the GATE
2. WATCH Local
3. listen to mumble
4. play with skill plans in evemon (on a second screen)
5. Rotate your camera then Panic when the gate isn't on screen
6. There is no 6 (I'm still trying to figure this out)
7. buy skill books ont he market for all your Alts, spend the isk, you deserve it
8. take up fleet boss and create awesome cool people lists
9. try to google FC words like Toma and Auga, Shmels???
10. play with Pyfa and enter in all the fits people X up with.

So some advice for a future picket player:

turn blink off on the unimportant channels you are watching.
Local is a separate window
and most important ask questions and get involved you create your own content

I had a blast
<<

Jason Eoner

Portrait

Assistant Teaching Manager
Assistant Teaching Manager

Post 2017.04.21 11:27

Re: My Picket Experience - 3 days in

Reading about your experience totally brightened my day.

Incursion sites require some of the bigger ships with a fair bit of skills. But as you point out, even a brand new player can get connected with our Incursion Community as a picket! As Cryptic did, dive in and start learning!

I've seen incursion folks get into the other campus Mumble and chat channels to recruit for pickets and that's great. If you see that and you're wondering if you should try it... the answer is yes. Let's bump this post and spread the word!
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2017.04.23 16:25

I can only echo Jason's sentiment here, to read these kind of first impressions really warms the cockles of my heart.
<<

Cryptic Sharvas

Portrait

Post 2017.04.25 13:21

I will be back. it is a ton of fun.
Image ImageImageImageImage
<<

Ceilidh Brinalle

Portrait

Post 2017.04.28 22:08

You warmed Cass's cockles? That's worth a freshman title right there, isn't it?
Image Image Image ImageImage
<<

Cryptic Sharvas

Portrait

Post 2017.04.29 03:25

I made it to Freshman. not sure if thats the reason why or not.
Image ImageImageImageImage
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2017.04.29 03:39

The fact that you made a post and shared your experience probably did help you. That it warmed the cockles of my heart didn't really factor in, it's just a coincidence that I like the same things they look at for activity :)
<<

Ceilidh Brinalle

Portrait

Post 2017.04.29 17:00

And here I was being fresh...and you all take it literally!

But in all seriousness, picketing is SUCH an important job. It cant be over stated, and fleets stop because we dont have them. So thank you. From my cockles. What ever those are.
Image Image Image ImageImage

Return to Incursions