[AAR] Anniversary Fleet 2021-03-06

Forum for posting After Action Reports after PVP encounters.
Forum rules
This forum can be viewed publicly.
Tomcat Evergreen

[AAR] Anniversary Fleet 2021-03-06

Post by Tomcat Evergreen »

As described in the fleet announcement, EX.U were celebrating their 10th anniversary and wanted to do so by brawling with E-UNI. With just 2 days notice and maybe also because of the mumble problems we had during formup, the fleet undocked with 27 pilots. A bit less than I had hoped for, given that EX.U had planned for 1 Marauder and 5 supporting Battleships.

Round 1:

We traveled to meet them in IIRH without any resistance from any of the 3rd party gangs that were active during that time near NSC. None of them wanted to engage use, even so our brawly cruisers probably could not have caught any of their kiting ships.

When we arrived in IIRH we crossjumped our target fleet and I only saw that they had more pilots than expected, but didn't get a full picture on their composition. We decided to stay on our side and anchor up, with Logi and EWar at range and DD ball near the gate. When they jumped back into us we first tried their Paladin, but didn't do much, since he went into bastion mode right there. We switched to a Hyperion that was close by, but could not break through his active reps. At this point I had forgotten that we had a neuting Arbitrator with us and we may have been able to break the Hyperion under those neut pressures, but it also may have taken too long anyway.

Logi reporrted jams so we switched to the Scorpion, who was still sitting near us on the gate instead of at range, but he managed to deagress and jump the gate. At least he was off the field. A Nightmare was our next target and while we were braking him our Logi got boshed of by a (third party?) Bifrost. Somewhere in that chaos our LogiFC was the first to go down and it took Logi a second to readjust. With Logi either jammed, reorganizing or booshed off, we lost DD ships constantly. By the time the Nightmare went down too few DD were left to break another ship, which I only realized when the Armageddon that we targeted next wouldn't take noticable damage. When I went down (after my 2IC) I called scatter, but only some of the booshed of Logis managed to escape.

The EX.U FC appologized for having too many battleships (including 3 Marauders) for our fleet and offered to ship down for a second round. People were eager to go again, so we reshipped and met them in M2-

Round 2:

We met them at the sun, with us arriving first and positioning in a way that would keep Logi alive a bit longer (I hoped). Being first gave us the advantage that we could pick off an Ashimmu that came in first. Then we tried to go through them as quickly as we could. We still lost ships, as Logi was again getting jammed but the Blackbird was too far away, so I decided to rely on him not being able to jam all Logi all the the time instead of chasing him. Eventually one of the targets I had picket as secondary had burned away and we ended up chasing him, which led to logi being left behind and soon swarmed by the other part of the hostile fleet.

When the Harbinger I had chased finally went down, only 3 DD ships were left on this side of the battlefield and everyone who was cought on the other side was destroyed. I once again called to scatter, but 2 of the remaining 3 ships got caught by a third party on their way home.

Numbers:
Battlereport (The br tool resets UF as being Team B, but they belong into Team C.)
Lost: 29 ships, 1.32b ISK
Destroyed: 16 ships, 2.29b ISK
Efficiency: 65.2%

Thoughts:
Originally I had planed to have that fight in PC9, which would have given us more control over the battlefield and easier reshipping. We changed plan and went out to meet them, but I failed to adjust our composition to include anti-tackle support ships.

With just one Marauder expected I prioritized Ewar to fly Crucifiers and planed to use them to reduce incoming damage from that ship. Further EWar would have been Mauluses to protect Logi, but we only had 2 Ewar pilots, so we ended up with no Maulus. In hindsight, having Mauluses might have been better, they may have been able to counter Scorpions/Blackbirds to keep Logi working.

Support ships in general were a bit neglected by me. While we had a neuting ship and Ewar, they were left to their own and the little guidance I may have given them beforehand was not applicable to the situation we ended up in.

Aftermath:
The EX.U guys were very happy that we gave them those fights, but felt sorry about how they overshipped us. I got money from them to replace our ships, which I distributed to all fleet members this morning.
On behalf of EX.U I want to thank everyone who joined me in fighting them. I hope you had fun getting blown up :)
Ben Lear

Re: [AAR] Anniversary Fleet 2021-03-06

Post by Ben Lear »

Many thanks Tomcat for organising this fleet , FCing it and particularly for waiting for those of us who were on the LSC Noobs on Patrol fleet to arrive so we could reship and join in.

I got to play in a T1 Maller for the 1st time and it was fun and even got on a few kill mails before going down in a ball of flame, twice ... :roll:

Happy Anniversary EX.U , what a great gesture to give us the the reship money back, they are definitely blue in my eyes now :D
Magic Anninen
Title: NSC Officer, Graduate

Post by Magic Anninen »

Hi Tomcat,

i was part of the fleet for both rounds and enjoyed it, despite beeing wiped off the field pretty quickly.
You did a great job on organizing this at such short notice.

I found it supoptimal to anchor up and then end up beeing 8-10km off the target having a falloff of 8km (Hail M).
I would argue that brawling stuff don't need an anchor, any thoughts?

Hope we can take out this brawly stuff a bit more!

cheers
Magic
Tomcat Evergreen

Post by Tomcat Evergreen »

I guess you are right Magic, brawlers should probably orbit the target at their own optimal.