[AAR] Amygnon Structure Defense Flash Form

O'Hearn
Title: Sophomore

Re: [AAR] Amygnon Structure Defense Flash Form

Post by O'Hearn »

Great to hear that you got a taste for war and want more!
Amoni Panala wrote:Let me just say that this war was really starting to get me down. A day ago I was even thinking of bouncing until it was over.
Note that temporarily dropping from the Uni can be a bit of a pain, because you have to queue like everyone else to get back in.
O'Hearn
Title: Sophomore

Post by O'Hearn »

Willuw Everquest wrote:I will mention this, since this is an AAR and you are supposed to learn lessons from it ...
Great feedback! Thanks for enriching the AAR.
Edhin Delphiki

Post by Edhin Delphiki »

Great job to all the pilots who took part in the defense fleet!

The list of pilots involved in the exchange made me excited the longer I scrolled down on the killmail synopsis. I was cheering on the inside (reading at work).

I raise my coffee to you all in respect.

Warm Regards,
Edhin
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
B'aldrick Aivoras
Title: Graduate

Post by B'aldrick Aivoras »

Nicely done all - I’d have loved to take control of Laura’s Death Star and neuter those guardians o7
Graduate
Assistant Orientation Manager | Senior Personnel Ofiicer
|
FCC Manager
Dexyr Sulvara

Post by Dexyr Sulvara »

Congrats guys!

...I need to get Slack on my phone...
Ares Dodekatheon
Title: HSC Manager, Lieutenent, Graduate

Post by Ares Dodekatheon »

Excellent response, great job of defending our structures.
Many thanks to all who organized, led and participated in.

o7
Macte animo! Generose puer sic itur ad astra.
Seleena Sarum

Post by Seleena Sarum »

Amoni Panala wrote:So this was my first fleet... Five minutes before we started fighting, Falling Snow had delivered me a newbie's version of the BLAP tackle/support Condor (otherwise I would have been fighting in a Battle Venture).
Always cool to hear about someone’s first fleet.
I was once asked, "If you were a ship module, which one would you be?"

Answer:

Waruiru

Post by Waruiru »

Most entertaining evening and tons of fun. Great job by FC, despite his claims of being out of date :) It was super to take part in a full uni activity and generated a real feeling of "I am part of this and this is fun."

Regarding the discussions around attacking their HQ. It would be interesting, educational and a meaningful activity to members. Who cares if it is a success or not, those first three things are pretty important to why people play this game and stay in corp.
Gergoran Moussou

Post by Gergoran Moussou »

I had undocked in my BLAP Caracal to investigate WT reports in Jufvitte. Saw a reminder to join standing fleet, so I did that and launched Mumble. Quickly noticed that there was a fight going, so I warped in and found out that I picked the right ship.

Was excellently fun. My least favorite thing about the war was lack of opportunities to engage them on good terms.

LOK-TAR OGAR! VICTORY OR DEATH!

But as I said in Mumble, they'll be back, and in greater numbers. We should probably be prepared to engage them so that I can quote something else.
Last edited by Gergoran Moussou on 2019.06.13 22:31, edited 1 time in total.
9th CCI medalist

Dairek Alamari
Director of Student Administration
Title: Community Director, Glorified Ombernaut, Nom De Jour™, Diplomat, Manager (AMC)

Post by Dairek Alamari »

Great job to all that participated! o7
AMC Manager for Life!
Director of Campuses / Communities
ImageImageImage
Tristle Boirelle

Post by Tristle Boirelle »

Ain’t back a month and I get a shout out in an AAR, I feel special. :D

The run

When this all started we were just wrapping up a Vanguard Fleet as Drebin 679 stated when Psych jumped into coms and briefed us on the situation. The problem was that Tristle wasn’t with the incursion fleet but deep in Aridia working on a special project. That means it was 25 jumps of low and npc null or 40 jumps of highsec (and a little low for Aridia). However I did have a jump clone installed in Citadel 101 so two jumps later I was magically teleporting across the universe to see the lovely sight of a local go from empty to full of greens, blues and flashing reds.

