[AAR] Marcus Arilia - Solo comp

Marcus Arilia

[AAR] Marcus Arilia - Solo comp

Post by Marcus Arilia »

End of Competition

Unfortunately, the 26th is my last entry for this year’s solo comp. Due to a couple deaths in the family I’ll be at funerals for the next week. However, in closing for the competition, it’s honestly one of my favorite things in Eve. Last year it was Tristans, this year mostly YOLO Enyos. With both it was a chance to learn the ins and outs of an individual ship, plus the fun of taking a fight just to see what happens. It was quite interesting too flying a brawler when the current meta is kitey bullsh*t. Plus how else do you learn the solo Enyo’s best engagement profile is BCs.

I will say one thing I noticed as a huge change is last year I got dropped on much less, and the fights were much fairer. I find that a little sad just because solo PvP is significantly different than F1’ing and I hope it doesn’t die off due to the blob/killboard stats mentality. Not hating on the Uniblob, just some thoughts around the impacts it could have on a new player sitting in their T1 frig looking to learn solo and 25 Comets land on them. I hope everyone had fun, and thanks again Kelon for putting this on!

Total Killed: 1,785,260,581.37
Total Lost: 1,092,611,888.25
Last edited by Marcus Arilia on 2019.06.28 21:22, edited 26 times in total.
Graduate xxxxxx Former FCC Staff xxxxxx Content Creator
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Marcus Arilia

Re: [AAR] Marcus Arilia - Solo comp

Post by Marcus Arilia »

6/8/19

Well I'd been a ghost for awhile, tending to the pain of "real life". I came back for an evening and realized my Proteus was a little rusty, so I thought I'd take if for a spin. On my way back the servers started lagging everywhere, Eve was in chaos. I figured I'd head home before they crashed completely. As I landed on *Bacon I saw an Astero. He wasn't moving, he must have been caught in the same epic lag as I was. I figured screw it and started shooting. I watched he hull hit full red, and looked like he popped. But wait, I still saw his ship... but a killmail showed up, but still no wreck. The servers continued their failed attempt at supporting the Eve Universe, and I had to disconnect. When I logged back on, alas the killmail was still there, but no wreck to be seen. I convo'd the murdered pilot, but he was still off and away flying in his original Astero. But somehow, someway, the killmail prevailed.

Astero 557,194,465.75

Excited from my pseudo kill, I continued exploring in my Proteus, but nothing else was to be found... this time.

Killed: 557,194,465.75
Lost: 0
ImageImageImageImage
Marcus Arilia

Post by Marcus Arilia »

6/9/19

Everyone loves to talk about solo PvP. However, there's one thing they don't always mention, and that is the variability of the hunt. Keen on killing something else, I undocked my Proteus and went off down the chain scanning away. I scanned, and I scanned. However, nothing was to be found. After about two hours I decided it was time to throw in the towel. You see, sometimes you search and you don't find anything.

But often times that can be some of the best experience. You can choose something to work on. Like I worked on my post-jump cloaking. Specifically fine tuning. I thought through it and realized, hmmm the biggest challenge can be scanning down a sig someone is at. Mainly because I had been not dropping probes to limit my visual exposure to the enemy. So I thought through it, well they're going to see me anyway in the second before I cloak, what if I figure out something to solve the probes at the same time. So I moved my default scan spot to wayyyyyyyy off grid. In the time I cloaked I also dropped probes, sent them out to the abyss, and OH'd all of the things. After about the 20th jump, I got it down.

So just remember young aspiring PvPers, just because you can't find things to shoot at, doesn't mean you can't still improve your PvP game.

Total Killed: 0
Total Lost: 0
Practice: Priceless
ImageImageImageImage
Marcus Arilia

Post by Marcus Arilia »

6/9/19

Now this was a combination of me being stupid, and me being in a new situation. I saw a wreathe on scan and decided to follow it. I eventually got it down and saw it was at a customs station. Thinking maybe it was a really bad PI guy that didn't know to use an Epithal I warped to the customs office at 50. Unfortunately I landed right on top of him, so there went my cloak. I then made the mistake of engaging, even though I was way too close. He quickly scram web'd me, and lit a cyno. Unable to get away (or really move at all) my Proteus quickly died to the carrier that dropped in.

