[Solo] Kardoon

Falling Snow KumaMoto

[Solo] Kardoon

Post by Falling Snow KumaMoto »

Industry is fun for me, and I have a blast flying logi or ewar on euni fleets. But what about solo PvP?? Esca's Solitude event gives me a great excuse to go find 50 ways to die (on fire)!

6 october starting around 1900

I started my inaugural roam from my home in PC9, and for once I refused to join NSC Standing Fleet. I had moved a bunch of ships to Agaullores (Solitude low-sec), so I got into a rifter (insured) and figured I'd hunt for content along the way, and probably arrive in my (clean) pod ready to make use of the ship shipment.

Rifter "095 SNO Chovy" found a neutral incursus on a gate in Syndicate, but there were 2 unistas in system, one in a Thrasher. I didn't want to muddy my solo entry (or theirs, if relevant), so I declined to chase the guy.

A few jumps later, I saw a Buzzard on d-scan, still in Null. If I wanted to spend my time in a futile pursuit full of heartbreak and hopelessness, I'd try to chat up that gorgeous woman I walk past every day on my way to the subway.

Into low-sec, I found a Vargur and Arazu, same corp, in Faurulle. Juicy targets to be sure, but I joined this competition because I want fights, and it's no fun if I just roflstomp people.

I reached Agaullores, 7 neuts in system, 1 flashy. I warped around setting up a safe and practicing my dscan abilities. I found 6 docked up, and 1 Leshak. It's been my experience that Leshaks track frigates just fine, so I joined the others in hiding like frightened rabbits. I surveyed my stock in Agaullores and selected a Tormentor, Ab Scram Web Beam. I insured it.

In Hare, tormentor "095 SNO Ch1" saw the Leshak again, and again Noped out. In Oruse I saw a Praxis on dscan, the only neut in system, and thought there'd be no way I could break his tank with my dps (maybe 125 unheated). I went to Heluene and saw a neutral Hecate on-grid. After over an hour searching for fights I was game for some insurance fraud, but he jumped through before I broke cloak, and by the time I crashed and jumped back, he was gone.

I spotted a scythe in Vevelonel tethered to a structure, which also had 3 additional players in it. Should I have tried to engage?? We'll never know, since tethered players can't be locked up.

Most systems were empty at this time period. Where was that Praxis?? I just want to see how many of his drones I can kill before he finally blasts the Exoplanets skin off my ship. Sadly, he was gone too. I went to Cadelanne just because it's the surname of a unista I met last year, and found two Prospects. They vanished immediately - they must have cloaked.

I had never been to Boystin solitude campus. After a fruitless 90+ minutes of hunting, I docked, installed a clone and jumped back to pc9, resolving to die repeatedly another day.

Today's lessons: 1) nope out on too much stuff and you get nothing. 2) Sunday evening in this region is quiet.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

8 October starting around 0130

I took slasher "095 SNO Mant" for my hunting trip from PC9 to Agaullores. In 97X I was bubbled by a sabre on the gate to Y9G. I held cloak wondering what to do... I decided to try and crash the gate and escape rather than engage. I escaped easily, he must have been short-range fit because he barely scratched my shields from 10km out. I made some gate tacticals around this part of Syndicate, where I can't lazily rely on the awesome NSC public bookmarks. I managed to slip through to Y9G another way, and made it down to solitude.

I was chased around by a stiletto belonging to a garbage corp full of dirtbags, and refused to play with him, knowing he had at least 4 friends in ridiculous ships in the immediate area.

In Agaullores I chose another tormentor and wandered around the quiet region. Is that Praxis still in Oruse?? Sadly no. In Anckee I found a nereus whose name suggested Cyno fit, but it was tethered to a station and guarded by an Ikitursa. I declined to involve myself in whatever debased plans they had for the evening.

