[AAR] OP success? I think yes!

Forum for posting After Action Reports after PVP encounters.
Forum rules
This forum can be viewed publicly.
Sekoton

[AAR] OP success? I think yes!

Post by Sekoton »

So, I figured I'd write a quick AAR after being suggested to do so by a few fellow fleet members and since it was my first time FCing, so here goes! :D
Spoiler
We had a couple of people in comms doing their thing, while I'm helping scan down some wormholes with Sparklez. Torg informs me that he finds a Gnosis on D-scan in 2E1, which soon evolves into 4 Drekavacs and the Gnosis, who start doing the new Gala sites. As we had limited numbers, and pinging for an FC would take more time, I decide to form up our LA (Light Armor) doctrine, since I've been planning on starting FCing sometimes in WHC for a few days now anyway. Jynn showed up a few seconds later and encouraged me to proceed with FCing. While I'm semi-scrambling to organise the fleet, Jynn kindly puts out the ping and more members slowly trickle in.

After some slight mishaps with scouts being decloaked, I give the order to undock, as I decide I have enough people to take out the Dreks and Gnosis. We jump into 2E1 and then warp to the Gala site, and summarily kill 3 Dreks, as the Gnosis was on the 2E1 wormhole and jumped through into the hisec system when we locked him up, and one Drekevac warped off when we jumped into 2E1. We then have to deal with the site and in a slight panic I make the call to warp everybody off grid, abandoning a Brutix and Aug (Sorry Drak & Assier!) and we thus head home and stand down.

I learned a heck of a lot from this, and we came out isk positive, so while I lost us an Aug and Brutix, I think it was worth it for the lessons I learned, which I'll detail below.

The good:
-Formup was pretty quick, we were undocked around 5 minutes from the ping being sent out.
-I kept my cool for the most part, and I feel I was clear and concise in my instructions for the rest of the fleet.
-I believe I handled the actual combat well, giving a clear primary and secondary for people to shoot at. I also informed everybody to spread their scrams over the remaining Dreks just in case they lost scram from the NPCs.

Things to Improve:
-Before we left, I forgot to remind everybody of their watchlists. While I don't think it was a *big* deal on this fleet, it's still something I'll need to keep in mind for future, as it could be bad if people haven't added our warp in or FC etc. to their watchlists or forgot to, like I sometimes do.

-When we jumped into 2E1, we found the Gnosis sitting on the hole. After hearing the call of a Drek warping off, I wrongly assumed that the rest would follow suit and diverted my attention to the Gnosis, who jumped into the hisec before we could do anything. This cost us valuable time that I could've used getting people on grid with the remaining Dreks. I should've focused on the Dreks and ignored the Gnosis as soon as I saw him sitting on the hole.

-The biggest mistake I made was warping the fleet off grid and abandoning the Brutix and Aug. With the 7 DD and 3 Logi we had, we could have easily finished the site off and brung everybody back. I was just caught in a momentary panic as I felt we were exposed and proned to being attacked as well in the site, but I should've instead utilised the scouts I had available at that time to watch adjacent holes in the system so we could have advanced warning if something should've came to fight us.

In conclusion, we killed 3 Drekavacs and came out isk positive, so I think it went fairly well. I just need to be more calm and utilise the assets I have available to me, work on my organisational skills of forming up fleets before departing, and recognising what the best course of action is, if the situation changes.

Just wanna say thank you to everybody who came on the fleet and offered constructive feedback during the impromptu debrief, and thanks to anybody who leaves their own 2 cents here :)
Frood Frooster
Retired Director
Retired Director
Title: Honorary Member, Director Emeritus, [LTI]

Re: [AAR] OP success? I think yes!

Post by Frood Frooster »

Sekoton wrote: -The biggest mistake I made was warping the fleet off grid and abandoning the Brutix and Aug. With the 7 DD and 3 Logi we had, we could have easily finished the site off and brung everybody back. I was just caught in a momentary panic as I felt we were exposed and proned to being attacked as well in the site, but I should've instead utilised the scouts I had available at that time to watch adjacent holes in the system so we could have advanced warning if something should've came to fight us.
I still think that this was not a "mistake". It was your judgement call as FC and your judgement that we were sitting ducks was sound and fair in my opinion. I personally would have made a different call but then staying there killing rats could have lead to the whole fleet getting lost. In the end you were the FC, it was your call to make and you made it. We will never know what might have happened had we stayed. Good fleet, good FC'ing, will fly for you anytime again :)
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage