Sticking my Neck into a C13 Wormhole

Willuw Everquest

Sticking my Neck into a C13 Wormhole

Post by Willuw Everquest »

Based on Sone Eto's thread https://forum.eveuniversity.org/viewtopic.php?p=906804 I felt inspired to try the same thing and spend an extended amount of time in a C13 shattered wormhole. I also found that it was a good time to do so as I am based out of HSC and the ongoing WARDEC has been a minor irritation. So, I figured I might as well learn a few new things about the game and hence my planning began. For background, I joined the game on 5 May 2019 with no prior Eve Online knowledge or experience. So on Thursday of last week, 13 Jun I went to find a C13 shattered wormhole, and after extensive searching I found one on Friday 14 June...as a branch from a C2 entry that spawned in … wait for it … Amygnon.

What is a small shattered Wormhole?

In short out of the existing ~2600 wormhole systems, there are 75 "Standard" shattered wormholes and 25 small shattered wormholes. They are so named because the planets are all shattered and therefore you cannot place any upwell structures in either standard or small shattered wormholes. Small shattered wormholes are also known as C13 wormholes, and all start with a J000 designator. Only small vessels (Frigates/Destroyer size) can enter small shattered wormholes, and therefore they are especially attractive to a newbro like myself as it allows the prediction of possible opponents and keeps costs down in order to explore one for an extended period of time.

If you are new to the game like myself, by now you have undoubtledy found the eve-uni Wiki which has a plethora of information on just about anything. If you want to start with wormholes as a newbro I found the following wiki pages helpfull:

https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Wormholes
https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Shattered_Wormhole_Space

Logistics

From Sone' experience I learned that I should take some secure containers (and anchor them), a hull repairer and some nanite paste. As I was loading up my trusty Astero two things became apparent. (1) Since my Astero was cap boosted the additional cap booster charges took up a lot of room and (2) it was bugging me that if I died halfway through the camping trip I would lose all the loot up to that point with no way to return.

Astero Fit:

My solution was that instead of loading everything into the Astero, I planned on taking my hauling alt along to serve as a base of operations. This would solve both issues, lots of cargo space, and a scanning alt to find the way back for my main...or to extract the loot that was gathered from the C13 hole. After doing some research I quickly learned that you could turn a Magnate into a Frigate sized hauler by adding cargo expanders. In addition the Magnate has a drone bay, which would serve as replenishment drones for the Astero if needed.

So I bought a Magnate for my hauling alt, and quickly loaded her up with the requisite materials that I could not fit into the Astero. Further, I loaded her up with sister core scanning probes and combat scanning probes to serve as a scanner while the main would worry about hacking relic and/or data sites.

Magnate Inventory:

Astero Inventory:

Wormhole Mapping

WHC and Eve Uni have a fantastic Wormhole Mapper that can be found here: https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/WHC_Mapper

However, for my needs I liked TripWire better, as it was more intuitive to myself and there is some automatic functionality. Tripwire can be found here, https://tripwire.eve-apps.com/ a good explanation on how to use tripwire can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNutX-U2Svo

Day 1 - Day 6

Instead of rehashing every day, it became a routine. I setup five safe spots that were not in-line with any celestials, this can easily be done by creating one bookmark between two celestials then warping to said bookmark and warping to another celestial, anomaly or cosmic signature to drop another BM (and hence making a safe location not within two celestials). I dropped two secure containers, both acting to gather loot. I then shared those bookmarks with my alt. I didn't know how to do this before in space, so this is one of numerous things I learned from this trip - you shift click the bookmark from your locations (People and Places) into your cargo hold (make sure to shift click, if you just drag it you lose the BM yourself). Then jettison the BM and it becomes a container for the other ship to pickup. Once it is secured in your cargo hold drag it into your people and places and voila!

I would scan down the entire system every day right after reset, the thought was that unless someone was in the system and did so the previous day and created bookmarks, they would have to do the same - and if they did I would see their probes. After scanning down the system I would complete all the relic and data sites drop the loot into one of my *anchored* secure containers and then watch for new cosmic anomalies every day to scan down. Come to find out this WH was not well travelled, I did destroy one Mobile Depot that was abandoned, however I may have seen a total of 4 ships on DSCAN while I was on my camping trip.

I became a master of scanning and I quickly learned what "Static Wormholes are," which for J000683 is a M001 (to a C4) and a Q003 (to nullsec), which I had read about however did not understand the mechanics behind until I scanned them down every day.

Tripwire:

On day 4, I became so bored that I wanted to hone my D-SCAN skills. For those that do not know there is a service by eve scout that is a rescue services for stranded travelers in wormholes. I didn't know that this existed until I came across numerous EvE-Scoute Rescue Caches (Small Secure Containers) on DSCAN in every wormhole I went to. Come to find out these containers have probes and a launcher in them so that a stranded traveler can contact Eve Scout, get directions to the containers and then scan down an exit should they have lost their probes...somehow. You can read about their service here: https://evescoutrescue.com/home/

Now-Secure Containers cannot be combat probed, however you can DSCAN them. I theorized that in order for EvE-Scout to give directions to find them to stranded travelers they must place these in a direct line between two celestials. After traveling to multiple celestials, then 5 degree scanning in the direction of another celestial I confirmed my theory (I will not mention here which two celestials the cache is between for J000685).

I then used DCAN to narrow down the distance (by selecting new distances and seeing when the container would disappear off dscan). Once I found the distance, I warped to the celestial that was "behind" the target...would create a bookmark that I thought was close to the distance. I would then warp to that bookmark and warp toward the other celestial to get a closer bookmark...rinse and repeat. After 45 minutes I was on-grid with the EvE-Scout Rescue cache. Again, this may seem mundane to you (and it was)...but I proved to myself that I could use DSCAN in such a fashion to scan down enemies or their safes if they were between two celestials. Had you asked me 30 days ago to "use D-SCAN Willuw" I would have said "what is D-SCAN?"...so this was a big accomplishment for me.

On some days I had zero relic and or data sites, on others I had 3-4 of them. There was 1 relic site that itself yielded 130M. At the end of 6-days I had gathered ~480M. On day 6 (today) I finally had enough boredom and I found a HISEC exit...through a C4 and a C2 and found my way back to Amy. There are certainly better ways to make ISK however I learned A TON about wormhole living and I would advocate to anyone especially new to the game like myself, to experiment with this. I learned a ton about wormhole mechanics and personally I tend to learn through "doing" - this was invaluable to me.

In the near future I would like to try to do the same in a Standard Shattered Wormhole with an Orca for my alt (training for that now) to act as a true base for my main. Thanks again Sone Eto for the inspiration! His thread here: https://forum.eveuniversity.org/viewtopic.php?p=906804

Thanks if you read this far!

- Willuw
"I see a massive blob of Blinky-tiny spheres floating around in space on my screen...with 27 windows open everywhere ...and I am trying to feverishly activate the right modules on the right targets that are being called with shaky hands… if I can do that that's 90 % success to me..." Willuw - 3 Aug 2019