The fight

As my conciseness was transferred to my clone in 10, I left my personal fleet (pro tip: if you’re not going to be in a standing fleet because you’re 25 jumps away from the nearest standing fleet, form your own, it gives you tools you wouldn’t normally have access too and prevents random invites) and looked for the response fleet. Seeing no response fleet I joined the HSC standing fleet as I started the same search in mumble. Seeing an abnormally high number of people in HSC general and no fleets in coms I joined the HSC general channel. I checked the MOTD to see what the doctrine was for the response and there was none. I asked in chat what the doctrine was. No response. After a minute a minute or so I heard someone order the Caracals to undock followed by the Ospreys to undock as well. So I go to contracts and look for Ospreys in the corp. Find one, fit the rigs, and undock. I ask for the logi channel to be used for the Ospreys and get no response. I look though my fleet window to see where a logi was so I could just warp to them and only found one. I look up into the grid to see if I can find the logi anchor and all I see is a scattering of purple ships surrounding a small blob of red flashies. I then here Ithugor Wells tell me to warp to him at which point I did, burned in on approach locked him up to start cap chain. I watch list both him and Seleena as he was FC. My shield broadcasts was turned off for some reason so I had to resort to looking at what the wartargts were actually shooting. We were able to Rep Cpn Reynolds Rupture long enough for him to get off grid and kept Mongo the Mechanics Vexor up to the point that they had to switch two of the Leshaks to kill him. At which point I became the primary target. As I reshipped back into an Osprey the wartargets decided to evac and that ended the fight.

The lessons

1. Always have a jump clone at 101

We’ve always known Amygnon was the primary flashpoint for war target aggression against Uni structures. So being able to rapidly mobilize to Citadel 101 for defense is something that everyone who wants to help defend the campuses needs to be able to do. Sometimes you just must burn that 20 jumps to make the fight but if you can just do it with a jump clone that is always better.

2. Standing Fleet is not Response Fleet

While it may seem easier to form up in the Standing Fleet a much better way is to form an actual response fleet. This way you know everyone in the fleet is active and there to help the fight. The MOTD can be updated with the Doctrine that is being flown, who your FC, 2IC, Anchors, and snowflakes are. As well using a dedicated fleet channel allows for use of the subchannels and command channels.

3. Cap transfer Logi vs Cap stable Logi

This is a little more subjective and nuanced but in my opinion (i.e. take with a BIG grain of salt) the Osprey was the wrong choice in this situation. Logi numbers were low and really too low for using Osprey in this instance. As we had only two Osprey on grid, all it took was to take one of us out and both were effectively out of the fight. A better choice would have been to use the Scythe as they do not rely on each other to stay in the fight. Scythes would have struggled or buckled under the cap pressure that the war target would have applied but they would have to take out each one rather than just one. And even better choice, given what we were fighting, would have been to have four Ospreys but that would have meant people actually getting into Ospreys and we wouldn’t be talking about this if they did that in the first place.

4. Broadcasts and Broadcast settings

So it turns out that somehow my shield broadcasts were turned off which caused me to not be able to see shield broadcasts. How that happened I don’t know but it did. So if you actually broadcasted for reps and were within rep range when I was still up, my bad. This should be a lesion to make sure you have your broadcasts displaying before you start the fight. My armor broadcast was working and the person that did broadcast for armor reps did receive reps from me.