Two key learnings from this:
1. Be on the watchout for cyno bait.
2. If I'm too close, I should GTFO instead of engaging.

Proteus 594,858,098.97

After the sadness of the Proteus I decided to fly around, join a fleet or two, and eventually take out my Enyo. The fit of which I refer to as my "YOLO Enyo" because it's fun to just throw at things and see what happens. So I was wandering around low sec and saw a Hurricane in a green site. A quick Pirate's Little Helper check said no one in system was scary except for one guy, so I figured if I ran into him I'd just run. Knowing my tiny little sig would be hard for him to hit I said screw it and warped in. He was about 30 off so I hit my MWD and headed towards him. Got scram web, and slowly started pewing with my little guns. I constantly D-scan'd just in case he had friends, which he did not. For the most part he couldn't hit me with my MWD on, but I cut it off a couple of times to get better tracking on him with the blasters. Eventually he went down, and his pod didn't warp off, so he was sent to Valhalla as well. Another win for the YOLO Enyo

Hurricane 51,913,430.43
Capsule 10,000.00

Sometimes during the hunt you just have to take what Bob provides, and this expedition was no different. Later in the day I popped into a null hole we were connected to in my Helios looking for some sites or content. Well no sites were found, and neither were any pilots. But I found myself some MTUs to shoot. So I BM'd them and traded for the Catalyst. MTUs count right? I mean they have a killboard entry, and it's no worse than an AFK Venture in a plex....

MTU 11,681,565.22
MTU 6,471,318.21

Total Killed: 70,076,313.86
Total Lost: 594,858,098.97
ImageImageImageImage
Marcus Arilia

Post by Marcus Arilia »

6/10/19

Many times I feel like my expeditions are just sightseeing trips through space. Hopping out of the hole to whatever connection I have. This time it was a hike through Aridia in the YOLO Enyo. I saw some systems that might be interesting and headed that way. I eventually hopped into an ice belt system with 3 others. I warped to the belt to no avail but saw two Covetors and a Porpoise on D. They ended up on an Athanor. I did some quick math in my head and figured I could burn down a Covetor before someone could man some guns (assuming the Porp warped off and didn't stay for shield boosts). I was right. As I landed 100 off the Athanor I saw no one had warped yet but the Porp was aligning. I assumed a multi-boxer and made my strike. Managed to grab a Covetor before he could get off, and OH'd to burn him down before the Porp docked and tried to PDS me. I luckily managed to get it down, and immediately warped off, loot be damned, just in case he decided to target me from the Athanor.

Covetor 24,841,858.76

So out of the 50+ jumps on this sightseeing adventure through Amarr space I saw quite a few MTUs, and wondered what I could do to kill them. To the fitting window!!! Apparently if I offline everything, and swap three of my lows for co-processors, I can fit an expanded launcher where my nos is. Living in WH space I need a launcher and depot in this thing anyway... So if on my next death you see all that in my cargo, now you know why. Plus after thinking about it, this could be a decent solution for hunting the random Astero.

So I tried my plan. It was working out swimmingly. Then the Russian that had multiboxed his Macharials came into system to pick up his MTUs. I didn't manage to kill any, but did get away after a Praxis tried to land on-grid when he figured out what he was doing. Well at least I got an Augmented Infiltrator and some Ogre IIs out of the combat scanning.

Total Killed: 24,841,858.76
ImageImageImageImage
Marcus Arilia

Post by Marcus Arilia »

6/13/19

I was flying around and saw a Merlin. Poor guy didn't get off fast enough. Recruitment mail sent.
Merlin 379,169.99

I saw a Pontifix and thought "Hmmm I've never fought one of those before". So I tried, and quickly lost.
Enyo 52,609,296.65

Tried the same thing with a Hecate. That was close till I was an idiot and burnt out the guns. I'm kinda excited for my next remap, I'd like to fly some of these things.
Enyo 47,671,731.35

Total Killed: 379,169.99
Total Lost: 100,281,028
ImageImageImageImage
Willuw Everquest

Post by Willuw Everquest »

