[WHC] It's better to be lucky, *then* good

Troven Smalvard
Title: Assistant Manager (Orientation), Gate is Primary, Point on Primary, Graduate, Management

[WHC] It's better to be lucky, *then* good

Post by Troven Smalvard »

Highlight points coloured
really TLDR in post 2

Disclaimer : this should have been much more of a simple gank than it was,
I was over tired after a stressful week back at work and while EVE is my destress, i nearly cost us the kms with my poor (read completely wrong) interpretation of intel on the form up :oops:
as the title says though, when we were committed an on grid i think things went well

---

This not a major AAR but more an info dump, there were a couple of things going on during the fight that more than one person asked about different things and mechanics, and if one person hasn't seen something and is brave enough to speak up and ask in comms on debrief it def means there will be others wondering in silence, so just a deposit of nuances that occured

not everything will be new to all for sure, but we have a lot of new joiners recently again, which is awsome and we needed everyone of you last night! so this is more for you upto speed with somethings i take for granted from both scouts and engaements

If other people have anything to add please do and i'll edit them up into first post.

---

Willuw was scouting a wandering chain, specifically a C5 that had some on off activity and log on/offs - weekend more often than not brings us extra content and so he kept eyes on system for a long time to see what going on

Finally, he gets a break and when jumps back in his target system see's a Revelation on D and lots of wrecks - BINGO!

* Troven mistake number one... - Willuw intel is clear, Revalation mid site and given system designation.... My brain for some reason interprets a Rev as a Paladin Marauder (T2 Battleship) and while often very shiny are certainly not dreadnaughts the target actually is

ConsequenceThis leads to me thinking a much smaller target than actual, and while can tank lots and pump out dps will have a lot less cap life and we should be fine with the 6- pilots in fleet for easy kill and profit so i call Light Armour (T1 BCs and 2 T1 logi)

Troven Mistake number 2... - even though i can see system in mapper, i for some reason think its a C4 (as thats what i've been camping myself off a nother branch of the chain) C4 also fits better with a Paladin (however C4 sites meh isk per hour should have triggered more thought)

Consequence - in the end we got lucky in that system did not have any effects i was unaware of but could have been, although bringing armour against armour / shield v shield will normally be intrinsiclly safe

--

Problem 1 while target has MTU out suggesting he is set up and comfortable bearing, but checking around system he is at a new unknown signature since willuw last in and therefore we can't get a warp in

Troven Mistake number 3... still believing target to be BS sized, i'm asking Willuw to get a much more tight d scan location than turns out is needed is need (see mistake 4) to get a hit on the site, also as Maruders have much shorter bastion timer than caps siege - coupled with ability to fit MJD the easy get out of jail card if you have eyes out and paying attention

So i ask willuw to scan sig and get on grid to give warp in (and possible unbeknownst suicide tackle :P ) before we move to stage next to his hole.

With all this extra time but actually pretty soon after entering system target ends up docking, site despawns before get a hit and he collects MTU with a frig....

Stand down, as he poss saw willuw jump in given thisk ind of behaviour :(

but what ho, not ling later, - "check check Rev undocked again" HYPE-HYPE

Since he seems not to know Willuw is there and where he came from this time i get us formed 1 jump out before asking for the scan this time (again he is in an anom not a green site)

Troven Mistake number 4... i know Willuw is in his favourite hull a Stratios so i make assumption he only has core probe scanner fit and not a expanded with combats, i didn't even ask , never assume...

We get 2 dictor alts Oh' leader multi boxing and my alt my plan to send one to the target and one to bubble structure we know he undocked from incase he slips away

one i realise willuw has combats things change for the better, we can go straight to him and not have to worry he's sitting at range and see's probes etc as should be able to one shot a Battle ship with a tight dscan. (YES - i still think its a battle ship at this point :shock: )