I did see a Tengu, named "Billy Bad Arse" on dscan, belonging to CoreTrigger from Filthy Peasants. Give me some understanding please, with no fights on 6 Oct, and this roam already about an hour with none, I was begging for death. He was at a combat anomaly, so I warped in at range to see what was happening. No more NPCs, he was just finishing. About 60km off, so I started spiraling in, AB on, guns and AAR pre-overheated. I was thinking: imagine how proud Penelore would be if her Manual Piloting 101 student managed to land a scram on a Tengu before being forced to change my name to Falling Giblets?? Glory comes in many forms.

When I got to about 40km, I lost lock, because the Tengu warped out. Aw fffffffoul language. I'm serious, that's what happened. I was Bobsmacked. Sure that I was being tormented for nope-ing out on too many fights, I forlornly took my tormentor back to PC9, tormenting myself at length with dips into side systems to dscan NPC diamond miners.

Today's lessons: 1) take any fight, even against a keepstar at this point. 2) gate tacticals are crucial in nullsec, don't be lazy.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

10 Oct 0130 onwards

Took the same Tormentor from PC9 towards Agaullores. I saw only 1 neutral before I reached lowsec, and he was docked in a station. In Anckee I spotted a Cruor, with three corp-mates in a fortizar. I had never fought a cruor, though I'm personally fascinated by this ship. As such, I knew my lasers had no chance against his cap warfare, and resolved to take the fight immediately. I dscanned him down and got within 1400 km, whereupon he jumped out of the system. I followed rabidly.

He surely knew I was chasing him, because I finally "caught up" with him at the sun in Heluene. I arrived about 30km off and immediately spiraled in. He webbed me from long range (yikes), but I managed to get web+scram applied, sicked my 2 warrior IIs on him, and opened up my pre-heated lasers. I made short work of his shields, but of course he was armor tanked. My heated SAAR kept me repped briefly, until his neut+nos drained my cap to absolute zero. I was toast soon afterwards. I did get into his armor, but his repairs very easily outpaced my dps even while I still had guns.

https://zkillboard.com/kill/79315100/

I had a lovely chat with the guy afterwards. He said he almost had tackle on me in Anckee previously in his cloaked Astero, but I warped off at the last minute (while I was chasing his cruor alt). I didn't see a point during the fight, though under no circumstances was I willing to further offend Bob by warping out. He told me he did point me once I got into low armor, and also told me he burned out his AB during the fight, which is why I kept range with him even without cap. He also told me he had a full set of high-grade Asklepians, and went so far as to share his fit with me.
Spoiler
In my opinion, it would be wrong for me to post it here! You want to know, go fight the same guy. I can't do everything for you, good heavens.
Living in PC9, I did not have a great opinion of Hobos, and I was frankly moved to tears that he didn't decide to drop a Nyx on my tormentor. I made it to Agaullores in my pod and selected something completely different: a tormentor. With the same fit. I insured it, because you never know.

After cruising around, I wound up in Anckee and made a real nuisance of myself. I messed with people who were playing structure games, and dodged a vedmak, a vargur, a redeemer… I saw a stiletto, and hoped I could get a crack at him without those other things.

Stilettos are too fast for my Ab-fit tormentor! He warped in about 80km from me, and I immediately went after him. I couldn’t get into web or scram range, and he was smart enough not to try to get close to apply damage to me. Only my 2 drones on him, not enough to really hurt him physically, though surely he suffered grave emotional trauma from the unprovoked assault. This lasted about 20-30 seconds while I tried to slingshot in or out to either engage or flee. I broke his point once, briefly, but he managed to close and point again before I could warp out.

Then his pals came in a svipul and a pilgrim. This is the Hobo way I have come to know. Snow does not Fall without shaking the pillars of heaven, so I switched targets to the Svipul, got my web and scram applied, got in 1 cycle of heated SAAR (though I don't think the reps actually landed), and gave him a taste of my heated T1 lasers and warrior IIs. It was a good life, but a brief one, and I got a sweet platinum insurance payout.

https://zkillboard.com/kill/79315530/

Killing blow landed by the cowardly Tengu pilot... the plot thickens. I got my empty pod safely back to PC9, finally having cleared out a little bit of my Ship Hangars.

