OP Homulilly: Aftermath of a weekend

Silvox Lunae

Re: OP Homulilly: Aftermath of a weekend

Post by Silvox Lunae »

Alto DeRaqwar wrote:I just wanted to commend Silvox Lunae; during the Saturday dead spot between the US-EU changeover we were low on numbers and our FC was a bit AFK as I believe he hadn't slept in the last 20 hours. Silvox stepped up and coordinated the pickets; ensured both wormholes and the POSs were being actively monitored along with keeping people entertained with https://plug.dj/eve-university until Titus logged back on and took over.

Nothing happened during that period but without Silvox if they had tried something from the POS I believe there would have been a high chance they would have escaped.

Good work mate.
As a note to this, I had joined the OP fleet without any intention of FCing. I didn't want to be in any command or leadership positions and was fully prepared to simply take orders rather than give them. The only reason I'd eventually been deemed the FC was due to me being the only one asking questions about how many people we had where and checking to see if the pickets were awake. There were many instances where people who had missed the travel fleet would show up asking where to go, and no one answered so I decided to. When the leading FC said he had to leave, I asked if anyone else was willing to take up FC at which point a number of people responded I was already doing that. I didn't have any intention to lead, and didn't make any claims about whether or not it would be competent.

If I was one of the people who took up FC when I shouldn't have, I apologize.
Cassiel Seraphim
Title: Speaker of Truth, Timelord, Graduate

Post by Cassiel Seraphim »

First and foremost I'd like to thank everyone involved in this, big and small efforts alike. Thank you for giving us more content!

That said, there's always room for improvement, so here are my thoughts:

I'd like to echo some of what Gareth said about not using the command channel so much. If we skipped that, then perhaps more people would get some involuntary knowledge about what goes on and why something is needed when picketing the holes. This could lead to more people being able to help cover timezones with less people in them, or at the very least spark discussions about wormhole mechanics. Overall, like Gareth pointed out - It's a lost opportunity to learn.

As for the operation itself, it was mostly a smooth ride, especially in the beginning. But towards the end it was a little less organized.

1) It was good that there were fits readily available for this op, but perhaps it might be even better next time if we make a mention of bringing a mobile depot, probe scanner and some drones ... if you have the room. Even experienced pilots forget that sometimes *coughs*.

2) The reinforcement timers were hidden away in a post by Titus deep within the forum thread. Even though it was eventually mailed out as a link to the forum, it would have been far better if that was both added to the original post and mailed out ingame to the entire corporation so people wouldn't have to look outside the game to find information about what happens ingame.

3) There was no information readily available on extracting from the wormhole, at least not as far as I could find (please point it out if I missed something obvious). Not everyone was there in the end and got out with the fleet once everything was destroyed, so they probably had some issues sorting that out. First of all, there should have been some kind of pre-information about what people could expect once the killing was over. It would have been very helpful if a mail was sent out, both to inform people when the E-UNI POS was scheduled to be taken down and when it actually was. Dedicate a channel on mumble for "stragglers" needing to get out, information about who to contact for scanning down holes or generally to know who to contact if you needed someone who was still in there.

As it turned out, the following day the POS was gone, the fleet channel was gone, no alliance or corporation mails, nothing. I can't help feel that we might have stranded some poor unistas in the whole. Personally I just bugged Rashar and Ulrik, hoping they had a scanner alt in there, which Rashar did and he got me out. But others might not be as lucky to know how and who to contact.
Seamus Donohue
Title: Professor, Living Encyclopedia, Graduate

Post by Seamus Donohue »

Melkor Gengod wrote:It's simplicity was genius and I was on the back foot. I couldn't say no, how does a 35 year old man tell his in laws they can't visit their daughter because he wants to play Internet spaceships. Dammit woman, you have once again got the better of me..... again.
"Hey, Dad-In-Law, good to hear from you! Listen, there's been some miscommunication, here.