--

Combat scanning basics, hints and tips for scouts
1. Willuw already dropped hi probes off D so not to be seen then
2. warps back on d with target to narrow him down 5degrees and 0.1 AU to be sure (my request)
Troven Mistake number 5... had i been alive and realised were after cap tartget this point much more lax, can hit a barn door with a blunder bus and get a hit on a Cap sized sig in a bonused scanning ship by sneezing
3. You can move you probes in probe window over your target nice and accurately and as long as you don't hit scan they won't move and will stay where they are
4. now aquired warps cloaked to our in-hole
5. be in a squad/wind/fleet position so you can "punt the tackle" i'e when you have your sig you can right click and warp squad to 0,10,20 etc
6. often over looked exempt yourself from fleet warp! this was you your self will not warp when you do the squad warp.
This has 2 effects, most important, you allow tackle to go at full warp speed, really imprtant with hyperspatial sabres :heart: other wise if you initiate warp in squad, even if you cancel warp immediately everyone in squad will warp at slowest ship speed - in this case slow cruiser which reduces effective time for dictor pilot to get the vita tackle
Second and less so important - but very nice - once sabre initiates warp you can either move to the DD squad command and do same again to send them to target - this speeds up the back up as they don't have to wait for initial tackle to land to be a warp in and so cavalry arrives sooner
7. Dictors jump in and hold cloak, with mine also exempt waiting to go to fort,

8. scout hits scan and punts! GG, profit

unfortunately ...

as we just initate step 7 and load grid in target system, i know somthing is up, i can see rev on D - he shouldn't be (reason willuw had to warp to the in hole is that he was off d from there)
quick dscan shows him back on fortizar.
is the plot up again, at this poiny our BC fleet is on the other side of the in hole, you can miss us, has he got eyes but wasn't worried about "just a stratios"?

dictors hold jump cloak as long as possible hoping he will dock before we decloak and won't see we are in, no such luck timer runs out but we both burn off hole and cloak

O, shit, wait, thats a dread icon, what happend to the Paladin?!?!?!?! :pickachu face:
pretty sure while we were sat before getting in someone said dread again and i still said, nah, unfortunatly not

Target Mistake number 1 this guy hasn't locked own system, hasn't crit holes, 50/50 doesn't have eyes... lets give him 5 min and see what he does, so we sit on the hole

Troven Mistake number 7?... as i thought we are facing diff target, we prob need at least one more Logi, and we don't have much neuts power, not for injected 3200's anyway

while i realise i'm a dunce and think do we have enough, time/mass to get some bigger toys, decision is made, ... REV undocks %3 and initiates warp...

ok were taking it as is incase we don't get another chance, and pressure is always good makes for fun times, a walk over is never as good as working for it :D

we wait for him to settle... he goes back same site??? maybe he forgot stront/boosters/ipod before :shrugs:

ok, decloak punt, main fleet in hold cloak, dictor to structure, punt 2 go....

dictor unfortunately gets locked by rats before can cloak and dies before can burn off, but gets a dying bubble up, we are go now.

main dps tackles, high damage ammo ( at least i did tell people to bring extra in case the spooky paladin have bling tank) get your orbits up

want to be just in side optimal for max damage, but as far away as possible to avoid grappler, Harbingers nice out there safer, brutix's more in danger.
ABs off save cap unless you get targeted

he starts smart bombing straight away, so keep drones in, and i like this as he's using more cap

Subtle Troven Mistake number 8... as i had been thinking C4 it didn't even factor into thinking about drifetr and cap escalation spawn, very lucky final rats are dead by the time we get on grid, that extra pressure if it came on us would have been fatal had it been

He gets onto logi early and Nicholas and Zako do a sterling job managing heat on reps and ABs to keep up, (pretty sure overheated logi bots too!)

Somthing goodonce we are set up and my main moving, i then warp my dictor from fight at range and align back to fort buring off
1. this gives some temporary close by ping point people can warp off and back quickly of taking too much damage
2. Send scout back cloaked to keep an eye out for new log ons and QRF undock

we do start bleeding ships, a harbinger and an brutix go down but they take a while
This actually works in our favour - Erwyn, immediately reships into a 3rd Logi bro and Eir gabs some nuets.
Speed of this really keeps the fight alive, with 3rd logi we stabalise and he is tanking us at the min no problem so any neut pressure will speed up advantage befoeew QRF reaction

Often overlooked and real nice point once logi Stabilises with 3rd on grid, Zako gets them using 2 reppers on fleet while repairing heat damage on 3rd, this is really good thinking especially under the pressure they have been under and again will give us some bonus if we do get a fleet fight