Today's Lessons: 1) not all Hobos are turds. 2) some Hobos are turds. 3) an ab-fit tormentor cannot bump a nereus off tether (who knew?).
ImageImage Image ImageImage
Falling Snow KumaMoto

Re: [Solo] Kardoon

19 October, starting around 0130

I needed to bring a DST up to PC9 for pickup and delivery - should I scout!?! No way, this is a prime excuse for a solo roam. I chose a hull-tanked slasher, AB scram web with a weapon disruptor, autocannons and a neut. I found a slicer in JH-, but he jumped away before I could engage. There was some traffic around the region, but nobody wanted to fight, and I was not looking to engage a Tengu again. I got my DST to PC9, and spent time messing around with all of the new "gifts". There was a kikimora interloper in PC9 that I helped hunt down, but I managed to stay off of the killboard to preserve my solo PvP thread... totally on purpose, yes of course.

I then scouted the DST back towards Stacmon, but was hunted by a Loki / Pilgrim team. Unwilling to engage that composition with a slasher and a Mastodon, I safe-logged the DST to Boredom Tank them. I kept the slasher out, solo roam!

There was a Sons of Bane thrasher hanging around by himself, and I thought, surely that is bait. Let's take the bait. I jumped on him at a gate, got a 6k orbit going, guns+neut+disruptor, scram+web, the works. He wasn't doing much damage to me, and I was slowly burning him down, watching my cap for starvation. After about 30 seconds, a SoB flycatcher jumped through the gate and bubbled us up. I was ok with that, it was bait after all, but I thought the 8 other dudes who warped in to help the thrasher out was possibly overkill. Luckily, my slasher was trashed by the thrasher and flycatcher before those guys could who-- on the killmail. While they played games with my capsule, I tabbed out and started flying my DST down to Stacmon, now that the bad guys were engaged in much more meaningful exploits elsewhere. :D

https://zkillboard.com/kill/79441948/
https://zkillboard.com/kill/79441965/

Once they finally podded me, I fetched a different Slasher, one meant for fleet scouting. I planned to take it to Agaullores to see what Solitude was like tonight. There are always people in Anckee, and this time there were about 40 in local when I arrived. Only a Nyx was on dscan. I continued to Agaullores and fetched myself something totally new: a lovely Tormentor! I insured it, because you never know.

This one was my favorite fit so far: ab/scram/web armor tanked, but with pulse lasers instead of beam. Looking forward to exploding, I cruised Solitude. I skipped the Ninazu in Agaullores, and when I got to Anckee I saw tons of people in system. Nyx, Naglfar, dozens of Nightmares, huginns, falcons, a crane... I was just figuring out if I could try to pick off a scout in the chaos when I noticed local was full of blues! TGRAD was doing something. I didn't want a diplomatic incident, so I left.

In Ratillose I found a non-flashy capsule on a gate, but decided against attacking it. I wanted to explode, yes, but not to gate guns against a stupid capsule. I found a Rapier jumping through a gate Yveve to Elore, and when I crashed and jumped backwards to catch him, I was too late. Probably for the best!

I found a Sabre in Y9G and chased him everywhere. He kept running away, but I was faster. I finally got him to fight me on a gate in JH-, happy day!

This engagement, I was so happy to get a fight, I didn't perform very well. I locked him up and AB to him, without bothering to keep transversal up. I thought he was going to run again. He did not, instead he blasted my shields away in one volley. Fine, I'm armor tanked. I started up my ancil expecting incoming damage (was not disappointed). I got my scram+web on him, guns blazing. He webbed + pointed me back, put bubble out (like I was planning to run!). I continued to make horrible mistakes though. I did NOT put my drones out (bad), and I guess I double-clicked my AB on approach, because I found myself orbiting him at a nice range with my AB off (very bad). As a result, he was able to apply just fine with his artillery on a webbed tormentor. I got my AB back on, but before I could get decent speed up through the web, I was a wreck. GF Hobo Sabre.

https://zkillboard.com/kill/79443228/
Falling Snow KumaMoto

22 October, starting around 0110

Took a T1-fit Corax out through Syndicate and Solitude to get into some excitement. I saw a Rapier in PVH8, decided against it! I got hunted by Sons of Bane (7 pilots) in 6C-, but I successfully evaded them, jumping around to safes and looking for a moment when they left a particular gate empty. Those SoBs are not fun to play with.

I realized in Y9G that I was still in my training clone - oops! I stopped by Boystin to clean out my skull, and continued on in a fully insured Tormentor, ab/scram/web + beams. It's what I had sitting in the station. I found a Probe and a Magnate sitting in Conomette, but sadly for me they were both paying very careful attention, and were gone long before I could scan them down and engage.

I saw 16 neuts in Anckee, but then I suffered a disconnect. GrrR! When I logged back in my tormentor was still intact, and I saw an Arazu on dscan. Not today! There were 80 pilots in Heleune, nightmares, falcons, scimitars... and some of them were TGRAD again. None of them were likely to take a fight against a deadly tormentor, and also shooting blues is bad, mmkay? I left.

I jumped into Hare and saw a ship jump through behind me. I did my best to catch him - it was a viator. I failed to catch him. It's almost hard to believe. I tried to catch a Vexor in D85, but he ran away. My reputation precedes me, I see. Then I saw an Ares+Astero hunting around the system. I couldn't tell if they were hunting me, or each other, or both. I resolved to get caught and have a good fight. Then TGRAD spiked the system in Lokis, Leshaks, a few oneiroses (oneirosi?), time to go.

I chased after the Ares, until I got to Faurulle and saw a stratios on dscan also. Before I could decide what to do about facing the "best ship in the game" as I learned from a WHC AAR, I disconnected again, fffffff...foul language.

I got back in and luckily was still in a tormentor. In Anckee I saw multiple Naglfars, huginns, 8 guardians... I considered it, but I don't think I can break more than 5 or 6 guardians.

I spotted a worm in Pertineere, and eagerly gave chase. Unbelievalbly, he ran to Boystin. Mira Accuria: you are made of cheese, and there's no excuse at all for your behavior.

Frustrated with Solitude, NSC comms indicated an invading fleet with hurricane+T2 frigate. I picked up my training clone from Boystin and quickly jumped towards PC9. The brawl in PC9 involved Sons of Bane, plus a “neutral” cynabal who is famously eyes for SoB, and the neutral Hurricane. Our response was a ferox, a caracal, wolf, 2 T1 frigates. I got the fake neutral cynabal to shoot me on the JH- gate (then I jumped through safely), so he was stuck in PC9, but our fleet declined to come engage him. This was probably just as well, since his totally unaligned SoB pals showed up shortly with 8 guys in T2 cruisers. I suppose their carriers were being re-painted or something.

Those SoBs are not worth playing with. Time to stop for the night. I got back to PC9 and docked up, without having shot at anything all night. Not a great Eve experience, but they can’t all be 1v1 gloryfests versus a Tengu that promptly runs away when I reach its optimal range.
Falling Snow KumaMoto

28 October, 0107

Launched out from PC9 in a - you guessed it! - Tormentor. I saw a neutral Matt Ross in local, thought it was a good omen for content. I found a Noctis in 8-J, but was not fast enough to catch him! He was at a combat anomaly, I should have d-scanned that first. By the time I arrived, he had warped off, no idea in what direction. I tried a few gates at random but he was gone.

I spotted a Vargur, but I was not sanguine that I could break his tank with 120 dps... Saw a leopard in Pertineere, but failed to catch it. Maybe next time.

