[AAR] Merlin T-pose Dominance (21/03/21)

Forum for posting After Action Reports after PVP encounters.
Forum rules
This forum can be viewed publicly.
Sainaras Aishai

[AAR] Merlin T-pose Dominance (21/03/21)

Post by Sainaras Aishai »

Fleet formed up at The Flying Dutchman in Eugales at 18:00 EVE time, we had 3-4 newbros and with us and about 29-30 people in total.
We went ahead with the newbro speech, which I felt I rushed a little bit or maybe tripped over my words some, but reportedly the speech was clear and effective, so that's a win in my book!

After a couple of broadcast/align/hold tests we went underway towards Kinakka, where I made a routing mistake that made us skip a pair of systems (I originally intended for us to check Iralaja and Raihbaka) and had us crash the gate we came in from, doubling back on a system we knew didn't have any content. Mistake noted, easily fixed, won't happen again.

The next waypoint was Kedama, and on the way we got our first kills! Around this point I commited my first mistake, it did not cause any losses but it could potentially put us in danger: I'm pretty sure I started losing track of my scouts, which is a big no no. The scouts would call a gate clear and I was never sure if they cleared the gate for the system we were in, or the successive one; rather than comminicating with my scouts better I just guessed and hope for the best, (Again, big no no.) which made us jump into systems wayy too early, spoiling the surprise effect we so heavily rely upon.
In my mind the solution is simple: just keep my ego in check and realize that fleet cohesion is much much more important than trying to not look lost and just ask again which system or which gate my scouts are at. Communication. Is. Vital.

Anyway, soon enough we got our first major kill! woo! 200m Phantasm!!!
Now comes the Big One: Tama. I knew going in that it was gonna be challenging, that we were gonna have to move quick and stay on the move as much as possible. And try not to freeze; a bad call is better than no call at all!
I feel like I did a fairly decent job at keeping us on the move, but perhaps I played a little bit too defensively at first, at the cost of some content. Here is another learning point: to keep us moving I used safes I had, but the fleetwarps to the safe locations were fairly sloppy, Some people were left behind, which in a couple of cases got them killed.
We regrouped the fleet in SPACE DETROIT to get some repairs and here I decided to shift gear and start to more actively look for a fight, Unfortunately the only ones who seemed interested in fighting were a multitude of fast, kity ships that would attempt to pick us off one by one. Here be a major mistake: I asked the fleet if we coud try to catch one of those fast, kity ships, ( I only realized at after the third fight that we could not hope to catch them) the fleet complied, but I allowed some members to run too far, too fast, which made them get out of range of the logi and get easily picked off. The fault on this one is on me, because as FC it is my responsibility to keep an eye on fleet positioning and it is my responsibility to call back any who stray too far from the group. This is a big one that I definitely have to improve on next time.

I do want to specifically thank the scouts in this instance: in the chaos that is Tama, I felt overwhelmed in just about every possible way, but I always had rock solid scouts to rely upon and that kept us going the whole way trough (Thanks Sparklez!)

It was then time to move on from Valhalla since we could not find a good fight, we hit a couple more systems and got some really juicy kills ( What's up with that Typhoon fit? :D :D :D ) then turned around and headed for home.
We did find more content on the way back and crossed paths multiple times with a bigger fleet that we could not hope to engage. One burst was unfortunately caught when we had to crash a gate (RIP Arkady)

Roam members (31)
Spoiler
Albedo183 - Merlin
Arkady Marten - Burst
Arkaihnen - Merlin
B'aldrick Aivoras - Merlin
Ben Lear - Merlin
Clemence DeGrace - Burst
Droidekas - Merlin
Erean - Merlin
Farthinder - Merlin
Gaelys Aarmenvar - Burst
Gideon Mastracci - Merlin, Thrasher, Stiletto
Gouts Pain - Merlin
GreyWolfNova - Merlin
Hikaru Sakai - Burst
Io Dadunur - Slasher
Marcel Eriker - Harpy, Merlin
Mark Ongard
Michael Tempest - Burst
Mike Kingswell - Slasher, Retribution, Thrasher
Nessie Black
Noohya Izia - Merlin
Pitheas Attikos - Merlin
Promitheas Pyroforos - Merlin
RLoagan - Merlin
Sainaras Aishai - Merlin
Sean Yakin - Merlin
Simfun - Merlin
Sparklez Ripper - Slasher
Titus Roderick - Merlin
Tricky Tessmira - Merlin
Viktor Hochberg - Merlin
Kills and Losses