These are awesome - thanks for sharing! You may become my second hero, sorry this newbro's current hero is Chance Ravinne...but your playstyle seems very similar.
"I see a massive blob of Blinky-tiny spheres floating around in space on my screen...with 27 windows open everywhere ...and I am trying to feverishly activate the right modules on the right targets that are being called with shaky hands… if I can do that that's 90 % success to me..." Willuw - 3 Aug 2019
Marcus Arilia

Post by Marcus Arilia »

6/14/19

Well some of these have been less than pleasurable fights. To ease up on the isk sink, I thought I'd bring out some T1s instead. Managed to get a Tristan before he got to range using one of Cpn Reynolds fits.
Tristan 7,540,629.36

This next one was actually a really good fight. However, I made a mistake which definitely contributed to my loss. I should have switched to Null sooner rather than trying to get into Void range. I would have started applying much sooner, and since I got him into half hull, it likely would have made the difference.
Incursus 8,177,475.57

Neuty Tristans die to Comets in giant fireballs.
Tristan 8,345,618.23

Incursus also loses to Dramiel
Incursus 9,017,598.01

Hopping into Eugales I saw an Algos on d-scan. He asked in local if I wanted to 1 v 1. He wanted to do dessies, but since I didn't have any in system he agreed to let me bring an AF.
Algos 21,585,252.30

Caught a Cormorant in a Medium. I was surprised, didn't even have to hit the ADC
Cormorant 32,280,320.76

Hopped back to the WHC to do some hunting. Poor guy. Recruit mail sent.
Heron 670,985.47
Capsule 10,000.00

Total Killed: 62,087,187.89‬
Total Lost: 25,540,691.81
ImageImageImageImage
Marcus Arilia

Post by Marcus Arilia »

6/15/19

Nothing is sadder than having your kill be only a plex camper.
Condor 258,715.50

And that's all I got. Like going fishing and catching a minnow.

Total Killed: 258,715.50
Last edited by Marcus Arilia on 2019.06.18 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Marcus Arilia

Post by Marcus Arilia »

6/18/19

Another day of hunting. Well kind of. I popped into Innu after camping in Bacon for a bit and saw a Heron on D. He was chilling on Eggs. My Instafessor wasn't in the hole, so I figured I'd try with the Prot for the hell of it. 2 shots and pop.
Heron 448,719.83
Capsule 45,754.38

Missing my Instafessor I went and picked it up. In the Z chain saw a Heron and a Corax. Heron was on a hole, Corax was like 350 off. I landed on the hole and Insta'd the Heron and it's pod. I hopped out, came back in, and dropped my combats to get a warp to the Corax which was now 375 off. He went down as well, as did his pod.
Heron 2,817,128.03
Capsule 10,000.00
Corax 1,545,162.35
Capsule 18,189,376.00

After waiting for the slowest scanner ever. Managed to get him before he warped off.
Buzzard 59,543,596.56

A couple WHC guys were chilling in Bacon shooting sleepers with their Rattles. They kept seeing things on D, so I kept coming to clean their D-scan.
Venture 15,464,306.62
Capsule 10,000.00
Atron 487,066.40
Capsule 10,000.00

After coming back to Innu I found a Magnate on D. Turns out he was chilling on Seymour's Nuts. I Combat Probed him for a good warp in. Landed on him and started to shoot. He warped to Eggs before I took him down, but didn't activate the hole fast enough. Pew!
Magnate 41,348,644.91
Capsule 135,367,937.77

Total Killed: 275,287,692.85
ImageImageImageImage
Marcus Arilia

Post by Marcus Arilia »

6/21/19

We had a Delve connection, so I figured I'd take the YOLO Enyo out for a spin.
Vexor Navy Issue 90,928,316.75
Capsule 10,000.00

In true YOLO fashion, I went for a Praxis. It did not turn out well. My little Enyo does fine, unless there are drones on top of him, and then he dies. With the VNIs I can sometimes burn them down with the help of the rats. No so much on the Praxis. I need to find a good drone counter when flying a smaller ship. I know I could outrun them, but on a blaster boat that's not possible, and since kitey things have less DPS I run into the challenge of breaking their tank.
Enyo 48,772,571.71