"I booked time off work to attend an event with some of my friends, which is the exact weekend that [spouse] told you that I was off work. You can come visit [spouse], of course, but I won't be hanging out with you guys, this time, as I already have a prior engagement.

"The easiest way to explain this is to imagine that I'm in a poker club and that I often like to hang out with friends at this club and play poker 2 or 3 nights a week. I'll explain in a moment why I say "Imagine", but bear with me for a minute, please."
[The user of this template should adjust the example to cite a group activity of some sort that the parent-in-law will understand and respect, such as a poker club, bridge club, tennis club, boxing gym, chess club, chessboxing gym, choir/chorus rehearsal, amateur baseball team, amateur basketball team, book club, Boys/Girls Night Out with old college friends, or so on. The reader is presumed to know the parents-in-law well enough to be able to come up with an example, but it must be a group activity that doesn't necessarily have to involve the spouse. If the activity in question can reasonably be thought to have tournaments or challenges against rival clubs AND/OR infrequent but big and organized events, then so much the better.] "Every now and then, we'll have a huge tournament planned weeks in advance to compete against another poker club. It's a big event that doesn't happen often and I try not to miss out on if I can help it, which is why I scheduled the time off from work."

"Now, the reason I said "imagine" is because the explanation I just gave you is mostly correct with only two differences. The first difference is that the meetup location is on the Internet rather than a physical place. So, I don't need to leave town or even leave the house, I just need my computer and an internet connection. But, I'm still hanging out with friends, even if those friends are separated from me by thousands of miles of fiberoptic cable, and those friends are still real people with real schedules that they all arranged so that they could attend this same event. They're expecting me to be there for them, and besides being a missed opportunity to hang out with then, it would also be inconsiderate of me to fail to show up at this juncture.

"The second difference is that the game the competition is based on isn't poker, it's something else, which you'll often hear [spouse] complain about as "internet spaceships". Again, though, it still involves a lot of people, and my friends are expecting me to be online to help uphold their end of the competition."

---

I have no (successful) first-hand experience with relationships. That being said, the converse situation would be if you had asked your wife to cancel her plans, ditch her friends, and drop everything that she was doing to do something else with you, instead. Just as such a thing would be disrespectful of her time and of her as a person, what she has done (seems to me to be) disrespectful of your time and of you as a person. If she doesn't understand this when put in those terms, then I would be concerned for the marriage, and you may wish to seek counseling.

Again, I have no (successful) first-hand experience with relationships. Get a second opinion. Caveat Emptor.
Titus Tallang
Retired Director
Retired Director
Title: Director of Special Projects, Teacher, Puella Magi

Post by Titus Tallang »

Silvox Lunae wrote:As a note to this, I had joined the OP fleet without any intention of FCing. I didn't want to be in any command or leadership positions and was fully prepared to simply take orders rather than give them. The only reason I'd eventually been deemed the FC was due to me being the only one asking questions about how many people we had where and checking to see if the pickets were awake. There were many instances where people who had missed the travel fleet would show up asking where to go, and no one answered so I decided to. When the leading FC said he had to leave, I asked if anyone else was willing to take up FC at which point a number of people responded I was already doing that. I didn't have any intention to lead, and didn't make any claims about whether or not it would be competent.

If I was one of the people who took up FC when I shouldn't have, I apologize.
That was decidedly not aimed at you. Considering your (lack of) previous knowledge on the subject, you did, in fact, do extremely well. Great job!
*creak*
Par Allain

Post by Par Allain »

Very exciting time to join Eve uni, i enjoyed the whole thing thoroughly from my various watch duties. I am looking forwards to the next large fleet moment. I thought that nothing else quite shows the power of this game than hundreds of ships co-operating in such a large enterprise. Cracking!
White 0rchid

Post by White 0rchid »

Thank you to all the people involved in this, it must have been a lot of work to get it organised. The last time I shot a POS was back in 2008, so it's been quite a while now.

I managed a few snaps while I wasn't trying desperately to hit things with my Damnation.

