Seeking some advice

For questions and suggestions about what to do or train next.
Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
BlackFrostEmperor

Seeking some advice

Post by BlackFrostEmperor »

Sorry if this is a little long-winded, just looking for some help getting started with actively playing the game. Thus far, I've really only completed the tutorial (including the first Epic Arc). However, I'm looking for help picking a ship (or three) in regards to what I'd like to do going forward.

Initially, I'll just be ratting/doing missions, and maybe incursions and/or abyssal deadspace. (I know next to nothing about the latter.) As a means of generating isk and rep, all while waiting on my skill-plans to finish.

As of right now, I've completed the Short Skill-Plans, and I'm on my first trek down the Pyramid Skill-Plans. I'm nearing the end of Level 2-T2 Tank, as of right now, I have 0 interest in tackling/ewar/logi in pvp, I've grown tired of constantly providing support in games, I just want to be an in-your-face damage dealer. (Emphasis on the in-your-face. No long-range railguns for me!) Planning to follow it into the Level 3-Gunnery/Turrets plan (drones and missiles/rockets are a no-go. The latter may be viable, if they're also close range, or at the nearest cusp of mid-range; and I don't think command bursts are really a viable path for someone primarily playing solo.)

With my current work/sleep schedule, I expect that any time I do get to play, I'll primarily be solo, but I still want to be PVP viable for fleets, without just being a gimped tackle/ewar/logi provider because I chose not to follow those paths. I'm probably forgetting something, but any other clarifications needed can be made in response. Thank you all, in advance.
Tremitry Darkstar

Re: Seeking some advice

Post by Tremitry Darkstar »

Some quick tidbits:

Organized Eve University fleets will usually follow specific doctrines. Most of them are listed here: https://forum.eveuniversity.org/viewforum.php?f=296

Different campuses will follow different doctrines since the content they may be facing can be unique to the type of space they are in. When you're in a doctrine fleet and you're comitting to flying a specific ship, then the FC will be expecting you to have the capabilities that are fitted into that ship as listed in the doctrine. Doctrines make it easy for new players to know what ship builds are effective, and it makes it easy for the FC to know what capabilities they have in the fleet they are leading. So, just completely ignoring some skill paths isn't advisible, although it's perfectly ok to prioritize them for later. There's some other more general reasons to not ignore entire ship skills too.

Larger ships will have drone bays, regardless of the faction, so don't ignore drone skills. This is actually good because larger ships with larger turrets will have a really hard time hitting small, fast ships with their guns. As turrets get larger and do more damage, their ability to track targets worsens so small ships can often evade fire from stuff like battleships, and then begin causing some havoc like tackling high-value targets. Drones are also super useful for killing frigates in your higher-level PvE content as well.

If you're playing "in your face", then you're probably tackling too. Tackling in general is short range and you kind of need it if you want your target to actually stay within range of your guns, or even to just stay on grid with you. Without it, what's stopping your opponent from just burning away to kite you or simply warping off? Most short-range DPS doctrine ships will have at a minimum a warp disruptor in order to keep enemies on grid. Many will include a statis webifier to keep the targets in close range (and also has a nice side effect of making the ship easier to hit with weapons). You'll want to be able to use these modules for sure given your stated playstyle so you ensure that your PvP content stays to play with you.

Rockets are small short-range missiles. In fact, all flavor of missile launchers can be leveraged at short or long range. The larger launchers, like cruise/torpdeo launchers, also tend to have longer range than, say, light missile launchers. But the missiles are also, objectively, larger, so that kind of makes sense. Same goes for turrets anyway, with small turrets having less range than larger turrets generally. But if the ships you want to fly have missile bonsuses, then you can absolutely fit some brawling missile ships. One that comes to mind off-hand is the Jaguar, for instance.

My TLDR advice? Don't dismiss entire skill trees out of hand. Even if you just want to brawl with other players, you'll find that having some additional capabilities will help with your brawling, and might even be mandatory despite not being a direct mechanism to increasing outgoing DPS or reducing incoming DPS. Also, take a look at the doctrines for the campus you want to contribute to and prioritize the skills in your skill plan to fly specific ships. Feel free to ask questions to others in that campus what doctrines are usually used to get a better idea of some commonly needed ships there. The doctrines tend to indicate the general way to fly the ships listed in them, so look at the close range options and see what you can fly, what you can almost fly, and what you can't, and then adjust your skill plan accordingly.
-Tremitry Darkstar
Arin Mara

Post by Arin Mara »

I assume you don't like exploration, because you didn't mention it once :P

If you want to be a lone wolf pouncing on innocent sheep-like ships, I strongly suggest a Saber, a Destroyer class Interdictor.

