[AAR-ISH] First time FC, finally took the plunge

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Francesca Nardieu

Portrait

Post 2016.12.07 05:33

[AAR-ISH] First time FC, finally took the plunge

Ran 18 sites tonight at the new focus with a full fleet.

Comp was good, no nightmares but still ran very well. Everyone performed excellently and our newbro picket: Christine Ambramotte, was great!

Thanks to everyone involved for making my first FC fleet a success.

It was definitely a lot to keep track of but I learned a lot from running with the community for the past few months so I used my prior learning to the best of my ability.

Points to improve:
  • There was one site we warped to that was already being run by another fleet. I waited too long on the gate and did not ninja-warp the fleet to the next site. Nesomir pointed this out and explained that it's good to ninja-warp to prevent anyone from accidentally taking the gate (whether it's already being run or we just decide to not run it for whatever reason) and to prevent wasting time on the gate.
  • We conducted a couple of CB (Command Burst) tests with regards to application while coming out of warp. With advice and direction from Nesomir and Grune, we deduced that the warp deceleration was likely the cause of CB not applying if the OGB were to run them as soon as we drop out of warp. Since some ships decel faster than others, the math behind the distance between ships may put ships out of range even though it doesn't show it on our screen. In the interest of running a safe fleet, our current practice of:
    • Logi - L
    • BS - Align
    • OGB - CB
    • BS - Activate gate
    Will be sufficient. Nesomir played with the idea of whether it was necessary for logi to lock the OGB before CB but ultimately it was not required to ensure CB application.
  • There was a lot of chatter and discussion during the fleet because everything was running very smoothly. As a result, I didn't always call targets because I didn't want to interrupt whatever conversation was going on at the time. I think this was acceptable for this fleet because everyone on grid was relatively experienced and we had no unforeseen hiccups. However, I acknowledge that this could cause issues in a less than optimal fleet.

There may be more points I have missed here. Anyone that I ran with, please give me your input!!
Logibros/Bestbros

<<

Grune Jaeger

Portrait

Post 2016.12.07 15:59

Re: [AAR-ISH] First time FC, finally took the plunge

First of all, good job Francesca. You handled FC very well.

Francesca Nardieu wrote:...Comp was good, no nightmares...
OK, so that's the one failure as FC. Blasphemy. It can't be "good" with no sexy sexy Nightmares. Barely acceptable maybe. :wink:

Francesca Nardieu wrote:...Anyone that I ran with, please give me your input!!
Grune was running the primary booster. (We ran with an aux booster for the first part for info and shield extension.) I was turning off the boosts when 1-3 battleships were left in the old site. The approach I settled on was to boost as soon as all of the following occured:
  • I read 2 L's in fleet chat.
  • I heard the FC give the order for battleships to align.
  • I saw the last battleship that landed on grid starting to turn after landing. (Or, 3 seconds after the FC align order if i was being lazy.)
That seemed to work well. Then, I watched the status message telling me how many fleet members were affected by the boosts and reported on mumble whether we had full coverage or not. FC could then decide whether to take the gate or wait.

Other notes,
  • We had a lemming on one gate. I saw the battleship enter warp (start to move fast), hit the boosts immediately, and took the gate. The boosts still caught everyone including the lemming - and my Sleipnir got into the site and took initial agro anyway.
  • We were trying to interrupt the boost cycle when someone wanted to join the site late, and only boost when they reported they were on grid and locking. But, that is hard to coordinate. It resulted in one new battleship landing on grid just as a wave spawned. That's probably worse than the new battleship missing boosts. My inclination is to just let the FC give the 'green' status when it allows the new battleship to come in during a wave instead of just as one is spawning.
<<

Francesca Nardieu

Portrait

Post 2016.12.07 16:18

The lemming situation worked out though there was no serious danger anyway. As we've noted, an experienced fleet tends to hide a lot of minor problems. But it was certainly credit to Grune for getting that CB out quick and boosting the lemming.

The gate status thing was definitely a point to improve for me. I'm still trying to understand the acceptable timings for gate red/green. CBs add extra complexity so that will be a learning experience going forward.
Logibros/Bestbros

<<

Tekaida

Portrait

Post 2016.12.09 05:21

Great job FCing Francesca!

This was my 1st run using 2 webs and a Pith B AIF in my vindi. It worked really well. Next goal is Pith B AIF, 2 webs, and a Targetting computer.
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2016.12.09 06:39

Francesca Nardieu wrote:The lemming situation worked out though there was no serious danger anyway. As we've noted, an experienced fleet tends to hide a lot of minor problems. But it was certainly credit to Grune for getting that CB out quick and boosting the lemming.
The most important thing to remember when someone lemmings, is to make sure you have your own logistics ready to go. Your instinct will be to rush in after them, but you need to supersede that with making sure you have your logi with you first. Otherwise you'll just feed the Sansha more ships.

Francesca Nardieu wrote:The gate status thing was definitely a point to improve for me. I'm still trying to understand the acceptable timings for gate red/green. CBs add extra complexity so that will be a learning experience going forward.
You check with the booster that they've finished cycling and turned off their boosters, so they can boost when the new member comes ongrid. This will be in addition to the whole "new wave" thing, where we try to avoid someone coming in at the very end of a wave, so they don't immediately risk getting aggro.

Return to Incursions