Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Margeux en Chasteaux

Portrait

Post 2017.03.22 16:14

Need some guidance

Hoping to x-up as a DD someday :lol:

My training queue is a complete mess so I think I need to clean it out and rebuild it. My long term goal is to fly a Machariel. So far I've completed the baseline Magic 14 and BLAP (All of Mauve, about half of Olive) and will work on the minimum and recommended DD skills listed on the Preparing for Incursions page.

My current skilling plan is to get the minimums knocked out before moving onto the recommended. Is there anything in recommended that should be prioritized earlier?

Does the Machariel fight more like a Minmatar ship or a Gallente one? Just staring at the stats and bonuses suggest the former. Was thinking of doing this sort of progression: Rifter -> Thrasher -> Rupture -> Hurricane -> Maelstrom -> Machariel. What sort of content would you guys suggest I practice on?

I still need to acquire the training implants and haven't remapped yet. Any suggestions on the remap?

Thanks
<<

Troven Smalvard

Portrait

Post 2017.03.22 17:15

Re: Need some guidance

Don't forget you can get help with learning implants if your still a little short on isk

http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/The_%2B3_Implants_Program

ImageImageImage
<<

Sin Tsukaya

Portrait

Post 2017.03.22 17:51

Margeux en Chasteaux wrote:Does the Machariel fight more like a Minmatar ship or a Gallente one? Just staring at the stats and bonuses suggest the former. Was thinking of doing this sort of progression: Rifter -> Thrasher -> Rupture -> Hurricane -> Maelstrom -> Machariel. What sort of content would you guys suggest I practice on?

The Machariel's distinguishing features are being fast, and using projectile weapons, which are both characteristically Minmatar.

*But*, in a vanguard incursion context, it is going to warp onto grid, sit still, and act like it's at a shooting range, just like all the other DD ships, so there's not much in it.

If you want a vaguely comparable experience with something that resembles progression, you could do worse than to work your way up the various classes of security mission, in suitable ships set up for longish range projectile engagement. Thrasher > Rupture > Hurricane > Machariel would be my suggestion (but I'm in a position where the extra 100m hull cost for a Mach isn't a major deal, so I'd rather just use it straight away than progress to it).
<<

Margeux en Chasteaux

Portrait

Post 2017.03.22 18:56

Troven Smalvard wrote:Don't forget you can get help with learning implants if your still a little short on isk

25M is still a fairly daunting amount to me, something I hope to rectify (I sense more picketing in my future :lol:). I did pull the trigger so that should be taken care of.

Sin Tsukaya wrote:Thrasher > Rupture > Hurricane > Machariel would be my suggestion (but I'm in a position where the extra 100m hull cost for a Mach isn't a major deal, so I'd rather just use it straight away than progress to it).

Fair point. My thinking on the Mael was to use that while I make some good headway on the Recommended list and to get used to battleship class hulls. Guess I'll see how it goes and adjust as needed.
<<

Birdinator Wyld

Portrait

Post 2017.03.23 02:14

While I do agree with everything Sin posted, a Maelstrom may be more ideal to get into instead of time spent in a hurricane. You can rather quickly fit a basic incursion Maelstrom also and that would give you an idea if it is something you want to continue to pursue. The battleship skills will help with your eventual Mach transfer as well as give you a decent missioning Battleship in the meantime, although the Machariel is the big daddy for that as well :P.
Good luck with it !
<<

Neonen Enderas (Biomassed 2017.06.23)

Portrait

Post 2017.03.23 11:12

If you have trouble getting 25m ISK liquid, you might want to skip the Hurricane(nice ship, no doubt) and save for the Mael. Yes it might be 1 more week in a cruiser but the Mael allows you to run VGs. Which means roughly 1 Hurricane/fleet. ;)

Which of course means you have to get a fleet. Depening on TZ this might be easier/harder.
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Did someone say "Stealthbomber"? Explosions? And ECM? I'm in! Let's blow shit up! ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

<<

Margeux en Chasteaux

Portrait

Post 2017.03.23 16:28

Neonen Enderas wrote:If you have trouble getting 25m ISK liquid, you might want to skip the Hurricane(nice ship, no doubt) and save for the Mael. Yes it might be 1 more week in a cruiser but the Mael allows you to run VGs. Which means roughly 1 Hurricane/fleet. ;)

I'm 3-4+ weeks away from filling out the minimums, I'm not terribly worried about finances at this point especially if there are available picket slots :D. Worse comes to worst there's always the PLEX route (but that feels dirty) :coffee:

edit: Wow I really do need that coffee. Somehow I read both you and Bird recommending jumping straight to the Mach :shock: Skipping the Hurricane is certainly an option.

Neonen Enderas wrote:Which of course means you have to get a fleet. Depening on TZ this might be easier/harder.

US/Eastern which is currently UTC-4. So far the post downtime Saturday and Sunday fleets seem to be the most consistent. Saturday is when I (try to) pay off some of my sleep debt so I'd be tripping in around 1300-1400 UTC depending on DST.

The weekday fleets I've seen were starting to assemble at 0200 UTC which is 10pm my time. At best I'd get an hour before I'd need to head for bed.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice :salute: :thumbright:
<<

Margeux en Chasteaux

Portrait

Post 2017.03.27 14:09

Margeux en Chasteaux wrote:
Troven Smalvard wrote:Don't forget you can get help with learning implants if your still a little short on isk

25M is still a fairly daunting amount to me, something I hope to rectify (I sense more picketing in my future :lol:). I did pull the trigger so that should be taken care of.

Hands down the best 25M I've spent. If you're waffling on these, don't. Just buy them and stick a jump clone in 101.

It's shaved a good 10days off the 60day train I've got queued (You can only queue 50 skills at a time, who knew? :ccp: ). I think my hauler/valet alt's gonna get a set, just need to find a friendly citadel for the easy swaps. They'll probably be able to pilot a Mach hull before Margeaux :lol:
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2017.03.27 14:12

Margeux en Chasteaux wrote:(You can only queue 50 skills at a time, who knew? :ccp: )
Skill-levels even. 1 skill trained from 1-5 takes up 5 slots out of the maximum of 50 slots on your skillqueue.
<<

Margeux en Chasteaux

Portrait

Post 2017.03.27 14:42

Cassiel Seraphim wrote:Skill-levels even. 1 skill trained from 1-5 takes up 5 slots out of the maximum of 50 slots on your skillqueue.

Indeed, getting skills to the T2 levels are the bulk of my queue and consequently why the valet will be able to pilot the hull (but that's about it) before this one. Come to think of it I should probably make sure the valet's queue has sufficient tank skills cooking.
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2017.03.27 14:46

Just remember that the valet alt can trim away most skills and just train the bare minimum for a quick hull-tank. You don't need the shield stuff, you can just let those modules go offline as long as you fill the lows with bulkheads.

Return to Incursions