Happy CODE Outreach Day!

Forum rules
While this forum is not exempt from EVE University's communications rules, it is not as heavily moderated as some other forums. Please try to stay on topic and avoid arguments as much as possible.
<<

Don DeLillo

Portrait

Post 2016.06.16 09:12

Happy CODE Outreach Day!

Sent: 2016.06.14 18:40
To: Don DeLillo,

Well hello there miner! :)

May I be the first to extend to you a warm welcome to the CODE family - we hope our time together will have brought a whole new level of fun to the game which is our goal here! While I realise you have suffered this recent loss, lets try to remain calm as any agent of the new order will instruct you to do and focus on the positive side of whats happened!
Right now your probably thinking 'Jeez, I wish I'd brought a permit like I know I'm supposed to but I thought that didnt really apply to me but boy was I wrong'.

Well heres the great news!

As part of our CODE outreach programme we're offering a great special on permits today! Anyone lucky enough to recieve this mail can purchase a one year mining permit for a small fee of 10,000,000 ISK and its valid for an entire year! Pure value for money. After that you will be free to mine/haul/mission in highsec, knowing that James 315 our Lord and leader has given his approval for you to use his territory, providing you follow the CODE and dont deviate from what we have instructed you to do at all times. Remember, this includes but is not limited to:

* Either docking or asking a local CODE agent for permission to use the bathroom if requiring bathroom breaks
* Having a friendly 'Praise James!' ready whenever you see an Agent enter local chat
* Making sure your permit is valid and up to date at all times

If the fee is too much or you simply disagree with following our rules in highsec which James 315 (praise his name) oversee's ever since he was voted in as ruler of highsec (without a single vote against him which shows either you forgot to vote or love the man) then maybe consider a move into lowsec or null, there are some great and exciting corporations out there who would be thrilled to have you onboard!

Feel free to mail me back with the correct fee and we will get you sorted!

Have a great CODE compliant day! :)

Your local friendly CODE knight

Snigie Audanie

P.S Dont forget, minerbumping.com will answer all your questions! Read the holy texts and enlighten your life!

P.P.S: Please, if mailing James 315 regarding this issue, make sure you are very polite and explain the entire issue clearly to him, he is very busy and normally responds with a short period. Thanks!
<<

Don DeLillo

Portrait

Post 2016.06.16 09:14

Kill Info

2016.06.14 18:36:55

Victim: Don DeLillo
Corp: EVE University
Alliance: Ivy League
Faction: Unknown
Destroyed: Retriever
System: Raneilles
Security: 0.6
Damage Taken: 7,522.00

Involved parties:

Name: Snigie Audanie (laid the final blow)
Security: -3.9
Corp: The Conference Elite
Alliance: CODE.
Faction: None
Ship: Catalyst
Weapon: Light Neutron Blaster II
Damage Done: 7,522.00

Destroyed items:

Plagioclase, Qty: 18,830.00
Azure Plagioclase, Qty: 18,849.00
Contaminated Lorentz Fluid (Cargo)
Plagioclase Mining Crystal I
Veldspar Mining Crystal I (Cargo)
Modulated Strip Miner II

Dropped items:

Plagioclase Mining Crystal I
Modulated Strip Miner II
Survey Scanner I
Veldspar Mining Crystal I (Cargo)
Mining Laser Upgrade I
Mining Laser Upgrade I
Mining Laser Upgrade II

<-- Generated by EVEMon -->
<<

Don DeLillo

Portrait

Post 2016.06.16 09:22

CODE family

a fellow unista told me that Snigie Audanie also show up around Amygnon and is a real pain.
GOOGLerBY RUZ Retriever has been blown to pieces by Snigie - about four times the last couple of days.

Who is this James 315.. is this CODE family a serious endangerment or a bunch of trolls?
<<

Paxte Eriker

Portrait

Post 2016.06.16 10:03

Re: Happy CODE Outreach Day!

the whole minerbumping/James315 thing is basically roleplaying. Suicide gankers (whether part of CODE or not) are a persistent threat in highsec however there are ways to significantly mitigate your vulnerability to them. One of the best ways is to set standings on them so they will be easily seen in local and never be afk while mining.
<<

Melkor Gengod

Portrait

Post 2016.06.16 10:47

CODE is a relatively large alliance. They are BOTH serious threat and a bunch of trolls
http://evemaps.dotlan.net/alliance/CODE

They roleplay them selves as the "saviours of hisec" by ganking anybody they see that is autopiloting, (https://zkillboard.com/kill/52518261/) or any industrial they see as an easy target. They are almost entirely alts of people that have more serious mains that every now and then just want to be bad. There are unistas, with CODE alts.

