<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2017.10.29 17:59

Re: What I Learned Today in Incursions

Rusty Kale :)

You should play more, that's the obvious solution. Nice to see you out and about though.
<<

Logan Zauber

Portrait

Post 2017.11.10 15:46

From Valet Alt/Orca Pilot to Booster Bunny in just Six Months or Simone Flies the Sleipnir

Back in the day, our OGB (OFF-grid booster) would put a boost ship somewhere in some safe spot way out in space, set the ship adrift with the boost thingy set to "on" then go to bed or commence to multiboxing. On-grid pilots tipped the booster and the booster woke up to piles of isk. We'd pick some new Rokh pilot and tell them they were the "drone bunny" ( which was a nice way of saying "now you can apply some damage before everyone else erases your target" ) and have 8 battleships thumping away making Sansha rue the day they ever exited their sorry wormhole.

Then things changed.

Now the OGB is an ON-grid booster and has to actually be awake. They have to do things: Push buttons to turn things on, push buttons to turn things off, apply tactical knowledge such as "remember to align" and sometimes say "Get your drones out!" or "If you didn't get boosts, take it easy coming in."

Perhaps the most difficult thing I need to learn as OGB is to not laugh in to an open mic when someone says "Wow, T2 guns is a long train!"
The train for OGB for Simone was over 180 days or about six months for an Orca/Valet pilot who already had T2 VindiBlasters.

How'd I stay sane? Well, Logan just carried on as normal while all that Incursion money went in to Multiple Character Training Licenses. Simone cooked skills in the background. It's possible to train all your toons in one account simultaneously- just buy the licenses. MCT licenses are about 1.2 Billion isk per month. Then you get a 300 million isk Republic Fleet Command Mindlink, build a billion isk Sleipnir and .. voila. Minimum Skills Booster. Minimum Skills.

How was it? Fun and Easy.
FUN? Well, it was gratifying to boost so the kind pilots who regularly boost could fill a different role for a change. It was fun learning the new role and much less stressful than learning Logistics. It's fluid- you have a pop-gun, a painter, a web, and a swarm of bees to fight with. Sometimes you feel like you apply some damage- it's fun to pop a Niarja if you can beat a Nightmare on the quickdraw.

Easy? Well, let's say you know what the FC is going to say 30 seconds before it's said, then it's easy. Anyone that can FC does indeed know these things.

Frustrating? Sometimes. Simone needs to train her drone control range up from minimum which is something like 32 km- plenty long for an Orca pilot, not so much for an Incursionista. She needs to train her gunnery skills up and Command Ship skill too. And those battleship skills need to get "foured" because well, why not have your hauler/booster alt be halfway good at DD too? Yeah, the Booster spends a lot of time looking as stuff they could be shooting but can't because it would confuse the droneball.

Anyways, that's my bling.. my purple officer modules and hotshot implants rolled in to one- yay! I can boost!

So let's fly some more incursions because, uh- I want hotshot implants and purple officer modules.
<<

Atomsk Agittain

Portrait

Post 2017.11.30 02:38

From Picket to FC,

About two months ago Siyoel hops on to the AMC chat and says hey incursions needs pickets. Well I had never done that before, and since nothing was going on at the AMC I made the 17 jumps to focus location and started picketing. Ten minutes later they went hey lets teach you how to manage the wait list. Four hours later, and a bunch of isk later, I decided that it would be fun to be on grid. Two weeks, two large skill injectors, and a donation later I was able to pilot a Hyperion and join in the on grid shenanigans. More donations and another week of training and I start flying a pirate hull. Its fun its exciting and I've learned a lot about my battleship made lots of money and enjoyed a fantastic community.

On Monday Logan mentions that Tuesdays is training Tuesday and I wanted to give my hand at FC'ing anyway so I decided why not. Tuesday rolls around and we dont have a focus, so it is moving day. Luckily we had enough people and I got to FC, I enjoyed it, and for the most part it was a blast. As with any time you are trying to learn something for the first time something has to go wrong, so we get to the first site and not even through the first wave my client crashes. After that things go smoothly, apart from stumbling over names.

So on to the part where I actually say what I learned. First FC'ing is a bit on the difficult side, as DD you know the call orders, what you can shoot, and the changes for each sites. But once you step up to FC it goes from being automatic muscle memory to actually having to talk, and I blanked quite a few times. Second, I have to be more commanding, I was hesitant at calling where we were going next and my call orders. Part of this was due to being inexperienced and not wanting to make a wrong call and part due to the fact that everyone in fleet has more experience than me and who am I to be telling them how I want things done. Well I am the FC, that's who, and I should remember that.

So I would like to thank everyone for last evenings fleet, and bearing with me while I ran my first ever fleet. I would also like to thank the our incursions community as whole, for being so open and helpful to me when I was just starting out with you guys. I look forward to many more fleets with you guys.
<<

Ingenia Magnus

Portrait

Post 2018.01.12 01:40

Today, I had the pleasure of flying my first incursion fleet as a Logistics pilot, under the esteemed Logan Zauber. I enjoyed myself immensely, and now have deep respect for people able to fly logistics reliably. There turns out to be a lot to keep track of.

