Which ships to aim for next?

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Aleria Ambraelle

Portrait

Post 2018.03.29 01:55

Which ships to aim for next?

Hello my fellow uni members I am hoping some players with more experience then me when it comes to larger ships can help me plan my next move. I have trained up my fitting and support skills and gotten to gallente frigate 5 and amarr frigate 5. So far I have had a blast playing those small ships but now my eyes are looking forward to larger and more impressive ships. My question is which path to pursue first? I am currently an active member of the NSC and plan to try my hand at the terrifying location of WHC just as soon as I am granted my sophomore title. I know that I will eventually train down both paths of ships but between the time taken to get ships skills up to 5 and the different weapons also up to their t2 varient I feel like I need to pick one line to focus on first either gallente or amarr and stick to it at least until I get t2 weapons and into battle-cruisers/t3 cruisers and destroyers.
<<

Biwako Acami

Portrait

Fittings Manager
Fittings Manager

Post 2018.03.29 06:48

Re: Which ships to aim for next?

Its not terrifying really, at least WHC isn't. That's the impression most have before learning experiencing living in wormhole space first hand.

Because of mass limitations on low class wormholes, the ideal ship class to train for is the cruiser. Most wormhole corps tend to have large fleets of T3 Cruisers for combat situations. Minmatar's Loki is all the rage this year. Since your pick of races for frigate training almost seems like it was meant to maximize use of Astero you could continue to train Amarr and Gallente for the Stratios, another commonly seen ship in Wormhole space. Amarr first will possibly give you access to T2 favorites of WHC like Sacrilege, Guardian, Devoter. That isn't to say training Gallente won't work, that line will open up PvE possibilities earlier on (with emphasis on Drone skills) much like it does in Nullsec and the Proteus can be a devastating ganker if you like that kind of playstyle.

You don't have to jump straight to Cruisers. Interdictors and T3 destroyers are useful in W-Space. I feel its always handy having a T3D skill at hand. Again Amarr's Confessor finds the most use for both PvE and PvP mostly because of its strength in wormhole systems with the Wolf Rayet bonuses. Some of us with dual accounts train our alts to fly Minmatar's Sabre to help our mains in PvP (when done right.)

But if you like scouting through wormholes and hunting for content (for a group) you'll find that the Astero is the ideal ship to fly. Don't feel like the training will hold you back from contributing to WHC when you get there. You can get to WHC and then decide how to proceed based on the need if you'd like to do that instead. We have a few exciting new doctrines proposed for the newer WHC members that caters to a wider variety of racial skill preferences.
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImage
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Post 2018.03.29 10:03

Worth noting is that the step from frigates to destroyers is much smaller than the other steps, as destroyers use the same small gunnery skills that frigates use, and so you just need to train the ship skills to enjoy that new hull. Cruisers on the other hand requires both new ship skills as well as new medium gunnery skills.
<<

Rodger Kint

Portrait

Post 2018.03.29 14:19

Don't feel you have to get to Skill V to enjoy larger ships.

I'd run the gallente and amarr ship skills up to battlecruiser to III first. That lets you sit in a lot of T1 ships for about a week training. The main WH related gain is the first ratting boat of many WHs, the Myrmidon. You'll need drone skills if you're going to go very far with Gallente. If you end up in Null sec the Vexor Navy Issue is the entry ratting boat of choice.

Then I'd go for amarr cruiser V. That leads to legion and guardian and sacrilege, all solid WH ships.

Next, get an interdictor, just because, fun. the Sabre is arguably worth the cross train in Minmatar. That's destroyers V.

Now that's probably 6 months or more of training so I advise not to worry about beyond that. You'll have a better idea what you want to do in six months when you get there.
KEEP CALM & DEFFO BLAP YO
The boy who cried Moros * Content Creator * Graduate * Awoxer - The Equalizer
<<

Aleria Ambraelle

Portrait

Post 2018.03.29 16:48

Thank you guys very much for the responses. I think I will go with the idea of getting up to battlecruiser 3 then train up more specifically in amarr cruiser, I will bring the glory of gold to the NSC. I do have one follow up question however. I noticed a few times minmatar ships were brought up, specifically the sabre though I have also heard the sleipnir mentioned before. Up till now minmatar haven't really caught my eye are they a faction worth looking more into now or should I focus more on amarr ships and their weapons then maybe look at them again down the line?
<<

Rodger Kint

Portrait

Post 2018.03.30 02:54

Every faction has ships that are the best at some aspect of eve. The key is to figure out what you want to DO, and then look at which tools/ships are the best platform, which are ok, and then cross check against your known skills and how long it will take you to sit in the "best" ship as opposed to the "ok" ship.

You asked where to go from frigates and expressed interest in the WH campus which is in located in a C2 and PVEs in a C3. So it's armor, Amarr cruisers that contain the best early train cross-section of tools for that interest. The Legion isn't the best T3 for WHs in many specific roles but it is a generalist that does a lot of stuff well enough and the Guardian in pairs is the best armor logi ship by far, the HAC sacrilege is also quite good.

Yes, Minmatar has some good ships, as do all the races. They also have some sucky ships, as do all the races. I finally got all the my racial cruiser skills to V just this year, four years into the game. Did I miss not having them all? Pretty much no. Why did I finally train Gallente Cruiser V? Silly reason, I picked up a Proteus on fire sale and I wanted to fly it.

Eve is a game where execution matters. Your skill with the ship trumps a lot of 5% advantage of this and 5% of that. So go fly stuff that isn't the best and isn't perfect and train yourself to fly so that you blow away the people who station spun waiting for their eve skills to get to V, didn't yolo with T1 guns. Just get out there and get blow up. I learn something every time I get blown up. Usually it's a mistake that I won't repeat but occasionally it's observation of how the enemy got me that I can use on my enemies.

The Sabre is the best dictor because it can fit a much larger tank than any other dictor. It's role is to tackle and live long enough for the fleet to land so tank is important. It's also a shield ship so its faster than a heavily armor tanked dictor is - when you are sprinting across a region to get tackle on a Rorqual before alliance intel reaches it, speed is good. The slephinir you mentioned is a shield command ship that also puts out a lot of damage, for a command ship, so in a small shield fleet it shines but all command ships are a hell of a long train. I wouldn't catalog all the best ships here, CCP does occasionally rebalance and nerf the best ships so it might be out of date by the time you get around to choosing. Just figure out what your task is and then reach out to your friends and the community to discuss what ships are good at that task and why they are good.
Last edited by Rodger Kint on 2018.03.30 13:58, edited 1 time in total.
KEEP CALM & DEFFO BLAP YO
The boy who cried Moros * Content Creator * Graduate * Awoxer - The Equalizer
<<

Aleria Ambraelle

Portrait

Post 2018.03.30 05:32

That makes a lot of sense thank you Rodger. I now feel like I have a good idea where to move to next.

Return to What Next?