(18:45:41) Aivonen, Nennamaila, Kedama
Condor +10.1m
Capsule +0.01m
Slasher -5.04m
Worm +154.6m
Capsule -39.41m

(19:03:18) Hikkoken, Hirri
Merlin -5.87m
Slasher -7.29m
Caldari Navy Hookbill +28.1m
Merlin -9.7m
Phantasm +199.74m

(19:18:12) Tama
Slasher -5m
Catalyst +22.85m
Merlin -9.7m

(19:25:29) Tama, Jita, Sujarento, Kedama, Teimo, Hirri, Pynekastoh, Akidagi
Slasher -7.5m
Slasher -6.72m
Daredevil +91.52m
Merlin -9.62m
Thrasher -4.97m
Capsule -0.01m
Thrasher -4.97m
Cormorant +4.61m
Merlin -9.69m
Harpy -44.62m
Merlin -9.46m
Merlin -9.73m
Capsule -0.01m
Capsule -0.01m
Stiletto -48.33m
Typhoon +301.79m
Dramiel +43.46m
Capsule +0.01m
Capsule -0.01m
Slasher -5m
Capsule -0.01m
Slasher -6.79m
Wolf +85.7m
Burst -7.69m
Capsule -0.01m
Stiletto -48.33m
Ferox +102.18m
Merlin -59.43m

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 1,044,678,671.91
ISK Lost: 364,926,883.05
ISK Delta: 679,751,788.86
Efficiency: 74.111%

Overall evaluation
  • (Positive stuff)
    Good newbro speech
    Clear commands, no confusion even for new fleet members
    Fleet moved fast and efficiently system through system
    Fleet was mobile in system, thus fairly safe
    No major freezing, kept talking to the fleet
    Content was provided
    Fun was had
    Isk positive

(Negative stuff)
    I felt like I was panicking almost the whole way through
    Lost track of scouts
    Sloppy fleet waping to safe spots
    Poor on-grid fleet positioning management
    Routing mistakes
    Not enough memes
I'd love to recieve feedback, comments and considerations on this AAR! Pointing out the mistakes I made makes this write up sound fairly negative, but overall I'm extremely happy with the result, I'm just trying to clearly outline mistakes and take responsibility to learn from this experience as much as possible. Hope to see you in the next one!
Mike Kingswell
Teaching Manager
Teaching Manager

Re: [AAR] Merlin T-pose Dominance (21/03/21)

Post by Mike Kingswell »

Already gave you my feedback so wont type it all out now.
Nice fleet, much fun and GREAT first time FCing!
10/10 would fly again!
Teaching Manager
Image Image Image Image
Sainaras Aishai

Mike Kingswell wrote: 2021.04.01 22:18 Already gave you my feedback so wont type it all out now.
Nice fleet, much fun and GREAT first time FCing!
10/10 would fly again!
Thanks Mike! I very much appreciate it :) looking forward to flying with you again soon!
Sean Yakin

Post by Sean Yakin »

I will fly with you anywhere, anytime, my friend. It was a great fleet. Hang in there.
ImageImageImage
Sainaras Aishai

Sean Yakin wrote: 2021.04.02 07:03 I will fly with you anywhere, anytime, my friend. It was a great fleet. Hang in there.
It's an honor Sean, fly dangerous 8)
Farthinder

Post by Farthinder »

I had a great time during this fleet and would never have guessed it was your first time FCing - you did really well! I agree with everyone on the things you accomplished.

If I'm to mention one thing that could have been made clearer during the op, it would have been the tactics when warping to a plex gate. Often there were neutrals at the acceleration gate, and at that time i was a little confused whether we were taking the fight at the gate, or sliding it and fighting inside the site. Also, when coming up against kitey boys i wasn't sure whether we were to give chase or to stay put.

These things are very minor though, and my confusion is probably due to my own lack of experience with these kind of roams :) The main takeaway is that you are an excellent FC and i'm sure will only get better with more experience and i look forward to flying with you in the future!
Ben Lear

Post by Ben Lear »

Fantastic fleet , thoroughly enjoyed it great content and really fun :)

As has already been said , no one would have known it wasn't your 100th fleet not just your 1st.

Really looking forward to your next fleet :D