Had an Enyo with a fit I didn't like in the hole. Figured I could sentence it to death in Delve. I got my wish. I took down the VNI first, but I was so damaged I couldn't get out before the rats killed me.
Vexor Navy Issue 103,617,182.20
Capsule 10,000.00
Enyo 41,306,688.92

Total Killed: 194,565,498.95
Total Lost: 90,079,260.63
ImageImageImageImage
Marcus Arilia

Post by Marcus Arilia »

6/22/19

Was exploring the chain, chasing an Astero in low. This guy would not shutup in local. Kept asking for a fight over, and over, and over. I looked at zKill and saw he had almost no tank but was webby. So I switched to null, landed on him, hit ADC as soon as I was in armor, and burned him down. The drugs helped too.
Hecate 63,914,657.29

Total Killed: 63,914,657.29
ImageImageImageImage
Marcus Arilia

Post by Marcus Arilia »

6/25/19

After flying around the night before and finding literally nothing to kill over the course of two hours, I was a little anxious to shoot something. I hopped into a null we had a connection to and started looking around in my Helios. I saw an Arazu on D, but he wasn't at a POS, or anything else, just at a safe. I thought that was kinda weird. So I went to an outlying planet and combat scanned him in one round. Knowing that there was a high chance of a cyno I went back to Ali and reshipped to a gank Catalyst I keep for occasions like this (it's cheaper than the YOLO Enyo). I went back, warped on him at 0, and opened fire. Luckily not a peep, just a dead Arazu. Maybe next time when he's afk at a safe he'll remember to turn on his cloak. Especially in something so afraid of combat it's triple stabbed, with a cloak, and no tackle. So really it's just a shielded cyno.
Arazu 205,836,521.13
Capsule 10,000.00

Found an Algos in a small. Burned him down fairly quickly.
Algos 5,657,407.05

Took a fight with a Brutix. I was actually doing pretty well. Once I hit his hull though, and he was hull tanked. A Loki landed on grid as well, one of his buddies. By the time I went down I had the Brutix to half hull, so if it was just the Brutix I likely would have taken him down, but there was no way I was going to hold off a Loki as well.

Enyo 55,660,090.53

Went for a VNI. With his AB I had a little trouble with range. I likely should have switched to Null, but didn't think of it until it was too late. I burned him down to about 1/3 hull, but due to my lack of application because of the range I went down first. I also forgot to pop my drugs, which likely would have made the difference as well.
Enyo 56,836,883.90

A little bit later I decided to go exploring with my Astero. No explorers were found, but I ended up seeing a Mackinaw about 6 jumps down the chain. I went back for an Enyo, but by the time I got back he was gone. Though I noticed a couple VNIs that went straight to a Citadel as soon as I appeared. Was it me they were afraid of by chance? I started bouncing around making safes. Eventually they figured out where I came from and a Helios undocked. I saw his probes out and waited till he went to check out the hole and warped to it at 0. Not knowing the wormhole life he wasn't sure what to do. By the time he started burning to the hole it was too late.

Helios 49,346,512.89

Made short work of an Atron in a Med
Atron 2,377,961.98

Went for the Vengence, his friends came in and smushed me.
Enyo 56,657,812.25

Total Killed: 263,228,403.05
Total Lost: 169,154,786.68‬
ImageImageImageImage
Marcus Arilia

Post by Marcus Arilia »

6/26/19

Hopped into our Delve hole. This was a close one. He was paying attention and switched to lights which I was having trouble with. I managed to get him finally after using Null and pulsing my MWD
Vexor Navy Issue 102,520,600.65

Found a Covetor and a Porp at an unmanned Athanor. Porp got off before I could pew.
Covetor 41,558,290.85

Unfortunately my untimely demise came when the same VNI from before was waiting for me.
Enyo 57,200,132.10

Fine, little Enyo didn't cut it, I can upship...
Vexor Navy Issue 95,698,356.00

I continued my harassment of this little Delve sector with some pewing of their MTUs.
MTU 9,168,576.13
MTU 13,077,127.47
MTU 11,403,666.38

Okay a Myrm is too big for the little Enyo.
Enyo 55,497,890.06

Total Killed: 273,426,617.48
Total Lost: 112,698,022.16
ImageImageImageImage