At prime times, they frequently work alongside goons in the Udema and Niraja pipes, ganking freighters and historically, doing so for the fun rather than profit so an empty freighter would be just as much of a target, although not as much lately as the "anti-ganking" chat channel has started fighting back. More recently, thet can be seen at hisec choke points near Jita that come from Lowsec areas to catch Jump Freighters Eg http://evemaps.dotlan.net/system/Isanamo where they have set up an Astrahau just off the Uemisaisen gate.

At quieter times, they roam solo and in smaller groups looking for miners to gank

- As Paxte says, get personal standings to red so they are visible as soon as they enter system.
- Move in to a a procurer or skiff if working in lower security systems (0.5-0.7) if fit properly, these ships can out tank a catalyst long enough for concord to show up.

It is the nature of the sandbox of Eve that for everyone that wants to create, there is someone that wants to destroy. It is hard at first, to get your head around, but eventually you start to realise that it is just an opportunity for people to wear a different mask and play the bad guy.
It is a bit like the hisec wars the the university is always at threat from. There is nothing you can do about it, there is a game mechanic that they utilise, instead you need to learn how to minimise their effect by staying alert, looking out for their presence, fitting your ship effectively, understand the mechanics they use, and eventually they will just become a minor annoyance.

There is a reason why those of us that live in Low/Null and WH space find hisec scary and don't like going there....
<<

HyperFlareX

Portrait

Post 2016.06.16 11:02

my protip: don't mine in 0.6 or 0.5: you're a lot safer now
if you do want to: fit tank, and mine aligned, and WARP OUT as soon as a non-mining ship enter the belt.

miners are unkillable if piloted right. The AFK miners are the ones that die.

<<

Don DeLillo

Portrait

Post 2016.06.16 11:27

tnx for the quick and informative respond..
note to myself - afk mining is a bad habit. I’ll try to get rid of it.
<<

Paledan Safemal

Portrait

Post 2016.06.16 12:10

TL-DR: AFK mining is a horrible idea when in the wardecced E-Uni, is usually a bad idea in most of the rest of the game, but you can make it work, sort of, if you know what you're doing.

AFK mining in an E-Uni character is a seriously bad idea, because the Uni is regularly wardecced (declared war on by corporations looking to farm easy kills in highsec).

AFK mining in general is possible, as long as you follow some basic safety guidelines:
- If you're mining in highsec, and if your corporation is not wardecced, it's ok to AFK mine as long as you are in something very tanky like a Procurer. The trouble with the Proc is you only have 10-15 minutes' worth of mining in the hold before you're full.
- If you're mining in highsec and not wardecced, you can mine AFK in a Retriever, as long as you fit for max tank and are in an out-of-the-way system, preferably one with a high security status like 0.9 or 1.0. Yes, I know the rocks aren't as good in those systems, it's called risk vs reward, you can't have everything.
- Mining AFK in more dangerous parts of space can be done as well, as long as you know how to minimize risk:
  • I don't see why anyone in his right mind would want to mine in lowsec, let alone AFK mine in lowsec, but if you really, really want to, some of the out of the way systems during the quieter times of the day might be semi-viable, i.e. you won't lose too many ships doing it. But it's a generally horrible idea.
  • There are areas of nullsec that are quiet: out of the way pockets where nobody every goes, and where you'll be fairly safe.
  • Mining gas in wormholes is horribly boring and can be done AFK, if you have scanned your chain and are reasonably confident you'll be left alone.

Eve is a complex game, where the most common answer to a question is "it depends". Don't listen to sheep bleeting back the simple guidelines they've been told, like "AFK is bad, autopiloting is evil". Like everything, being AFK carries rewards - which I don't need to get into - and costs.
- Mining AFK is usually less effective, because you can't react to a changed environment, and because it forces you into less effective sectors of the game.
- Mining AFK means you will likely lose your ship at some point. Ok, that super-tanky Procurer in a 1.0 system is really unlikely to ever get ganked, but a bored CODE. member may well try to bump it out of its asteroid belt just for fun. In all the other cases I listed, like mining in a Retriever or out of highsec, do enough AFK mining and you will lose your ship. All you can do is make sure you don't lose it often enough that the whole venture is unprofitable.