5. Batphone / Ping channel

The Uni has a unique setup. In any other alliance each campus would be it’s own corp falling under the E-Uni alliance. Running this way would mean if you’re part of the AMC corp then that’s where you are and would need to change corps If you wanted to be part of the NHC or WHC. Uni’s setup allows for members to quickly and easily transition between different campuses and even being an active member is multiple at the same time which is a great thing. The problem is, communication is being ran primarily as a campus level activity and there is currently no alliance or E-Uni level communication outside of the random ‘don’t shoot PIRAT structures please’ eve mail. If one campus needs help, such as a response fleet it requires that campus to ping the other campuses and then the leadership, official or unofficial, rounds up the posse to come to the aid of the campus in distress. This means you lose all the pilots that are not currently at a campus that has been reached out to. That means Nomads, Explorers, Pilots on alts not in the Uni, and even people just out of game but otherwise available are left out of the loop. My recommendation is that one of the following things should happen.

a. Setup an E-Uni level Slack that has an emergency ping channel that lets only Directors/Managers/FCs alert the members of a problem
b. Setup an Emergency ping channel in each of the campuses Slack that lets only Directors/Managers/FCs alert the respective members of a problem

Option a. is more like what the major Sov Nul alliances work currently where as opton b. is more tailored to how the Uni is currently setup. Option b might also already be setup this way on the other campus slacks but as I’m only currently a member of the Incursion slack and they don’t have an emergency ping channel I’m going with that is how the rest of them are setup.

6. Logi on killmails NOW!

Seriously, Now.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Laura Karpinski
Quartermaster
Quartermaster
Title: Director of Alliance Services, Benevolent Overlady

Post by Laura Karpinski »

Tristle Boirelle wrote: b. Setup an Emergency ping channel in each of the campuses Slack that lets only Directors/Managers/FCs alert the respective members of a problem

Option a. is more like what the major Sov Nul alliances work currently where as opton b. is more tailored to how the Uni is currently setup. Option b might also already be setup this way on the other campus slacks but as I’m only currently a member of the Incursion slack and they don’t have an emergency ping channel I’m going with that is how the rest of them are setup.
Option b is broadly the set up we have (except any staff member can post to it), it's called 'campusbatphone', and it was used for this defence. It is set up in all the campus slacks, but not incursion slack.

Incursion slack has a mix of current and former members and since campusbatphones can contain relatively opsec information about upcoming fleets we don't want to broadcast it to non-members :)
Former CEO of EVE University
Laura Karpinski of House E-Uni, first of her name, the undocked, Khaleesi of the Campuses, mother of unistas!
Seleena Sarum

Post by Seleena Sarum »

#1. I'd like to apologize for the terrible warp in situation at the start. Made the mistake of calling for people to warp to me before I actually landed all the way and my initial landing spot was 130km from targets because I thought someone was right on top of them but they were not. I was able to then bounce to someone else that was 50km off.

#2. I should not have made assumptions that people would have understood to watchlist me, and I could have made general commands more newbro friendly. (in fact it has been nearly 5 years since I've called targets, not 6 lol)

#3. Great job by whoever that kept everyone on targets after I died.

Rage forming is the one thing I have always loved in EVE. We sit around hauling, mining, chasing that one ship around a pocket, and then BOOM. Things to shoot at.
I was once asked, "If you were a ship module, which one would you be?"

Answer:

lobevaser

Post by lobevaser »

Since this was a " Quick Response " Fleet there was not time to set up a " Logi " channel, or setup the fleet wings in the Proper setup. TBH this happens a lot in HSC Standing Fleet.
As for the FC stepping up and take command even after being out of game for 6 years , I salute you Sir. I was about to step up myself but I was not on grid and the meds I am on had me undocking in the wrong ship.

Thank You All for getting to Amy fast and Fight. TBH I was in a state of WOW to see Amy local bloom with all the Unista's .
Lobevaser - Teacher
Graduate
Tal Tracyn
Director of Diplomacy
Director of Diplomacy
Title: Mentor, Graduate, Diplomat , Pineapple Pizza enthusiast

Post by Tal Tracyn »

Karpinski is the 2nd oldest citadel in Amy(101 is the first) and the first structure i built and put up.
It's over 3 years old and holds a lot of memorys,Keep it safe :D

Builder and runner of Rivet City,Karpinski Labs,Hive of Industry for 4 years solo.
Don of High Sec
Trading for 6 years in Eve.