Raw Skill Points: Notes on Time Efficiency

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Anidien Dallacort

Portrait

Post 2019.10.17 00:09

Raw Skill Points: Notes on Time Efficiency

CCP has been providing raw skill point bonuses over multiple events throughout the year, so I wanted to take a bit of time to provide some skill point math that I know I overlooked for the first portion of the summer login skill point campaign, for those looking to make the most time efficient use out of these bonus skill points.

By "raw skill points", I'm referring to unassigned skill points (SP) on your character sheet, be they from events such as the skilling spree (i.e. kill X NPC's each day to receive 10,000, 25,000, or 50,000 SP), daily log in bonuses like the one that started today, or even through the purchase and use of a Skill Injector. These notes do NOT apply to SP gained in the traditional method - queuing up a skill and training it over time (though some comparisons to this typical method are discussed below).

Summary: the most time efficient use of skill points, are for skills your attributes are NOT ALIGNED TO.

Disclaimer: EVE is a sandbox game, and therefore the *best* use of raw SP, is whatever YOU feel those points are best used to. If you want to finish off that skill you've been wanting for a long time, early - GO FOR IT. This is a cold, mathematical analysis on how to use raw SP to save the most time in the long run. That is not the *best* method, if it's not what YOU WANT.

For those that may be unfamiliar with the ins and outs of character Attributes and how skill points are accumulated over time in your skill queue... this post will gloss over some points that may leave you asking "where did that number come from?". I advise reading up on the wiki post https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Skill_Points#Attributes.

But here's the basis of the conversation:

• Each skill has two associated attributes - a Primary attribute, and a Secondary Attribute
  • Your character has five attributes - Intelligence, Memory, Willpower, Perception, and Charisma
  • You can map your attributes to be between 17 and 27, with a total of 99 points (before implants)
  • An "ideal" attribute map to a skill in training, is 27 points in the Primary attribute, and 21 points in the Secondary attribute
  • You gain skill points equal to your Primary Attribute plus Half your Secondary Attribute, each minute (For alpha accounts, divide this by two)
  • You can install learning implants, providing an additional +1 to +5 to each attribute, shifting the maximum attribute alignment to 32 in your Primary attribute, and 26 in your Secondary attribute (27+5 primary, 21+5 secondary).

The minimum number of skill points per minute, therefore, is when you are training a skill with an attribute value of 17 in BOTH the Primary and Secondary skills, with no attribute implants. This provides 17+0.5*(17) SP per minute, or 25.5 skill points per minute = 1530 SP per hour. (Alpha accounts = 50% of this value).

The maximum number of skill points per minute, therefore, is when you have a fully aligned 27 value in the skill's Primary attribute, 21 value in the skill's Secondary attribute, and +5 implants (for at least these two attributes). This provides 32+0.5*(26) SP per minute, or 45 skill points per minute = 2700 SP per hour. (Alpha accounts, again, 50% of this value).

Now, assume you receive 250,000 raw SP, like the Omega portion of the log in bonus today.

If you spend these SP on a skill you are fully aligned to attribute wise (i.e. a Primary Intelligence, Secondary Memory skill, with base mapped 27 Intelligence and 21 Memory, and +5 Intelligence/Memory implants), you will save:

250,000 Skill Points * (1/(2700 Skill Points/Hour) = 92.6 hours of training time.

If, however, you spend these SP on a skill you have minimum mapping to, and no implants (17 in each of Primary and Secondary attributes, no implants), you will save:

250,000 Skill Points * (1/(1530 Skill Points/Hour) = 163.4 hours of training time.

[Alphas - DOUBLE the saved time... since it takes twice as long to get those skill points training, you get twice the benefit from any amount of raw SP!!]

For attribute mapping and implant values between these extremes, you will of course end up somewhere in between.

MORAL OF THE STORY: You save the most skill training time in the long run, by using raw SP for skills your attribute (and therefore likely your long term skill plan), are NOT aligned to.

Do you have an Intelligence/Memory mapping for science or tanking skills, but have a couple of Perception/Willpower "Spaceship Command" skills in your long term plan, to unlock a few new hulls? Skip using the raw SP on the top of your queue that might be stuck on those science or tanking skills, and apply the raw SP right to those Spaceship Command skills!

Want to train up a few gunnery skills, but didn't find a place to squeeze them into your long term mining skill plan? Use the Raw SP to bang out a few of those Perception/Willpower gunnery skills, rather than on your Memory/Intelligence plan.

Not mapped into Charisma (who is for long? haha) but need a new trade skill? Raw SP time!

Final note: for those that use EVEMon (I love it!) - Skip all the math, check the "SP/Hour" column on your skill plan - assign those raw SP to the skills with the lowest value in that column!
<<

Anidien Dallacort

Portrait

Post 2019.10.17 00:13

Re: Raw Skill Points: Notes on Time Efficiency

For those that might not know how to apply skill points directly to a skill - rather than just the top of your queue - see this CCP article:

https://support.eveonline.com/hc/en-us/articles/203699242-Unallocated-Skillpoints

You do not even have to have a skill in your active skill queue, to apply unallocated points.

You do, of course, have to have the skill book injected, and all prerequisites met, however.
<<

Celine en Chasteaux

Portrait

Post 2019.10.17 06:59

Many thanks for this write-up! Shows me how little I have thought about this aspect of the game.
<<

Deli Korsan

Portrait

Post 2019.10.17 08:00

Thanks a million.. Now i see why i can't use my sp wisely..

Great work. So this game is not just about pew pew..

Redmi 4X cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

Return to What Next?