[AAR] FW GCD Fleet 19 April 2023

Forum for posting After Action Reports after PVP encounters.
Forum rules
This forum can be viewed publicly.
Ying Ti Charen-Teng

[AAR] FW GCD Fleet 19 April 2023

Post by Ying Ti Charen-Teng »

Roam members (7)
Spoiler
Buns A Glazing - Crucifier
Flax Harakeke - Condor, Thrasher
Jay iron - Thrasher
Olov Starseed - Federation Navy Comet, Catalyst
Talianium Benim - Tormentor, Thrasher
Traven O'Toole - Condor - Scout
Ying Ti Charen-Teng - Condor, Thrasher - FC
Since we didn't have bigger ships staged in Stacmon, we left in Condors to go to the war zone, which was convenient as they traveled faster.

Kills and Losses

The path to Heydieles had a few war targets, but they were either too slippery or too big for us to take on. So it was a bit uneventful.

(01:22:30) Heydieles

Upon landing in Heydieles, we found a Sunesis in a medium Adv plex. When we got there, we discovered it was actually a Rupture and a Sunesis, and more enemies were landing too. We decided to go for the Sunesis and managed to kill it before we all died or had to disengage.
Condor -2.48m
Condor -3.4m
Condor -3.91m
Sunesis +19.42m
Crucifier -10.13m

After this engagement, we found the calmil fleet still in the Medium ADV-5 with 3 cruisers, 1 assault frigate, and a few other small ships. So we decided to ship up into a mixed cruiser fleet with 4 cruisers as the core to take them on. But they ran.

So we reshipped into Thrashers and Catalysts and went to Abune to plex. We deftly chained together multiple size-5 plexes so we can get the maximum amount of LP with little time. This allowed us to capture 5 plexes in quick succession and earning 80-140k LP each. After the chain was done, we begin plexing 2 NVY-1s and 1 Open plex.

(02:31:56) Abune

While we were peacefully plexing, a group of pirates dropped in on us with fast kitey ships. They tried to kite us to death but we managed to kill one, and disengage after losing two thrashers. It went a lot better than expected. Still isk positive!
Thrasher -3.22m
Imperial Navy Slicer +17.78m
Thrasher -8.16m

We finished off the Open and the two nvy-1 plexes in Abune afterwards. (+47,400 LP)

(03:01:10) Eranakko

After plexing, we decided to patrol the war zone for kills. We got intel from militia chat that there are enemies in Sujarento and Eranakko. Unfortunately Sujarento was a bit of a dud, but we dropped in on a Small ADV-5 that was about to finish, and three of our guys stayed for the LP. (+28500 LP)

Eranakko had a lot of enemies however. We went in on a 5 ship gang of an ENI, two destroyers and two frigates in a Med ADV-5. I called us to engage knowing it's likely suicide, but thankfully they were skiddish cowards and the two destroyers warped out, leaving us alone with the frigates and ENI. We had a decent brawl, taking down the ENI and a kestrel, but the slasher kited out of weapons range. Then calmil came back piecemeal and fed us another catalyst, before they took the grid again with a navy Caracal.
Kestrel +8.15m
Thrasher -8.23m
Catalyst -4.14m
Thrasher -8.49m
Exequror Navy Issue +78.23m
Catalyst +12.89m
Condor -4.97m

After losing half of the fleet, we went back to Heydieles to reship. We scouted the Battlefield and it was almost done, and was under 30 pilots, so we stayed guarding the neutral rally point and got some quick LP from that as well. But it was a defensive BF so the payout was a lot less than normal (+42,711 LP)

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 136,458,092.95
ISK Lost: 57,148,814.2
ISK Delta: 79,309,278.75
Efficiency: 70.482%

LP Gained: Around 170k to 230k LP per member, probably 200k LP on average.
ISK Value (Assuming 800 ISK per LP): 160,000,000 ISK

Overall evaluation
  • Everyone earned quite a bit of LP in this fleet.
  • The last engagement was very favorable for us, and played to our strengths. We were also very lucky that they were cowards and half of them fled.
  • The GCDs were relatively slow and short ranged, so we were vulnerable to kitey boys.
  • I mistakenly fleet warped or individual warped once or twice tonight. Thankfully it was just during plexing and caused no tactical problems.
Traven O'Toole

Re: [AAR] FW GCD Fleet 19 April 2023

Post by Traven O'Toole »

Another fun FW fleet w/ Ying. While the last one I was on did not have any real issues with fleet command, FC this time was a little more smooth. Reshipping was quick, plex assignments were smooth. Ying dealt with newbro issues with grace, including my bad scouting.

I have not previously run scout, and haven't had an opportunity for Intro to D-Scan so my start was rough - I'd only actually practically used D-Scan defensively to run away from explo sites. Overview was missing Beacons, no D-Scan tab, camera tracking was off, and in general my UI was not very well set up for the scout role. I started off very slow on D-Scan, but by the end was getting a bit more comfortable in the role and more confident in the process of D-Scanning plexes to identify pilot locations.

I have wanted to try scouting, but had been thinking to myself "I should join a couple specific classes first before I actually try it". I am now not going to give myself that excuse and instead just do it.

I survived the pirates dropping in on us, which I think might be the first time I have survived a fleet fight. Almost survived the Eranakko fight, but the Caracal NI ended up dropping in and getting point on me before we had regrouped and recovered. Still, I knew what was going on and that I was going down. Not much I could do at that point, but I wasn't panicked by it. Killmail value is actually inflated by having started battlefield looting, about 2.5 mil of that loss was actually spoils of war.

Personal Lessons
+ Trial by fire scouting practical experience. Greatly improved speed of D-Scan scouting between start and finish, and switch between short+wide scans and long+narrow scans. Still need more practice, but I feel confident enough to practice. Jay picked up D-scan duties for a bit, and listening to Jay and Ying helped me get a better handle on things while reshipping.
- Directly asking for help instead of struggling on my own for a bit would have likely been a lot easier at the start, and better for the fleet.
+ Actually really enjoyed scouting once I didn't feel like as much of a hindrance.
- Need a little more reading up on +1 scout role, and how to effectively place myself for hunting FW plex guests after the initial scans at the in-gate. Unsure if warping to out-of-range plexes is the way, or what. Likely using actual system map view for D-Scan would help this as I can more easily gauge non-plex locations that are within range of other plexes for scanning. At no point did I use the system map during D-Scan, I need to play with layout for this specifically.
+ Figured out and set up D-scan overview tab after the fleet as I realized I needed it. Also corrected missing Beacons in overview and got more comfortable using Overview + Probe scanner window to identify names of individual plexes of the same type.
+ Reworked UI layout into a more practical form. I thought I had a layout that was useful beforehand, and let me tell you I was wrong.
- Identified some skill level issues, and working on a Condor Scout/Tackle fit that maximizes tackle with my current skills. I can currently run T1 launchers but T2 tackle, which put me in an odd place for Ying's provided Condor fits. I have no T2 weapons capabilities, but intend to be able to run at least T2 launchers by the next scheduled FW fleet I'm able to attend. I may seed a few of my own condor fits around the area, I enjoy FW and fully intend to keep flying in fleets in the area when possible.
Orientation Officer
FC Team Officer
Sophomore
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage