OP Homulilly: Aftermath of a weekend

Touch O'Death

Re: OP Homulilly: Aftermath of a weekend

Post by Touch O'Death »

Melkor Gengod wrote:
"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned........except the fury that eve university reserves for its war dec enemies that are foolish enough to have assets in space.
Best. Post. Ever!
Pehuen
Retired Director
Retired Director
Title: Director Emeritus, Graduate

Post by Pehuen »

Awesome op, and great spanking, the UNI as a whole should be proud of their efforts here.

As to comm woes - comms were actually extremely good given the facts. We had over 190 unistas in fleet at times, and outside the need for very few breaks, there weren't any serious comm issues - good job by all.
Jed Ellecon

Post by Jed Ellecon »

Great job all around! POSbashing is a bit of a grind, but worth it to strike an incredible blow to some rather dumb wartargets. The real heroes of this op are Alex Robles, Arimos, and the Management for providing us with a weekend of a style of content that we rarely see in the Uni. The only real problems I saw are things Gareth metioned more diplomatically than I can.
Cerulean Ice

Post by Cerulean Ice »

There, put them in an album. http://imgur.com/a/kDiNi

The black Oracle is mine.
The Legion is pretending to be an Oracle too. It belongs to Ulrik.
Professor Academiac
Title: Ensign, Not actually a professor, Teacher, Graduate

Post by Professor Academiac »

Well done everyone. A massive thank you is in order to all those who played any role, big or small, hidden or visible, and contributed in any way to the success of this event. I am really proud to have been a part of this OP, and to be a part of this lovely community, even when it's collective taste in music is questionable. Now everyone kith.
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Teacher • Mentor • Junior FC
Kalen Tsero

Post by Kalen Tsero »

Fantastic OP, Alex and Arimos did a stellar job getting everything set up (including me being slightly incompetent and not pre-staging my DST in Innu). I am saddened that the most I was able to commit was the DST for initial hauling as well as a shopping trip, an extra neut legion on the initial assault, and an extra pair of eyes for several hours of picketing. Stupid work scheduled me the entire weekend instead of me usually having my Friday off T.T (No, I will not get over that WHC, my jimmies won't stop being rustled) I would have loved to be the bridge for AUTZ as FC, but what's done is done. I at least got to FC a travel fleet at the end (y'all in those 3 campuses are impatient ass people, I swear)
Ex-Mentor, Ex-Titles Officer, Ex-Ensign, Ex-WHC Education Officer, Graduate, ECM Teacher, "At least it was cap stable", "Please jam me", "The Jerk We Need"
Jean de Trey

Post by Jean de Trey »

Something I think we could do a bit better on our next major w-space operation, and that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet, is the scouting, scanning, and mapping of the chain. When we (in the WHC) are at home in Innuendo, it is sufficient for someone to say "Hey there is a new sig" in comms, and rely on someone else being in/getting into a scanning ship and correctly performing all the required steps. And we can also generally rely on everyone else not screwing things up by randomly jumping into unscouted systems, or dropping probes at random times for no reason.

It seems that during an op like this one, we can't rely on any of those things, at least not without a bit more organization. For example, we might want to always have exactly one WHC volunteer designated as the active wormhole chain scanner/scout, make sure he knows what he's doing, and make sure everyone else knows they are forbidden to jump through a hole before his work is completed. I also think the organizers of the event should formally designate mapper code-names for the the target system and its static(s), rather than relying on an organic informal evolution. This is how the WHC can help all students learn what we have learned about the best practices of operating in wormhole space.
ImageImage
Iri Ryorki

Post by Iri Ryorki »

**Incoming Logibro mini-AAR**

Thoughts about main FC assignation aside, one thing I think would have been useful was a designated Logi coordinator. I missed the first travel fleet and rocked up alone a few hours later but, aside from it being unclear how to join the fleet due to some ninja-bossing of AFK people, I had to ask around a bit to find out which chat channel was being used for logi coordination. When I got into the chat Odo had taken the reins, but there were times when I logged in over the weekend where it seemed we were a little headless and all doing our own thing.

For the final push I started assigning people roles in the logi channel, so apologies if I ruffled anyone's feathers by doing this but thank you to those who listened and got organised. The pilots who were active in this channel at the time were great, and we soon got everything covered that needed to be and (I thought, sorry Richard!) had stable chains up in all locations. Also, when the call went out to get all of us onto the HS hole people arrived very quickly and the chain managed to get re-sorted in a small amount of time.