Things learned:
  • Align to the right broadcast. Missing boosts is no fun for anyone
  • Pay utmost attention on gates. It seems I got complacent in my time DDing, and got declared disconnected at least once due to zoning out on the gate waiting for the green gate call. Turns out logistics need to L up.
  • There's less room for error in Incursion than PVP logistics. In my PVP experience so far, I've either been solo, in which case I can basically pick a target and get healing but ultimately know that my patient is gonna be a corpse, or as part of a massive wing, in which case we listen to the FC and our target either dies before a single rep lands (not my fault) or lives forever (also not really my fault). In incursions, two logi means that if you are not on the ball, things will get scary, and it's very visible. Nothing went wrong, but there were a couple of scary moments to learn from.
  • Logistics is fun.

I look forward to taking my Scimitar out again in future!
<<

Victor Kaj

Portrait

Post 2018.01.15 22:54

Not exactly today (2 nights ago tho is close right? - Jan 13th) It has been about three months now of grinding vanguard type incursion sites with the E-Uni's incursion runners and just very lately I have been really trying to look into as well as get my feet wet when it comes to taking on the Vanguard's bigger brother the HQ sites. After realizing that I would most likely have to (1. Relieve myself of the Uni tags in order to run with just about any community that regularly runs them [Not interested in leaving anytime soon] 2. Create an alt omega/HQ runner alt in order to not have to take on #1 [which I have yet to even fully explore as far as probably should be in order to advance my main) 3. Spend that crazy amount of isk everyone is talking about in the previous replies giving them the special shiny incursion powahhhhhh, YET AGAIN. *I've gotten as far as reading what it would take to join one and then talking to a few of some community regulars who run them. Totally kittied out. Way to comfortable right now not having to use any kind of propulsion modules/rigs

Yea so now you have a little back story lemme get back to the what I've learned... right so Jan 13th, keep in mind we had been running pretty regularly for the previous 2-3 days before this and so it seemed pretty normal to hop on grab a spot in the fleet. But this time was very different from the rest. And Although after deciding that, the guy who has come close to almost causing an entire VG fleet to be reduced to Sansha dust (when his over dramatic/highly vocal reaction to a not so planned fleet op ensued.) (I'll add that I had attended a couple logi-log off drills but when one suddenly becomes RL right in front of your eyes..... it WAS the first bad thing to happen to me during one and The exact situation that day was a lot more complicated then I have time to or even want to explain. ) But after that day I had perma-named any incursion ship I would run from that day forward - "SHUT UP!") should FC for the fleet my first thought was okay I'll take it on. But only because it's been about 45 already and everyone would like to get started.

Immediately I realized that I may end up regretting taking on the task when suddenly memories of the past started to flood my now paranoid thought process. So, at this point I didn't want to look like I was incapable but again... typical me in me form right after saying yes was breaking his neck looking left and right looking for any replacement takers. I couldn't see losing even one battleship, even if it were mine, so of course I did ask. But (Here's the part that actually follows the thread... sorry about my longwindedness) After confirming that I would have a somewhat like a shadowed trial more then a.. FULL on, take on every responsibility that normal FC's do, I soon realized that I (aside from a few steps I must not seeing or had overlooked that might not have been going on publicly in mumble chat during my regular time just as a DD, like getting in touch with the scout to make sure he's out searching for the first site B4 undocking is engaged/called-out) I had pretty much had soaked up most of the on-field actions and call-outs that an FC is responsible for in a safe and efficient manner. After the first few sites, I quickly started to think how much I would have regretted dropping out and withdrawing from my volunteered position. Thanks to Logan (for his consistency and take over after I decided I should stop before I fell asleep) and Mustang (For his Epicly concise and quick-witted command call-outs during the contested sites) no one got hurt I believe we ran double digits [15-16]that night if my memory serves me correctly and we all got to enter the docking bay in the ships that we undocked in. So I was happy. and I'm sure that I'll get more opportunities in the near future.
<<

Kendaer Draconis

Portrait

Post 2018.01.17 02:52

I've been running a few nights now as DD, and each night I've learned something new.

Night 1) Battle ships are slow. Slow to move and slow to lock up a target. (at least Hyperions).
Night 2) don't forget to turn on your sensor booster (this partially solved the slow to lock up problem)
Night 3) control-click is MUCH faster to target than trying to use the radial menu. Why isn't control-click taught in the tutorials.
Night 4) .. tonight .. stay tuned! (dunno what I'll learn tonight, but I'm sure it'll be something :) )
<<

Reembody

Portrait

Post 2018.01.27 05:20

So I have been flying DD on grid for a few weeks now and tonight we were short a FC volunteer so I volunteered myself. I would of liked to of waited a little longer since I'm still pretty new but I figured someone would correct me if I mess up. I learned that I probably should of volunteered to scout at least once to learn that role as I am very unfamiliar and was not able to explain anything about it. (Thanks for the assist Grune!) The system was calm and form up took awhile so we only got in 8 sites before we had to fold but thankfully the night was uneventful and were able to make some ISK.
<<