There was a very competent pilot who took their Sabre to Null Security Regions and had a blast with it. They blasted a lot of ships too :D Unfortunately, I can't find their Forum post... they asked if anyone has any advice on fitting a killer Stratios as they've just lost one to an Ishtar (if memory serves me right :)).
BlackFrostEmperor

I’m trying to get myself to like drones, because I know how useful they are, for sure. I just absolutely despise anything drone heavy. (I completely close out of anything on EVE Workbench that has more than two drones.)

I haven’t really gotten into exploration, because it doesn’t so much *feel* like I’m exploring, so much as it feels like I’m just a salvager. As for jumping on innocents, definitely not! If anything, I’d prefer to go more the bounty-Hunter/anti-piracy approach with PVP.

I was definitely looking more at EWAR skills after finding out about Black Ops drops. That is definitely something that interests me.

Edit: I’m fine with mining drones, the micromanagement doesn’t bother me as much there. Maybe I’ll feel the same way with combat drones once I get more comfortable with combat as a whole.
Last edited by BlackFrostEmperor on 2021.03.13 12:01, edited 1 time in total.
Rogue Nighn

Post by Rogue Nighn »

BlackFrostEmperor wrote: 2021.03.13 10:28 I’m trying to get myself to like drones, because I know how useful they are, for sure. I just absolutely despise anything drone heavy. (I completely close out of anything on EVE Workbench that has more than two drones.)
you are doing yourself a disservice especially considering a good number of the blops ships are drone boats and use them heavily, just five drones a drone boat does not make, a lot of ships can handle five drones and are not considered drone boats at all.
BlackFrostEmperor wrote: 2021.03.13 10:28 I haven’t really gotten into exploration, because it doesn’t so much *feel* like I’m exploring, so much as it feels like I’m just a salvager. As for jumping on innocents, definitely not! If anything, I’d prefer to go more the bounty-Hunter/anti-piracy approach with PVP.
what have you done in exploration as of yet, there is more than just the hacking minigame there :P
BlackFrostEmperor wrote: 2021.03.13 10:28 I was definitely looking more at EWAR skills after finding out about Black Ops drops. That is definitely something that interests me.
a lot of these skills you are 'disliking' are not always a dedicated role and are dispersed amungst the fleet so you will end up needing those skill anyway just to fit doctrine ships.

have you ever tried to get on mumble, we can help you get all this figured out right quick there :)
She/Her
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
BlackFrostEmperor

Most of my experience in-game so far has been solo, so almost nothing beyond the tutorials in many regards. I’ll see if Mumble works for me now or not, I was hoping I could stick
with Discord.😂

It’ll have to wait until Monday night though, work and all. :p
Tremitry Darkstar

Post by Tremitry Darkstar »

Yeah, the majority of ships in the game above frigate class have drone bays, and almost all of them can have at least 5 light drones. But only a few of those will be considered "drone boats" that rely heavily on them. I really don't consider ships that can fit 5-10 light drones a drone boat at all, really. Those ships are still using turrets/missiles and the drones are just a suppliment or designed to plug a specific role that your guns/ship cannot effectively do on it's own. If you thumb your nose at any ship that has 25 m3 of drone bay capacity, then you're ignoring something like 70-90% of the ships in the game.
-Tremitry Darkstar
Fudster

Post by Fudster »

Hiya,

Finding your way in game can be tough for someone doing it alone, especially just after the emptiness of the tutorials; they’re a bit dull.

My advice is just reach out for help as much as you can. The community here on EVE and in Eve Uni is great. Don’t be worried to ask simple questions, either. There is a lot of jargon and acronyms to learn, but it’s sometimes better to have the human touch. If you can get on Mumble (you don’t have to talk), but just listen to what is said in a class we run, or when a fleet happens, it can be the thing that turns your game around.

Also: what I do is that I follow a lot of YouTube folks that play my type of game. It helps me figure out things before I go in game and try them myself.

If you need to bounce any ideas, or just need some guidance, just keep asking questions in our discord.

Play your game, your way and take it at your pace.

FuD
:stop: Not a responsible person.

Please ignore comments
Valdgir Munchausen

Post by Valdgir Munchausen »

I don't like drones and missiles either so I went for Projectile Weapons and Minmatar ships. I thought it's better to be good at one weapon type than mediocre at everything.

Autocannon Thrasher is a perfect low-sec ratting and a great solo pvp ship. I did lots of pve in an artillery Thrasher, including DED 3/10 sites and Guristas and Angel epic arcs. And Arin mentioned Sabre above, which requires the same skills as the Thrasher (plus Interdictors and Propulsion Jamming) and can be a great solo pvp ship as documented in this post: https://forum.eveuniversity.org/viewtop ... nt#p934902

But remember than all in-your-face damage dealers are an easy target for kiters!