If you're aware of the risks, and if you're fine with the costs involved, then AFK mine (or autopilot, or rat) to your heart's content!

Oh, and it goes without saying: do not pay CODE. the 10m they ask of you.

And for when you stop being AFK:

HyperFlareX wrote:miners are unkillable if piloted right.

^this.
<<

Hong Hu

Portrait

Post 2016.06.16 14:41

Melkor Gengod wrote:There are unistas, with CODE alts.

That is a vicious libel and you take that back right now!

I would never have used my main account carrying Hong Hu for such vile behaviors.

<<

Swguru

Portrait

Post 2016.06.16 14:44

Hong Hu wrote:
Melkor Gengod wrote:There are unistas, with CODE alts.

That is a vicious libel and you take that back right now!

I would never have used my main account carrying Hong Hu for such vile behaviors.

Being a mercenary is only one step above CODE anyway. :twisted:
Former ILN BG1 - Former Recruitment Officer - Still Insane
ImageImage
<<

K950

Portrait

Post 2016.06.16 16:47

I thought that letter on the opening post was pretty good actually, reminiscent of a WiNGSPAN courtesy letter.

Mining in high security space: All of what was said earlier. But every time I can, I like to mention an alternative approach.

That said approach is really left best to an OOC noob corp alt. It also can work well with a trucker Miasmos and three of your buddies. A boosted Covetor fills up its orehold once about every two minutes, so you could get the hang of it nicely.

Mining in more rewarding space: Hulk/Covetor, Skiff/Procurer, Prospect/Venture or bust. In safe nullsec space for instance, particularly in a dead-end system with no wormholes in the system, the ingate bubbled with 6 large bubbles, some more aligned to your belts, and a POS available, break out the Hulks/Covetors. A DPS ship on standby (i.e. Hurricane) to blap the rats that show up and you're set for one of the safest places to mine, and mine lots. That is until a NPC dread shows up...

The Prospect is the boss of mining gas or ore in dangerous space, even with hostiles in the system. You can fit it to speed-tank Sleepers or other rats. By using the EP-S Scoped mining lasers, you can mine aligned for longer than with Miner IIs, and you can be nigh-uncatchable if you know what you're doing. An alert, aware, capable Prospect pilot probably won't get caught much, although I know of a way to do it, it would be very difficult to execute indeed.
<<

Raido Kudonen

Portrait

Post 2016.06.16 17:27

Mining while aligned, mining with a proper tank fit, having enough friends in proper tank fits and carrying combat drones that you can kill a ganking Catalyst before they kill you, and adding CODE. members as -10 contacts so that you see them in system are all excellent ways to minimize your risks when doing hisec PvE.

A number of now-alumni put together an excellent class on how not to be ganked in hisec, featuring a CODE. roleplayer providing the ganker's perspective. You can find the recording here and the lecture slides here. I highly recommend it.
"What is good in life, Raido?"
"To crush your enemies. To see them bubbled before you, and to hear the lamentations of their carebears."

Join Fweddit - Be a Space Chikun!
<<

Paledan Safemal

Portrait

Post 2016.06.17 07:01

Small addition:

K950 wrote:Mining in more rewarding space: Hulk/Covetor, Skiff/Procurer, Prospect/Venture or bust. In safe nullsec space for instance, particularly in a dead-end system with no wormholes in the system, the ingate bubbled with 6 large bubbles, some more aligned to your belts, and a POS available, break out the Hulks/Covetors. A DPS ship on standby (i.e. Hurricane) to blap the rats that show up and you're set for one of the safest places to mine, and mine lots. That is until a NPC dread shows up...

^that.

If you have enough Hulks, you don't even need the dps ship, because a ton of drones can kill incoming dps fairly quickly. But it's safer with Mackinaws, as they have almost the same yield but much better tank.

At least so the miners we regularly try to catch tell me :lol:
<<

Xiang Fong

Portrait

Post 2016.12.18 07:03

HyperFlareX wrote:my protip: don't mine in 0.6 or 0.5: you're a lot safer now
if you do want to: fit tank, and mine aligned, and WARP OUT as soon as a non-mining ship enter the belt.

You can mine there, just need to do it right: last night in amygnon I flew with a venture, next to a corp to which I could sell so no walking to station and ofloading, they had an orca filled mostly with fighting drones as well as a few exhumers and a prospector. There was a flashy coming in, but he didn't attack when he saw our force. Was ready to jump out anyway, thats just a good idea.

Return to EVE Politics and Trolling