There were a few problems I saw over this period. A few people idling in the POS but still in the logi channel, which meant having to explain to newcomers to work around them to keep the chain running. If you're not active please drop the logi channel so it's clear who needs to be included in a chain. In addition to this a few people didn't listen to, or didn't notice, the instructions that everyone else was following so seemed to be turning up at random (wrong) locations and expecting to get in on an organised chain. Richard was right that we didn't make good use of the Logistics channel on Mumble; for my part this is because I did my normal thing of forgetting it existed and sitting in the main channel with everyone else, and when I finally remembered it I then didn't re-assign my whisper key so was probably driving Rashar(~senpaiii) mad with random comments on occasion. Finally, when trying to assign tasks to various things I was asking people to x up for them and on occasion had someone x up only to say they needed to leave about two minutes later; please don't x up for roles if you've already got one foot out the door :D

I had never had to organise logi before so I found it a good learning experience, and a good bit of fun. Thanks to all my logibros for humoring me and letting me assign roles for a bit, it was excellent hanging with you in the chat. Your logi for the final bash were:

Aeternalis Kusoni, Alan Logrus, Alexandra Ax, Eileen Black, Fe Lon Amouh, Fnorg Belvar, Iri Ryorki, Ishtar Mifune, Kazad Munthor, Nathaniel Monroe, Minin Askold, Odowan Paleolithic, Richard Marte, Sparky John and Torg Navatin.

Special mention to Alexandra, Fe, Fnorg, Ishtar, Sparky and Torg for being present from start to finish of the final few hours, and special thanks to Alexandra and Fe for helping me keep things organised. I'm sure there were other people on at other times, so please don't feel bad if you're not mentioned here.

Of course, thanks and congratulations to all organised in running this op, y'all did great. Mumble did get hectic at times and combat comms were not well respected, but I think enough had been said about this already.

EDIT: For clarity and spelling. Partner aggro intensifies when you're supposed to have left for work and are writing forum posts about internet spaceships instead.
Last edited by Iri Ryorki on 2015.05.12 08:21, edited 1 time in total.
Chad Raackman

Post by Chad Raackman »

Really sad to have missed all the fun. Was visiting my new nephew and RL was too important to ignore at the time as it was the wife's birthday Saturday as well. Glad to see us taking it to them, though. Hopefully I can catch the next one!
Valpa Kaloi

Post by Valpa Kaloi »

Melkor, your after action report from the other side of the screen was really educational for all us married unistas. :D

I missed the fun at the first day, came there at the second to watch the wormhole go round and round, but the battle at final day was worth it all. Though I felt like my tiny tackling frigate's targeting system was the most powerful weapon in the universe - almost anything I targeted blew up before I could even activate any module. I managed to scramble/web a single ship for maybe 0.01 seconds before it was gone too.

It was occassionally a bit hard for a newbro to figure out what was going on when there was nothing going on, and where to be needed or useful when coming back from AFK. Asking in the extremely busy fleet chat did not usually provide answers, so I generally just picked a hole at random and went there. Maybe having two tackling wings in the fleet order of battle, each assigned to one wormhole, would have made it easier to see immediately what we had and where, and to go to reinforce the weaker one. Disclaimer: I don't know anything practical about fleets until Thursday's 101 class. :-)

Thank you for all working so hard to make this happen. It was great to be a part of such a big effort!
Ishtar Mifune

Post by Ishtar Mifune »

Richard Marte wrote:Was lots of fun flying logi - was glad I was at least a little useful in the Arctic Light engagement. That's just the way these things go. I managed to be on-grid for most of the ship explosions, and managed in true logi fashion to avoid being on a single killmail!

The killboard really needs a pacifist achievement of some kind. :)
^ this. I got me some POCOs though.

I proceeded to forget my drones several times during the OP. :? Luckily someone found 2 of them and I got them into action. :lol:

The final battle was really interesting. I expected more incoming damage but I guess after seeing how much we had fielded they lost their spirit to fight back. Still great job other logi bros getting there quickly and putting up a cap chain! Pleasure flying with ya'll.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Razorien

Post by Razorien »

Thanks to everyone who organized and made this happen, truly awesome!

I've put some pictures from the operation in my EVE wallpaper collection (view in out of game browser):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/razorieneve/

They are available to download in full 3600x1920 goodness. Have some more footage to go through and will post updates when I get some more time to work on it. Enjoy! \o/
Milodon

Post by Milodon »

Valpa Kaloi wrote:stuff
If you enjoyed the experience consider living in a wormhole after your time in the uni. I was introduced to wormholes in a siege very much like this one (in an Oracle given to me because I couldn't afford it). If you have the patience to go through hours of hole control to get one awesome fight then you'll do well in W-space.

Get sophomore and join the WHC. That campus has a reputation for churning out some very good wormholers.

Edit: holy mother of Bob Razor you are good at eve photography. Those need to be more widely seen.
Ishtar Mifune

Post by Ishtar Mifune »

Milodon wrote:Edit: holy mother of Bob Razor you are good at eve photography. Those need to be more widely seen.
:shock: those are some great pictures. :!:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Titus Tallang
Retired Director
Retired Director
Title: Director of Special Projects, Teacher, Puella Magi

Post by Titus Tallang »

Ishtar Mifune wrote:
Milodon wrote:Edit: holy mother of Bob Razor you are good at eve photography. Those need to be more widely seen.
:shock: those are some great pictures. :!:
+1
*creak*