Atrek Nhaz

Portrait

Post 2018.02.10 08:05

Lessons/takeaways from tonight:
1. Always remember the ore.
2. Always have more ore ready.
3. When having a new person drop ore, remind them to drop the right amount of ore.
4. FC should drop ore last so when ore is gone you know to get more.
5. Bring a mining laser for ore. (I need to do this)
Atrek Nhaz
Project Solitude | Incursions Community | HSC | AMC | LSC | NSC
<<

Reembody

Portrait

Post 2018.02.10 15:34

So adventures in FC'ing continued.

So I have FC'd for about half a dozen nights now and last night was pretty fun with a lot of firsts. Experienced my first low 5 minute site as a FC thanks to everyone doing a awesome job. Also had my first contest while FC'ing which I could of handled better(thanks for the help Logan) but we were pretty competitive with the contesting group so that's always enjoyable no matter the outcome. Of course had my first hick-up, we were about 21 sites in and I dropped my Ore for the logi's in a NMC not knowing as FC I should be the last person. So 2 sites later we were out of Ore for the fleet without knowing, we had to have someone contract some more to the scout to get a stack and they were the one to run the ore so we could be paid. Then we tried to find another site we could do but all were busy or we didn't have the Ore. It was close to a time when most people were going to be leaving so and with a empty wait-list for those roles we docked up on a slightly sour note on a otherwise successful 23 site night.

In my experience in a little over a month of running incursions every night the ore problem hasn't come up yet so I was unfamiliar with that situation. Going forward I will be the last one to drop my ore as FC and call for a quick dock up and resupply afterwords. 8)
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2018.02.10 16:46

Reembody wrote:So adventures in FC'ing continued.
I'm glad to see you sticking with it. Good job, keep going! :)

Reembody wrote:Going forward I will be the last one to drop my ore as FC and call for a quick dock up and resupply afterwords. 8)
There are many ways to handle ore, you're not limited to being the last one to drop etc, that's entirely up to each individual fleet commander to figure out what works best for them. In general I recommend you find ways to be proactive instead of reactive. Most things can be predicted and planned for, thus safer and more efficient compared to scenarios where you're being reactive, after the fact.

You're not that much better off personally being the one with the last stack for example. If you find a way to remind yourself how much ore is left, perhaps by getting into the habit of asking everyone who has ore to x up every now and then, you'll know ahead of time when you're running low instead of it being "sprung" on you as you're down to your last stack. Being proactive means you could plan ahead for when you need an ore restock and have an alt already at the next site with an Orca waiting, or do a quick planned dock-up. Also something as simple as making sure everyone has ore before undocking can often prevent this need, although if you're stuck in a busy system running Nation Mining Colonies a lot, you'll of course run into the problem you've been running into.

Having said that ... it's still an extremely low priority issue :)

As a new fleet commander I'd recommend you focus on our safeties; learn why we do what we do and what happens if we don't, how to engage your fleet to keep people attentive and on the ball. Start learning how to predict what happens, while being ready for things not turning out the way you expected. Learn how to spot if the fleet is following your target calls or not, learn to spot if there's cause for concern with slow broadcasts, slow reps etc. Focus on getting an efficient and alert fleet going that not only do what they are supposed to do, but more importantly what you're telling them to do, as that will not only make your fleets safe, but as a welcomed side-effect make everyone more money.
<<

Jonathan Wolf

Portrait

Post 2018.02.14 08:20

A bit late, but here is my thoughts about first two incursion fleets as DD.

So, before i bought my DD Rokh, i was flying with our community as scout or picket, so i more or less know the sites, targets, waves, what shoot and dont shoot and so on. What i didn't know was how much attention you need when entering grid. I had no problem with drones on the first fleet, but i had problems with keeping rats targeted all the time. Also, as my ship have the longest allign time, i need to allign earlier. On the second fleet targeting was better, but i was forgting to put out drones from time to time. Overall the fun was great, and i hope that there will be more EUTZ incursion fleets-USTZ fleets are unaviable to me for most of the time.
Image Image Image
<<

Leitsu Honam

Portrait

Post Today 21:00

I’ve been running Incursions for a few nights as a hacker/picket while I wait for my DD skills to train, and I’ve learned to do many things in those few nights.

1. Being a picket ISNT as bad as “Sit in a system in silence for oh so many hours” - you get to talk to and listen to really cool people talk and get to ask them questions about pretty much anything in EVE.

2. Being a hacker is even more fun, as you get to fly on grid for a few seconds (and immediately get a rush as you try to hack the tower before you get blown into oblivion), you also get to directly help the fleet, which is always nice

3. The Imicus is nice, Heron might be better (but I’m a Gallente loyalist)

4. OTA rule trumps safety

I hope to fly with you guys as a DD in a month!
Previous

Return to Incursions