Whole album here

Some of the travel

Waiting to go in

Shooting modules

WH Guard Duty

Rolling a hole, HICTOR style

Lots of lasers:

POS spinning between bashing

One last POCO bash

WE FORM V0LTA
helioswipe moondraft
Title: He's gone (again), Graduate

Post by helioswipe moondraft »

Don't have much more to add, it was a fun and exciting op. Great job to ALL who helped out.

Something I would like to add is to schedule some events/classes during the quiet times of the op. To create some diversity and to teach aswell for the newer players. Because saturday day just seemed a little to boring, my guess is some people took a break that day since 'nothing' was happening then.
ImageImage
Gideon Askiras

Post by Gideon Askiras »

Wow! Great OP guys, sounds like it was a blast!
Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Alaik

Post by Alaik »

Razor, those pictures in that gallery are incredible!

Personally, I'd have loved to have heard the command discussions. Exposure to the many different layers of logistical, strategic and tactical planning involved in the setup and execution of a operation like this would have been fascinating, and at least something to listen to!
Kyle Hargrove

Post by Kyle Hargrove »

Gareth Correlian wrote: For this you need a good support team BUT in no way should the support team EVER take over command unless serious situational difficulties arise. This weekend was badly mared with backseat FCing. It was so bad that even experienced players had no idea who was the FC. I was embarrassed by this and felt that the fleets commander was not given the opportunity to think. Titus [...]
Dear honored E-UNI member,
The Eve University Department for neologisms generated from current members would like to inform you of our freshly-created word! You might be interested!
E-UNI Book of neologisms, tome 1 wrote: tituseize, (to) [v.]: To forcibly take, to hog in the manner of the excellent EVE University Director of Teaching. Usually the process involves either saying "Gentlemen!" or "Scrubs!", and/or a reference to magical girls.
Disclaimer: no diREKTor feelings have been harmed in the generation of the above definition.
Richard Marte
Title: Sophomore

Post by Richard Marte »

Iri Ryorki wrote:Thoughts about main FC assignation aside, one thing I think would have been useful was a designated Logi coordinator.
Much of what you posted and my comments below would have been greatly helped by this. We really should have a designated FC and logi commander at all times, and they should probably be in the MOTD all the time.

Iri Ryorki wrote:I had to ask around a bit to find out which chat channel was being used for logi coordination...A few people idling in the POS but still in the logi channel, which meant having to explain to newcomers to work around them to keep the chain running. If you're not active please drop the logi channel so it's clear who needs to be included in a chain.
I think these two are somewhat related. If it is hard to get in on the logi channel in the first place, people are going to be reluctant to drop it when they're not on-station. Fleet chat was a constant stream of entertainment, so posting anything operational there and hoping that it would be noticed by somebody was fairly hit-and-miss. Whispering in the logi subchannel often didn't result in much help either, and I found it took a few rounds of asking to get in on the main channel.

You are correct that at times people just stepped up to try to sort things out, but it was one of those organic things that didn't happen all the time.

The other complication was that we were not all on the same grid - you could be on station and in the logi channel, but not part of somebody else's chain who was also in-channel. I found I had to pay attention to the watchlist to get it right. There was one point where I did see somebody in the logi channel and on-grid, only to discover they weren't actually in a logi ship.

There were times when I had to be more afk (but still monitoring comms) and I was idle at the POS. I think that in such situations it probably still makes sense to be in logi chat, so that if the fleet has to form up we're ready to go and the logi coordinator isn't dealing with invites on top of everything else. I'd be interested in whether somebody has a different take on that. However, I would say that this should only be done if comms are being actively monitored - and that if a fight starts and you're not joining you should drop.
Iri Ryorki wrote:In addition to this a few people didn't listen to, or didn't notice, the instructions that everyone else was following so seemed to be turning up at random (wrong) locations and expecting to get in on an organised chain.
Again, I think having a logi coordinator designated would help here. I suspect we were largely on at different times since most of the time I was joining it seemed like nobody was in charge and I would basically just end up picking a hole and bugging people to include me in the chain. At other times it seemed like there was somebody actively inquiring about active logi at each hole and keeping things in balance. This tends to go along with somebody else's comment about level of organization going up and down.

