Welcome to PC9-AY

Forum for posting After Action Reports after PVP encounters.
Forum rules
This forum can be viewed publicly.
Dr Ray Leopold

Welcome to PC9-AY

Post by Dr Ray Leopold »

Background: In the prior week, I had joined EVE Uni in the hopes of improving my PVP skills while also establishing some passive income to help cover to costs of the ships I was likely to lose while I learned. I had just travelled to the PC9 pocket, and was working to setup my initial PI planets. My only ship in system was an Epithal with a Level I prototype cloaking device and a 50 MN MJD. During my first few days in system, I had joined the intel channel and and come to the realization that there were commonly reds in system.

Events: After watching the reds from “Cynosural Field Therory” in PC9-AY system for most of the weekend, I continued to wait for a quiet window to setup my final PI Command Center in the adjacent X-PYH5 system. While waiting, I called out the Red capsuleer Captain Torlek in the intel channel, and was told by someone in the Intel channel that “Captain Torlek was Blue”. I remained skeptical. I finally saw Captain Torlek leave the system and called out “PC9-AY clr” in the NS Intel channel. I received confirmation that “CFT” was quiet for the moment, but could awaken at any time. I waited 5 more minutes, undocked my Epithal, and head for the X-PYH5 gate. While on route to the gate, someone called out in the Intel channel, “Belay that! Captain Torlek in X-P with bubbles out.” Unfortunately, I was already committed to the jump. As I jumped into X-PYH5, I could see two reds in local, but no bubbles or ships, but within seconds a green frigate approached the gate and jumped through in PC9-AY. As they approached, two reds dropped their cloak to try to engage the green frigate. I used the distraction to burn back to the gate and jump back into PC9-AY myself.

As soon as I arrived in PC9-AY two overlapping bubbles appeared around me. I used the 60 seconds I had to zoom out and access the situation. I couldn’t see any other ships, so assumed they had re-cloaked. They were both still visible in local. I determined, the best direction to move to get out of both bubbles with the shortest distance, while also leaving me in a good position to warp to the closest EVE Uni structure in system. With 10 seconds remaining in my gate cloak, I double clicked in the predetermined direction, and activated my prototype cloak. Immediately, a red sabre flown by Captain Torlek decloaked, and sped toward me. Fortunately, he passed within 3700m of my position and didn’t manage to break my cloak. He began circling, hoping to pass close enough to to break my cloak. Within 20 seconds, a red stabber (if I recall, it was flown by Amber Cowell) decloaked and moved closer to our position as well. Both appeared to believe I was headed directly toward the closest EVE Uni structure, Fortunately, I had moved perpendicular to that path in hopes of clearing both bubbles first. My ship speed remained at a agonizing 15M/Sec. Captain Torlek in the red sabre continued circling and a one point passed within 2,400M of my ship, however, my cloak stayed engaged. A few minutes later, both bubbles disappeared, and then both red ships re-cloaked. I remained cloaked and on course for a while longer, and then aligned to the closest EVE Uni structure. With 30 seconds left on my cloak, I dropped cloak, and clicked Dock. Both Red ships immediately appeared, and collapsed on my position, but my ship attained warp just in time. Captain Torlek warped to the same station, but my luck held, and the tether connected before he could get a lock on me.

Lessons Learned: Always assume there are spies in our Intel channels.
Train up Clocking skills, better cloaking devices are REALLY helpful.
Don’t panic, with a little luck, you can sometimes get yourself out of a tight spot.
When in doubt, try it in a shuttle first.
The PC9-AY pocket is just as dangerous as any other part of Null Sec.

Submitted by: Dr Ray Leopold
Bosdos

Re: Welcome to PC9-AY

Post by Bosdos »

This is like Star Wars novel. Way better to read than typical AAR just listing efficiency and Delta kill reports. Awesome write up!