This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2017.01.10 18:06

Request for assistance: Intro to Incursions class

I need some help setting up a good base for an introduction class for our community and/or incursions in general. Need to iron out whether two separate classes is ideal or simply extending the incursions class with a section after the initial class about the specifics of our community ... among other things.

I'm looking for people willing to help develop this with me and in the long run, I'm of course also looking for people willing to step up and run these classes on a semi-regular basis (aiming for every other month or so at least).

So what do we need? We need a good, up to date syllabus on the wiki and a good slide to use for teaching.

Old syllabus: Introduction to Incursions + Incursions 101
Old slides: http://slides.eveuniversity.org/?slidesID=150 (which is now outdated)

I will personally try to help out as much as I can, but my time is somewhat limited, so if you want to help with this it would mean you work a little on your own, discuss it with me, then work a bit more on your own etc.

Post here if you're willing to help, so we can get a good setup for future classes.
<<

Logan Zauber

Portrait

Post 2017.01.18 23:16

Re: Request for assistance: Intro to Incursions class

Intro to Incursions? I can help.

One vs. Two Classes? I am of the mind "Two vs. Three" classes. I reckon as I am still wet behind the ears, I remember all the things that were/still are confusing.

Class 1: "History, Lore, overview". All the crazy types of sites one might run, general fitting principles across the board.

Class 2: "Vanguard Sites: Offgrid Positions- Showing Up Prepared is More Fun". How to get your first job, how do coms work, be a: picket, WL Manager, how to spot a mistaken fit, MOTD and what it is; Scout, Scout fittings, Hacking, Scout Pro Tips.

Class 3: "Vanguard Sites: Ongrid Positions- Showing Up Prepared is More Fun". Explains the Incursions Checklist, setting up Overview, setting up Watch List, What ship to bring, fitting principles, Valet Alt, how much ammunition, where do you get layavite, PROPER ETIQUETTE WHEN FORMING UP and proper etiquette in fleet.

I feel that sometimes the Uni can sometimes befuddle the Newbro through information overload.
Example:
Q: "I am an Omega Clone. I want to Picket. What ship should I bring?"

Logan: "Bring a Uni Doctrine Heron or a shuttle. (provide link to fit.) It's an easy train.. be ready tomorrow."

Uni: "Well, you can fly just about anything." "Just not a Rail Tengu." "Hey! I love my Rengu!" "No, bring something with lots of data modules." "Or.. bring a Venture, just don't get blown up at a gate." "Well, you can do it in an Endurance because stealth and then you can run ore, too" "Yeah.. let's talk about fittings for an Endurance.." And there are 28 pages of all the ships the poor Newbro has to try to read...

The answer is "Train for a Heron, if you can use a Prototype Cloak you will have more fun. Train Hacking to 3 maybe." Later we can teach why a Heron, fitting principles, how to not get blowed up real good, and all those details.

So.. as a Constructivist I believe that learning can not occur without relevant experiences to connect new information to. Start simple, get your hands dirty, learn more, do more, learn more. Repeat.
<<

Anducio Grandoli

Portrait

Post 2017.01.19 05:13

When I ran this class (as Intro to Incursions) at the end of 2017, I took an amalgamation of the two syllabuses and created a browser worth of tabs that would be linked and talked about briefly. Most of the pages I linked to the class weren't gone into in any depth but served as where to learn more before showing up and getting your hands dirty.

(If you remind me, I think I even have the recording of that somewhere...)
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2017.01.19 05:55

Anducio Grandoli wrote:When I ran this class (as Intro to Incursions) at the end of 2017 ...
Can confirm, Anducio is from the future.
<<

Anducio Grandoli

Portrait

Post 2017.01.19 23:51

Cassiel Seraphim wrote:
Anducio Grandoli wrote:When I ran this class (as Intro to Incursions) at the end of 2017 ...
Can confirm, Anducio is from the future.

Only a timelord would know that.
<<

Nesomir Renalard

Portrait

Post 2017.01.22 04:04

When I have run this class, I basically did what Anducio said and used the slides to give the students something to look at while I was talking and sharing links in chat. I can help a bit with putting something together as my time allows as well.

I never got into specific mechanics of each site or too in depth on fitting. I saved both topics for Q&A.

My opinion on the syllabi (take it or leave it) it should be more like the Intro to incursions page than the incursions 101 one. The bullet list is much more conducive of reminding yourself where you are and what the next point to cover is.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

ImageImageImage
<<

Ian Tucenghi

Portrait

Student Advocate
Student Advocate

Post 2017.02.04 06:50

I am willing to help on this one. Just let me know what I should do.

Thanks and fly safe o/
<<

Delphirus Ganondahl

Portrait

Post 2017.02.19 18:56

Being relatively new to the incursion group myself, I'd be more than willing to help out. I've also played a lot of other MMOs and games over the years so might be able to offer insights in comparing how incursions work in comparison to other games. Also, I sort of feel like Logan is on the right track. I'd maybe have the lore and story behind it as an optional add-on either before or after the main class, as there isn't really a -whole- lot to the story. The lore class could touch briefly on the different sites and explain the naming convention and what they mean (what an OTA is and how it relates to the zonewide effects, etc), but save the specifics about how the site actually works in terms of shooting space zombies for the main class. I'd be more than happy to help out with the lore part, as I find myself being more and more interested in the story of games (I don't claim to know it all, but I was a pretty big WOW lore nut for a while before they fired all their good writers, apparently.), and would love to be able to contribute somehow.

I'd also be willing to help any other way I can, even if its just sitting in the chat while the teacher is talking and fielding some of the smaller questions. Just let me know!
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2017.02.20 08:20

On the lore part ... perhaps start by writing something for the wiki, then see about running a test class for it? Not to shoot down the idea, but my initial thought was that it might be great for a wiki-page, but not sure it's worth teaching in a class.
<<

Paxte Eriker

Portrait

Post 2017.02.20 14:37

I'd agree with a class not necessarily being the best place for a detailed look at the lore behind incursions. My thoughts on how to structure a class (or classes) is that there is actually quite a small amount of stuff that truly is specific to how we run uni incurions and not necessary to know elsewhere. This amount of stuff doesn't really add up to enough time to justify a separate class, so an addition to the end of another class is probably the best place for it.

Having looked over both the existing syllabi they have a significant amount of overlap, and the incursions 101 syllabus especially is incredibly wordy.. Instead of creating a massive post with all my suggestions I've created my own starting point for a useful syllabus for a single introduction class and would appreciate comments on it.

http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/User:Paxt ... s_Syllabus
<<

Telinchei

Portrait

Post 2017.07.22 19:17

I can draft a syllabus up if and when required. Just need to coordinate with DoEduc for the paperwork.

Return to Incursions