[AAR] - Teran's Syndicate/Pochven Roam - 08/07/23

Forum for posting After Action Reports after PVP encounters.
Forum rules
This forum can be viewed publicly.
Teran Feynoir

[AAR] - Teran's Syndicate/Pochven Roam - 08/07/23

Post by Teran Feynoir »

Roam members (10)
Spoiler
Ashtagnaert Anzer Rotineque - Enyo
Helios Devecturus - Enyo
Iis Foolio - Malediction
Karvus P - Federation Navy Comet
Menelmir - Imperial Navy Slicer
Miyaki-Skye - Inquisitor
Nikita Luciano - Enyo
Shaemus O'Conor - Republic Fleet Firetail
Teran Feynoir - Enyo
Verbea Koskanaiken - Inquisitor
Timeline

We first roamed through Syndicate from PC9, encountering nothing but a lone Heron and docked pilots, so we decided to yeet into Pochven in the hope to get some more fights.

It was expected, I wanted to try a fleet in this TZ that I know being quieter than EUTZ evenings in the hope to catch players that have less opportunities joining fleet. For the next one, I'll try to pivot faster if I see no sign of activities before the fleet in order to avoid a too long roam catching space dirt.

(14:27:35) Sakenta

After already one hour in space we finally caught the tail of something to blow up, a Thrasher. It was not a juicy kill, but it was a kill, so after it slip through our hands at a gate in Arvasaras I ordered the fleet to burn back to Sakenta to catch-it it on the in-gate.

It was a long shot, the Thrasher had all the time in the world to warp off but we did caught it:

Thrasher +4.25m
Capsule +0.01m

Now, it where it get spicy and I'm still not sure on what was the best call to make.

A few seconds after we destroy the capsule of the Thrasher pilot, as we were looting, a Heretic jumped through the gate from Arvasaras and bubbled us.

There's a few things to say already:
  • I made a mistake after securing the kill, I should have asked everyone to align somewhere and not to re-approach the gate.
  • We spend too much time between this two systems (one pass to go south, back north to avoid the gate camp and back south to catch the Thrasher) I should have kept in mind that we were not in Null anymore and that there's cloacky eyes everywhere and that we were likewise on the radar of some local SIG/Group.
  • Was that Thrasher a bait ? It was my hot take since it should have been able to avoid us altogether. Now seeing the fit and the history of the toon, I think it was someone alt in Pochven to get some standings. Not impossible tho that it was the alt of someone in the fleet that poached us directly after, so maybe a bait of opportunity.
So, I called primary on the Heretic and brace myself waiting for the rest of the fleet to drop on us. When I saw their numbers I knew it was done for but was still hoping to at least bring down the bubbler to even a bit the score and finally called the fleet to scatter too late. Only one of our DD saved their ship.

Republic Fleet Firetail -16.13m
Inquisitor -10.92m
Federation Navy Comet -21.28m
Imperial Navy Slicer -18.7m
Inquisitor -11.04m
Malediction -54.18m
Enyo -37.66m
Enyo -39.35m
Enyo -37.65m
Capsule -0.01m
Capsule -0.01m
Capsule -0.01m
Capsule -0.01m
Capsule -0.01m
Capsule -0.01m
Capsule -0.01m

I'm dubitative on what call I should have make, obviously the safest best would have been to call scatter as soon as the bubble went up, now was it the best call ? We were roaming since almost an hour and half without a fight and scattering was not any guarantee to be able to save everyone.

Concretely, we were 7 DD, mostly faction frig', only 2 T1 logi and a mally. On a gate, unaligned with a weapon timer and inside 2 bubbles.
And a few seconds later as I was giving order to target the Heretic we were dropped on by 30-ish AAF, 1 Kiki, 4 GCD, 3 booshers + Logi/EWAR and a prober ^^'

Should have I immediately called everyone to overheat their mwd and burn to a safe ? I'm genuinely not sure it would have changed a lot given the circumstances that's why I called for at least trying to have a kill.

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 4,262,921.67
ISK Lost: 246,970,842.93
ISK Delta: -242,707,921.26
Efficiency: 1.697%

Overall evaluation
  • Chill fleet, we had time to talk about some lesser known mechanics, including Pochven and filaments and the usefulness of getting positive standing with the Trigs.
  • Even if I went through the Newbro speech and some reminders on how the doctrine is supposed to be flown, there was a lot less of true newbro in this fleet that what I'm used too during lowsec roam. It was hard to gauge the level of details needed during the form-up speech but the pilots there proved to know what they were supposed to do and it allowed us for a chill fleet with open comms and being able to advance fluidly. Thanks guys, even if we did not really got any fights, it was cool flying with you.
  • Long form-up, mainly because I had to hand out filaments. I need to think of a quicker options than direct trading people, precise the need for filaments or dropping them in General Hangar might fasten a bit the process, but we'll always have people with no access to the hangar or discovering about the need for filaments on the spot. I think next time I'll simply list them on the market before the fleet so everyone can just grab it by themselves.
  • Syndicate was quiet or rather dead, so the first part of the fleet was really slow paced.
  • We had a decent turn-out, I'm fine having 10 people in fleet, but we were on the low side SP-wise. Only 3 real AAF, everyone else including logi in T1 ships. The doctrine doesn't really work well without Deacons and the faction frig' are more a decent-ish plan B than a prime option. Maybe in those case it would have been better to switch doctrine to something lower SP and lower isk like MER to keep our loss smaller while keeping a fighting chance.
  • After we yeeted into Pochven, the idea was to at least get people some standings with the Trig' so the fleet but we sadly didn't found convenient spawn and stumbled quickly into a gate-camp to big to crash. We had to change directions and since the fleet was going on for a while now, my eagerness to get a fight probably led us to our quick demise.
  • Specifically on the last engagement, even though my mind was understanding the situation as it was happening, dang my fingers are slow. It took me forever to broadcast the target, and even if I was giving orders I was nowhere near being able to handle my own ship and fat fingered most of what I should have done to save myself.
Graduate
ImageImageImage