While logi was awsome, there were still multiple people with really late broacasts, remember armour reps land at the end of the cycle you have to give the boys and girls a chance, and we were really underbuffered for this fight.
Even more so as too many people to fit all watch list + you will always get a delay to damage recieved on watch list, nothing but broadcast will get you reps quicker ( apart from FC privilege of screaming like a girl)

i don't know if above was because i was reinforcing not broadcast smart bomb damage and that murkied the water some?

we are getting stuck into the guy both sides stable now, so its a matter of cap boosters left vs how quick they can form...

_Check check - 1 log on --- Pheonix undocked!

willuw while not getting all the action on grid of the pew is invaluable again, this is why hes placed there (sometimes the life of the scout comes with responsibility not fun- thats why you get the big bucks :D )

i spam uncloak my alt and bubble up.
Troven Multibox Mistake number 1... as been concentrating on grid have forgotton my alt still aligned out :shock: while he is cloaked he is now >300 off
yes the fight is 25-30minutes deep so far so even slowboating.

Important facts + luck again this distance is important, bubbles interfere with wrap landing as long as they are
a. in line with warp path
b. <500km from exit warp point - ahead or behind (stop/drag)
c. are activated before pilot initates warp ( IMPORTANT 2) if they have hit warp, and got the warp drive active, even if they take 90s to land will not be effected by bubble stop
(nuance if they initiate warp when bubble is up, but it dies before they land, as long as still same warp, they will still land at bubble edge even though its no longer there

we get lucky i cloaked as if not i would be more than 500 off an ineffective,

Bob loves a tryer and we get the block on the pheonix and i stop him 350ish off the fight
ideally want him under 150km but out of gun range - so he can't hit us but also can't warp straight to his buddy if he does kill tackle

get him rebubbled and have a few mins back and forth of keeping him locked down without dying, (cloaking the dic warping off etc)

going wellif we don't get the stop again maybe they get away as we were unstable 2 logi one cap so 3 logi one 2 cap ( especially if he thought to bring HAW torps and a pvp fit knowing what we had)

Troven Mistake number 12 maybe... once we got in fight, i didn't ask for more dictor alts, don't know how many we would have had if any, but i didn't ask
we were back on single point of failure of single dictor

late comers are trickle in and we get some more neuts and start breaking the REV

if we can keep the Pheonix tackled :shock: maybe?!?!

Pheonix disappears? i'm confused on 2 screens as think hes 400 away? but its the Rev on second screen

Aren notices he's actually cloaked, try and keep the spot bubbled, but on second moniter i get it just off,

REV bleeding structure and im on bubble reload when Pheonix uncloaks and gets in warp to grid, can even get a scram off the dictor in time to reset him, ( i'd cloaked for reload safety and still has lock delay when 7km off him Probable Troven Mistake number 42...

this is the time now kids, keep on that rev, we get some managed heat on him and get him down
after thought *1 if the Pheonix has moar boosters :ksp: in his fleet hanger to hand over that would have been an astonishing last ditch save when REV < 50% armour
KM suggests Rev did have charges - so we either got him before he had chance to reload / or burnt out his mids when the pressure was on?

Side note - i can't remember who it was but a reshipper / ate comer did an ammo run as well as even though brought extra ammo, brutixes ran out of void!!

by the timing of the kill, and the cap charges every little bit may have helped in this one

REV down, onto the Pheonix,

Thanks BOB :heart: figure ot the pheonix is passive fit :o so now its just a matter of time and holding grid,
Willuw still bravely watching the Forti, no more log ons, its a farm hole so likely will just let it go now especially as we podded out rev pilot
unfortunately took us so long to kill him he didn't get on KM (scout life again)

comes true and Pheonix starts self destruct

Willuw comes to whore and we save him the pod kill which is nice bling too

Loot fairy doesn't really reward the effort we put in but, mucho fun, and hope people got somthing out of it

P.S. the guys who died convo'd willuw afterwards and we're super cool about the loss and for the fight big props to Space Monkeys

