<<

Ian Tucenghi

Portrait

Student Advocate
Student Advocate

Post 2017.03.14 14:54

Thoughts on my very first experience as FC o7

Hi Unistas,

I hope you are all well and doing great in both EVE and RL.

It took me awhile to make this post because I still could not believe that I just did my first FC, especially that I did not plan of being one. It happened because the Scout thought that I was the FC being that I organized the fleet. :shock:

Thereafter, the fleet members then encouraged me to take the role which I was hesitant at first being that I was with Cass, Logan, Leevi, Grune and all the old guards in Incursions (my apologies if I can't remember all your names because I was so tense during said time, that I can only remember the tiny purple ships, the status of the watchlist (wherein I hope that nobody gets blown apart or lose a ship), the fleet tab, and fleet chat).

Nevertheless, I still remember my shortcomings and they are as follows:-

1. I lack the confidence as the FC. As such, it shows my hesitation to speak up and give the command. However, I tried to remedy the same as I continued to run the sites, still the hesitation remained which I think can only be remedied by doing another round of FC in future fleets (my apologies if I sound arrogant).

2. I lack the intimate knowledge of the nuances of running an Incursions site especially the essence of why certain ships are targeted and the dynamics of the various ships in the fleet. In this regard, I attributed said shortcoming by being too focus on my role as DD. In essence, I was so caught up in skills to train and implants to buy in order to be a better DD that I essentially did not take the time to learn deeply Incursions.

In this regard, I promise to read deeply on the matter and hopefully in the future, I am able to share such knowledge on the fleet that I am in.

3. I was unfamiliar with the game mechanics of running the fleet (i.e. wrapping the fleet to the next site, indicators of which wave we are in by looking at wrecks, giving the proper order on checks like "broadcasting for shield", and so forth).

The reason for the above is because it was essentially my first time and all of sudden I just realized that as an FC I have all these new buttons and functionality that I ended up feeling swamped. Even so, I still felt happy and accomplished because I now understood that as an FC what is crucial is for me to see the entire "Theater of War", and not the skin of my ship. :)

Further to the above, I am pretty sure that I made a lot of mistakes than what I stated above. Hence, I look forward to reading them in the comments below from my fellow fleet mates. I welcome such criticisms being that it is the only way for me to improve as an FC. Thank you in advance. :)

P.S.

I FC for 12 sites and my fleet mates told me that we won a contest and was able to drive out a competing Incursions fleet which I honestly do not know how we did it. :)

Thank you. Fly Safe to you all and I hope to be an FC again (if you let me). o7
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2017.03.14 17:31

Re: Thoughts on my very first experience as FC o7

First off ... thank you for stepping up Ian, and thank you for making this post. Hopefully it was helpful to you as you wrote it as well as helpful to others who might be considering stepping up for the first time as well.

Second ... remember that fleet commanders aren't born, but forged as they develop their style. We all start from somewhere and then we learn and become better, so don't dismay that you don't have it all sorted out from the get go, nobody does, that's why we offer to backseat all the time. And this was a perfect time to do it, with so many of us veterans behind you.

Moving forward, the key to success (in my humble opinion), is to keep trying and while doing so, delegate as much as you can and learn something new each time. Start with the basics, get those down to a science before you start experimenting with new tactics and fleet compositions.

Keep asking questions, contemplate why you do this or why you do that. That way you'll grow exponentially and feel more and more secure in what you're doing. Just remember to have respect for the role and listen to feedback.
<<

Ian Tucenghi

Portrait

Student Advocate
Student Advocate

Post 2017.03.15 01:20

Cassiel Seraphim wrote:First off ... thank you for stepping up Ian, and thank you for making this post. Hopefully it was helpful to you as you wrote it as well as helpful to others who might be considering stepping up for the first time as well.

Second ... remember that fleet commanders aren't born, but forged as they develop their style. We all start from somewhere and then we learn and become better, so don't dismay that you don't have it all sorted out from the get go, nobody does, that's why we offer to backseat all the time. And this was a perfect time to do it, with so many of us veterans behind you.

Moving forward, the key to success (in my humble opinion), is to keep trying and while doing so, delegate as much as you can and learn something new each time. Start with the basics, get those down to a science before you start experimenting with new tactics and fleet compositions.

Keep asking questions, contemplate why you do this or why you do that. That way you'll grow exponentially and feel more and more secure in what you're doing. Just remember to have respect for the role and listen to feedback.

Thank you, Cass and I totally agree with all your statements stated above especially that being an FC is a trust handed to the FC from its fleet mates. Hence, without that trust from the fleet mates the FC will never be able to function. Hence, the virtues of respect, humility and patience are essential virtues to succeed as a FC. :)

Further, thank you for the help you have given when I FC, much appreciated. I actually learned a lot during said run especially the dynamics and nuances of an incursions site by just listening when you talked in Mumble. :)

Fly Safe o/
<<

Mick Ormack

Portrait

Post 2017.03.23 00:48

You were great Ian! Thank you for taking and charge and making it happen for all of us.
<<

Ian Tucenghi

Portrait

Student Advocate
Student Advocate

Post 2017.03.27 01:50

Mick Ormack wrote:You were great Ian! Thank you for taking and charge and making it happen for all of us.

Thank you, much appreciated, Mick. :)

And thank you as well for the patience. I am pretty sure that I did various errors and annoying stuff along the way. :D Thanks.

Return to Incursions