One thing I did want to comment on - the general disorganization when we weren't bashing structures turned out to not be too much of a problem, but that was only because nobody more organized than us decided to take advantage of the situation. If at some point neighbors in the c3 showed up in a bunch of t3s it could have been really messy if they picked a time when we had 3 tackle, 2 dd, and maybe 2 logi on station with 4 people scrambling to figure out who was going to be the FC. It wouldn't have helped that sometimes people had to call break 5 times in a row to get others to stop yammering about whatever. I think the key to these kinds of operations is to be good at creating content to distract everybody from boredom (otherwise nobody stays online), but at the same time always being organized and ready to switch to combat (which is why we wanted them online in the first place).
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Titus Tallang
Retired Director
Retired Director
Title: Director of Special Projects, Teacher, Puella Magi

Post by Titus Tallang »

Kyle Hargrove wrote:
Gareth Correlian wrote: For this you need a good support team BUT in no way should the support team EVER take over command unless serious situational difficulties arise. This weekend was badly mared with backseat FCing. It was so bad that even experienced players had no idea who was the FC. I was embarrassed by this and felt that the fleets commander was not given the opportunity to think. Titus [...]
Dear honored E-UNI member,
The Eve University Department for neologisms generated from current members would like to inform you of our freshly-created word! You might be interested!
E-UNI Book of neologisms, tome 1 wrote: tituseize, (to) [v.]: To forcibly take, to hog in the manner of the excellent EVE University Director of Teaching. Usually the process involves either saying "Gentlemen!" or "Scrubs!", and/or a reference to magical girls.
Disclaimer: no diREKTor feelings have been harmed in the generation of the above definition.
This is going in my bio :P
*creak*
Instigo Pares

Post by Instigo Pares »

Nothing is better than noscoping wardeccers. Great work guys!
"Solo PvP isn't dead! Let me just grab my Falcon alt, my cloaky cyno alt, my scout alt, my off-grid booster alt, my alt who has a bridging Titan, then I can go do some solo PvP!"
Ailise Thellere

Post by Ailise Thellere »

Hi all,

I'm loving all the post event reviewing, it shows that the learning ethos is strong and we all have the best of intentions. A couple of thoughts.

1: My second big event (the last being the BNI frigate brawl) and a very different feel, a different sense of purpose.
2: The challenges of being in charge of a corps and trying to manage both the operation and the learning experience sometimes means that one doesn't get done as well as the other
3: An impromptu 'wormholes 100' class was a great idea to try and solve the issue above
4: The complexities of organizing many people with varying needs, skills, equipment, availability and languages means that actually, it was an AWESOME piece of work
5: We are all volunteers!
6: There is no number 6.
7: I did feel a part of a greater community, even though I don't say much and I do enjoy the banter and the humour - it's supposed to be fun after all

How about a concierge channel, where newbros, people just logging in and updates to where people need to be could be briefed and kept updated. This role would be a part of the leadership so the comms agenda would be managed accordingly? Just a thought.

Anyway, I went to bed on the Sunday with a greater sense of belonging to something and starting to feel like I'm making friends. Next time I might even join in the chat!

Thanks again to everyone who made it possible - your work is, as always, much appreciated.

AT
White 0rchid

Post by White 0rchid »

Ailise Thellere wrote: How about a concierge channel, where newbros, people just logging in and updates to where people need to be could be briefed and kept updated. This role would be a part of the leadership so the comms agenda would be managed accordingly? Just a thought.
Yes, I like this idea and it's worth considering I think. While people aren't too intrusive when they come into mains comms and ask where to go, it's a lot more efficient if there's a particular person/channel they can ask. As the MOTD was not always setup.
WE FORM V0LTA