[AAR] Medium Shield vs Cerb Fleet

Forum for posting After Action Reports after PVP encounters.
Forum rules
This forum can be viewed publicly.
Sekoton

[AAR] Medium Shield vs Cerb Fleet

Post by Sekoton »

Battle Report: https://fleetcom.space/battlereport/re7LBR7mTW2t77yhM

That was one hell of a fight. Probably my hardest one yet, but probably the one I've learned the most on, too!

To give a brief overview, Elm found a structure that was unanchoring and we decided to go and third party the fight, only engaging after the structure blew up with the intent of stealing loot and getting a fight before extracting with as much loot as possible.

I formed up Medium Shields for this scenario, as we didn't have any indication that anybody was coming to bash the structure since the scout reported no activity in the system up until right before the structure started repairing. We made our way to the destination with a DST in tow, sitting one jump out in high sec to allow them to whittle down the structures HP until the perfect moment for us to strike. Before we could do that however, the initial bashing fleet (Team 2 in the BR) left grid after a fleet of cerbs appeared, who then started bashing the structure instead.

Due to the scouts deployment of various tacs around the grid, I decide to take the fight, with the hopes that we can warp on top of the cerbs and kill off their logi and anchors. Immediately this didn't go to plan, as they left the station and warped to our entry hole, sitting 100km off it as we jumped in. I decided to press on, warping the fleet to a tac, before allowing Bed to take over as anchor while I target call. We then proceed to bounce from tac to tac, trying to find a good opportunity to engage the Cerb fleet. During this first engagement Bed dies and I take over for him as anchor. I make an attempt to burn for their fleet but we could never get closer than 20km, which is too far for the fleet comp we had.

I then saw the initial bashers sitting near one of our tacs. When we warped to engage, we saw that the cerb fleet's logi was trying to repair the damage we were dealing, however we took out a fair few of the initial bashers before bouncing to another tac as the cerbs closed in. This continued for a while more before I made one last attempt to close the distance, again getting to 20 km before we'd stop gaining. At this point I order everybody to disengage, and warp everyone off, while getting caught at the very last second :(

My isk account lately - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlpYAaS2Efc

Things that went well

- Formup was good. Ideally I should've brought an extra scimi or two since we left with an original comp of 4 DNIs and like 6-8 drakes to 4 scimis. I also needed some additional paints and webs to help with the far lower application of the drakes.

- People followed instructions well, especially during the fight, so props to everybody there.

- For my first time anchoring as an FC, I think I handled it fairly well.

- I made sure to broadcast nearly every target call I made.

Things to improve on

- The biggest problem of this engagement was that more and more people were logging in to come assist. I was originally the one dealing with new arrivals but when Bed died I had to quickly call myself as a new anchor and promptly forgot about it. This led to people coming in drakes and DNI's when we really needed more scimitars. In future I need to keep a closer eye on my comp and who's logging on to help, or delegate this.

- When I took over, I tunnel visioned on fighting the scimis and the initial party, and lost site of the bigger picture. This led to me not using the times when we were sitting on tacs effectively, such as checking for newcomers, evaluating whether it's worth continuing to engage.

- Combat comms were once again a big issue on this fleet. Sadly I let the stress get to me part way through and I raised my voice when people broke combat comms. I need to do better at reminding people of who should be talking, but people should also remember that phrases such as "I died" "Hey, what's going on?" "What should I bring?" should 9 times out of 10 be going in fleet chat.

- I probably should've disengaged after the first two rounds with the cerbs, as we hadn't lost too much at that point. Also, I should've brought 1 or 2 more DST's when we initially left too.

All in all, I and I think everybody else had fun, but this fight definetly showed me that I really need to work on my delegation and management of the fleet, as well as the fight itself.
Omio Okanata

Re: [AAR] Medium Shield vs Cerb Fleet

Post by Omio Okanata »

This engagement was no doubt the best in my entire time in eve!! Well done Bed and Sekoton. We all are part of the community so everyone’s action will affect another, so please think before you, ESPECIALLY, speak in mumble. We are not a child anymore, no need to be reminded constantly.

Long live WHC ❤️
BedDaBaws

Post by BedDaBaws »

Was a fun engagement, Im stills very sad that I got pointed by that random interceptor right as half the fleet warped off ):
In the future, I think that we need to approach this type of fight differently, either by getting ontop of the repeatedly with bookmark barfing, using a combat prober, or having a recon ship/loki that can long scram or long web to hold them down.
Yto Itinen

Post by Yto Itinen »

Props to Bed and Sekoton for taking the fight, a lot of easily fixable mistakes increased the load on the FCs.
I'm also trying to add a perspective as the Logi commander:

The initial formup started with 3 Scimis and ended up with 4 and newcomers increased the imbalance of numbers heavily in favor of DD.
Before the fight we moved to a Logi voice sub-channel and had the Scimis not accept fleet warps, hoping we could use our speed and warps to keep kiting.
We struggled at the beginning, the tac situation was not great, they had combat probers and much more light support, so when the first Scimi died, we accepted fleet warps again and took on the risk of landing with the fleet at zero.
In terms of reps, we couldn't sustain the prolonged fight, especially when we had to rep the third logi, but this fight had good utilization of Warriors to drive away both hostile griffins and light tackle.
We had no armor bots to mend the bleeding damage, so we took the last brawl with the Drekavac with 2 Scimis, one of which had no armor buffer left.

In general, we did well:

1)Target broadcasting and reps broadcasting were good.

2)Brock did a great job screening enemy tackle and saving one of the Scimis.

3)Fleet numbers spiked up, it's always nice to know we can count on this many people! We left with 19 total, counting cloaky alts and support, and ended with 19 DD Drakes!

To improve:

1)Comms were already crowded and we had a separate sub-channel for logi, so that's already two voices overlapping for Scimi pilots. Newcomers not only did not uphold the etiquette of waiting to hear if there is combat going on, but kept talking over FC. There is an argument to be made for switching voice comms, but at the same time fleet chat was there and its purpose as a secondary channel for people to ask questions needs to be utilized.

2)We decided to take an engagement while sorely lacking support: of two ceptors, one had radio silence all time. We had one armor bubbler and no combat prober. Structure fighting is based on good and efficient combat probing, especially as we had impromptu tacs laid around casually and named weirdly. One can argue for more control options for the doctrine, but advanced support is not gonna solve basic issues with setting up fleet. For next time, combo a prober "punting" bubblers/ceptors and see the difference it will make.

3)In general, while doing maneuver fights with battlecruisers, skirmish links will help a lot, both reducing your align time, giving you speed and increasing range of your tackle. In the absence of those, try less maneuvers and give people time to react. Don't do 30 AU warps, utilize perches on grid to stabilize the fleet. Getting caught when initiating a long warp is a death sentence, be in a place clear of hostiles when you do so!

All in all, it was a really intense experience, hope we get more fights like this!
Fly fun!
ImageImage
ImageImage

Kithian Hastos

Post by Kithian Hastos »

I enjoyed the fleet and appreciate the complexity involved!

I do also think there is a case for using separate comms for roaming fleets. The WHC channel is really best used in and around Innu IMHO.

Switching to a different channel for fleets could help with that new arrival clutter. It could also serve as a physical and psychological reminder: "Oh I have to switch to a fleet channel. I better observe fleet etiquette."

Just like we switch to the PVP wing in game to make fleet warps that little but easier, switching to a different channel could make communicating that little bit better.