Anckee was totally empty except for me. I'm serious, there was nobody at all there, it was very strange.

In Ratillose I found 3 covetors, and 1 porpoise. I decline to shoot miners today. Even on fleets, I don't like it when we blob neutral mining ships, I'm not going to do it solo.

The Drekavak in Faurulle was flown by a pilot whose name I recognized. He lost one a week ago that was pvp fit, scram+web+ab... I didn't like my chances in my scram web tormentor.

I saw a Cynabal in U0V6, but did not pursue, certain that I could not catch him now that the ship's already ridiculous speed was buffed.

Out of hope for pvp content, I remembered that I had a Malediction sitting in Anckee. I finally finished training Amarr Frigate V and Interceptors IV, so grabbed it an ran back to PC9 hoping for some fleet action. When that was not forthcoming (Sunday night is always quiet), I used the Malediction to scout in my DST to post some T1 Caracals at NSC. Not totally a lost evening, but maybe tomorrow when there's 100% loot drops people will be out looking for blood.
Falling Snow KumaMoto

31 October – 0130, the final few hours!!
One last roam, here’s hoping for a decent fight or two.

I took out a standard Rifter, insured, in a clean clone from PC9, off I go. Oh wait, ammo…

In-game map says there are pilots in space in VV- and down that branch. I’ll see about that!

I found a procurer and gave chase, but he was paying attention and tethered to a structure immediately.

Many many pilots in 35-, and a velator who cross-jumped me. Anyway, corvette was a real SoB so never mind that garbage.

Although there were many SoBs in local chat down this pocket, there was nobody in space. I went to check the S-U pocket, 2 pilots… 1: Leshak, no. The other was docked up, time to move on.

In 98Q- I briefly saw 3xAres and 1xMalediction, SoB pilots, so I practiced my evading skills successfully. I continued on into Solitude, hoping for better luck.

In Anckee I found a jackdaw + astero; let’s get them! They ran, it’s a travesty.

I found a Venture in Hare, but he was paying attention also, and must have been sitting at a safe. With no combat probes, I moved on.

In Faurulle I saw a capsule on dscan belonging to a guy named "Friendship isbestship". I decided to practice dscan, and I'm appalled to say it took over 2 minutes to find him at a NPC station near the sun. I need more practice!

More practice: a blue(+5) orthrus in Agaullores. It took even longer, but that's because he was in an asteroid anomaly. What was he doing in there?? Well, he did name the orthrus "Skiff", after all.

With plenty of space and nobody to shoot at, I decided to check the D85 pocket, and found a neutral orthrus in U0V6. I chased him in my Rifter, and he switched to a Flycatcher. I thought, here we go, I'm going to get a fight now! I chased him around system, then he went to the outgate. Now was my chance, I'll warp into his bubble and we can duke it out. Warped to zero at the gate, but he hadn't set the bubble. He was 100km off, bad for me burning into his missiles. But he was in line with a station, so I bounced back at 100km from gate, but he was gone. I couldn't believe it. I taunted him in local, saying "Did you really run from a solo Rifter??" I was rewarded for this cheek - he came after me in an Onyx. I left. Some people are not worth playing with at all.

I was running out of time at this point, so reluctantly made my way back towards PC9. I saw a few asteros, and though I made no effort to fly safely, they must have been explorers, not hunters. I spotted a Nightmare in Cadelanne and tried to hunt him down. Desperate measures indeed! Sadly, after baking the solar system with my dscan so hard that surely all life was obliterated, I concluded the dude was running a signature or sitting at a safe. No dice for me!

Back to Syndicate, a SoB in a thrasher was sitting on PC9 gate in JH-. As I approached, 4 more SoBs jumped into JH- from a different gate. I slipped by to PC9 to call it a month.
Celine en Chasteaux

Post by Celine en Chasteaux »

Really enjoyed reading all of these! Thanks for the write-ups. Was hoping you'd end on a high :D
Tiramisu Enjoyer