P.P.S. i know this is a basic gank for main WH corps who would melt him with drek/leshaks and gaurds in 10% of the time
While had i been more on the ball at the start we would have brought better suited fleet - as luck would have it this was certainly more fun than a quick smash and grab gank, and we maybe don't get the second cap if we melt him

so given SP in campus, and a lot of the campus members been with us less than a month got in the KM this was awsome

P.P.S

thats a nag, a phenoix, and a Rev in the last month(ish) :D
400 million - scouting bonus from my pocket to whomever gets me a warp in on a Moros befor the end of the year that results in a kill to finish the set (on top of loot bonus

You’ll prob get paid out even if we get a brawl and die trying too :)
ImageImage ImageImage
Troven Smalvard
Title: Assistant Manager (Orientation), Gate is Primary, Point on Primary, Graduate, Management

Re: [WHC] It's better to be lucky, *then* good

TLDR

Revelation Died 3.3 Billion
Pheonix Died 4.6 Billion
Nice Pod 1.1 Billion

Awesome tighter fight than it looks on the score board fight from SMA

WHC is recruiting !
ImageImage ImageImage
Jeracho Dorne
Title: Personnel Officer, Mentor, Graduate

Post by Jeracho Dorne »

Was great fun and as always excellent FC from Troven. Thanks Willuw for getting us the content.

Can't reiterate this enough, WHC is on fire right now, great leadership, great doctrines, and nice and active. A really good place for unistas to try out, so don't be affraid to come join us.
Graduate

Retired - Finance Manager - Assistant Diplomacy Manager - Low Sec Campus Manager LSC - Senior Personnel Officer - Solitude Campus Officer - Communication Officer
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Willuw Everquest

Post by Willuw Everquest »

Troven,

Outstanding job; even if we would have whelped - we took a fight instead of spinning our ships in-station … and often times that only happens because someone steps up to FC and puts a simple line into Fleet Chat "X up for …" so...thanks for being that person

On the topic of confusing the Rev for a battleship, I should have caught onto this much earlier as I heard you say multiple times "It's a battleship...it should be easy to get a ping on it w/Combats" or something to that effect. Every time you said it, I thought "Hmmm clearly he is just misspeaking as he knows better that this a dread we are dealing with.." - bad on me for not speaking up...I should have said something instead of just making an assumption...

Thanks for putting your thoughts down; after all it is all about learning and it amazes me how much there is yet to learn on a daily basis.
"I see a massive blob of Blinky-tiny spheres floating around in space on my screen...with 27 windows open everywhere ...and I am trying to feverishly activate the right modules on the right targets that are being called with shaky hands… if I can do that that's 90 % success to me..." Willuw - 3 Aug 2019
Waruiru

Post by Waruiru »

Learning from someone who should have been on his first big killmail, but isn't. Newbro tips follow...

I logged in and heard the fight midway, including the call for more DPS. Super, I can finally use that doctrine Brutix I bought a month ago! I had to buy meta guns for it, as I don't have the skills for T2 yet, but I took care of that a while ago.

Undock, warp to hole. Notice my guns are not loaded, so load them. No ammo?!? Check cargo hold. Lots of ammo, all T2... Return to station, frantically check the market to buy whatever ammo I can get. Get anitmatter, wonder about the range. FC is kinda busy right now, can't ask on voice. Type frantically, another fleet member answers in fleet chat. Undock, warp to hole, warp to another hole warp to fleet, hear FC ordering people to lock the pod, arrive seconds too late to do anything. Silently cry I missed the big kill mail...

1. So, if you you buy ships on contract, take them out for a spin first. Load the guns, check you ammo levels, check all the mods are on, check the rigs are installed, check nanite paste and extra ammo, make sure you can use all the things the ship is supposed to have.

2. Have your doctrine ships in station, with clear names so you can get them in a hurry. Seconds matter. Don't ask if you can fly your special ship, have the right ones ready. The FC has enough to worry about, make the FC life easier.

