[AAR] Intro to Fleets Roam

Forum for posting After Action Reports after PVP encounters.
Forum rules
This forum can be viewed publicly.
Rathe Gardson

[AAR] Intro to Fleets Roam

Post by Rathe Gardson »

AAR for [CLASS] Intro to Fleets roam [link to Scheduled Classes: https://forum.eveuniversity.org/viewtop ... 2&t=127534].

This was a practical class to introduce new players / those new to fleets to fleet operations, focusing on communications, fleet commands and SOP, and use of the various fleet windows. A micro-fleet roam followed where we practiced fleet commands/ops by traveling and taking down two NPC [PIRATE] Refuges and two Dens in HiSec during the two hours of the roam. A secondary intent of the class was to overcome new player trepidation over joining E-Uni fleet activities. This being a chance to "dip toes into the waters" so to speak.

NOTE: The US changed from Daylight Savings Time to Daylight Standard Time this weekend, so the class/fleet advertisement on the in-game calendar was early by one hour. Luckily, I was early and caught people arriving for the class. I ran the class both as posted on the calendar and again an hour later as described in the Scheduled Classes forum. The time change is something instructors should think about when scheduling classes. Worked out today.

I had five or six students in the first hour and two the second hour. Unfortunately due to the rush to maximize flight time during the first hour, I did not activate the Fleet Activity Tracker. The students were engaged, asking questions, and the class seemed well received. One student was returning after a seven (7) year absence. This was the fourth (4th) day of playing for another student. We also answered questions about how systems worked generally, keystroke short-cuts, and some mechanics questions. I think ways / how to use the fleet window (broadcasts, targeting, selecting, warping, etc.) probably had the most questions.

Self-critique: I learned a lot by giving this class, including the mechanics of ship issue, the fleet windows, and actions ordering / controlling the fleet. Doing this in the framework of a micro-fleet (less than 10 members) allowed me to focus on the systems and the students without seriously exceeding my effective span of control. Doubling as fleet logi while FC'ing, I could remote repair (shields & armor) students before they got into trouble. Doing this in an hour is tight. Ninety (90) minutes would be easier. I'll have to consider how that might affect participation as requiring a longer time commitment from the students. I asked students to complete either class or fleet feedback form linked at the end of the Fleet MOTD in the Fleet Chat Window. I don't know how many have actually done it. I'm afraid that I don't know how to check either.

What is the chance of having an experienced FC/Instructor tag along on a later iteration of this practical class and be available to provide me feedback?

Rathe Gardson
Stacmon - The Quad