Sweet work by the rest of the team, well done folks!
Vlo Uhm
Title: Sophomore

Post by Vlo Uhm »

Nice write-up Troven. It didn't come across as very troublesome when we where out there. Did hear you say battleship but I figured it was just a slip of the tongue. :lol:

Good work, getting two caps sized things down is super. :D

Thanks for being FC!
Celine en Chasteaux

Post by Celine en Chasteaux »

Nice read! Good job, all.
Tiramisu Enjoyer
Troven Smalvard

Jeracho Dorne wrote: Can't reiterate this enough, WHC is on fire right now, great leadership, great doctrines, and nice and active. A really good place for unistas to try out, so don't be affraid to come join us.
We say it again and again as well, entry requirements are much easier than used to be for WHC so get in and give it a whirl

Waruiru wrote: Undock, warp to hole. Notice my guns are not loaded, so load them. No ammo?!? Check cargo hold. Lots of ammo, all T2... Return to station, frantically check the market to buy whatever ammo I can get. Get anitmatter, wonder about the range. FC is kinda busy right now, can't ask on voice. Type frantically, another fleet member answers in fleet chat. Undock, warp to hole, warp to another hole warp to fleet, hear FC ordering people to lock the pod, arrive seconds too late to do anything. Silently cry I missed the big kill mail...
Perfect, if things are frantic just throw those questions in fleet chat and Simone will answer you and get you on the way
Sorry you missed out by a fraction - you’ll be extra ready next time :p
Waruiru wrote: 1. So, if you you buy ships on contract, take them out for a spin first. Load the guns, check you ammo levels, check all the mods are on, check the rigs are installed, check nanite paste and extra ammo, make sure you can use all the things the ship is supposed to have.

2. Have your doctrine ships in station, with clear names so you can get them in a hurry. Seconds matter.
These are great points, we are spoilt with having reshipping contracts ..... in my day ....when I were a lad....grumble grumble :)
people should def have a main line go-to ship ready to rock and sat in tested if you are likely to need sp changes from the optimals, then you are not rushed.

You can save ‘your best’ version of meta’d fits in game fitting window during quiet time, and then if you are reshipping from Contract in combat can simulate and “fit ship” it will tell you what you are missing, then “buy all” and hopefully the modules are up there on market.
ImageImage ImageImage
Troven Smalvard

Willuw Everquest wrote:
On the topic of confusing the Rev for a battleship, I should have caught onto this much earlier as I heard you say multiple times "It's a battleship...it should be easy to get a ping on it w/Combats" or something to that effect. Every time you said it, I thought "Hmmm clearly he is just misspeaking as he knows better that this a dread we are dealing with.." - bad on me for not speaking up...I should have said something instead of just making an assumption...

Was nice patience and perseverance to get the targets

Never assume I’m not being dumb :lol: always better to have too much intel than miss something. Can always chop it up to what’s important and what’s not and doesn’t need further updates.

But yes in this case Head was just in another place
Willuw Everquest wrote:
Thanks for putting your thoughts down; after all it is all about learning and it amazes me how much there is yet to learn on a daily basis.
Figured just show what’s going on in my head when we are doing da pews.
So many mistakes and we still got a nice fight and kills
Hopefully shows that no problem for people to take stuff out, one or 2 mistakes are not going to instantly whelp you as long as you keep adjusting
ImageImage ImageImage
Rose Alice

Post by Rose Alice »

You did an amazing job of killing two dreads with only t1 ships. It also seems like a really good write up AAR, plus some really good self-evaluation of the event.
looking at the rev fit, did you break his tank or did he let himself die or neut him out? as it seems he still has 50-something capbooster 3200 in his cargo hold
either way you did an amazing job and you should be proud of yourself acquiring that kill.

it anyone has/d a scanning alt to stick in the wormhole for future content.
Troven Smalvard

We def had cap pressure on him, and was breaking from it, sporadic reps when bleeding structure and loss of smart bombing vs when was easily tanking us earlier in the fight.
In all was a 40-45 min brawl so may just have worn themself down using modules under pressure even if we didn’t get the neuts on from reshipping dps

He does have a charge in the chamber which prob knocks my theory they burnt out the injector and were still able to reload.
Since Pheonix was completely passive I think the cap charges in the Rev were from buddy fleet hanger when he got on grid finally
Fortunately we’d managed to get him ground down enough at that point to finish him off before could recover.
ImageImage ImageImage