[WHC] The two Megathrons i saw during huffing (WHC SS)

Savannah Tokila
Title: Mentor, Graduate

[WHC] The two Megathrons i saw during huffing (WHC SS)

Post by Savannah Tokila »

Roam members (8)
Spoiler
Ana'ander Lamora - Retribution
Claire Badasaz - Imperial Navy Slicer
DonBasuno Ichosira - First Enyo, then hotswapped to Deacon
Marcus Arilia - Enyo
Mikus Walker - Enyo
Savannah Tokila - Prospect, then Deacon to hotswap with Enyo
Tori Moliko - Deacon
So i was Huffing happily in 2 Z4, and after dropping of my gas, i came back, when i arrived tho, i saw that there were two new sigs, and i saw megathrons, i eventually decided to scan them down after refitting to a mobile depot, and the two new sigs were wormholes, with their second pass i found which hole they went to, so i pinged "wanna kill 2 megas rolling 3 z13 log on, SS. they just made it shrink, so prbly a hole like bacon, with 2b mass". I chose SS because the connections leading there were small connection, otherwise id have gone LA prbly. Obviously that is not true, it was a 3b hole but i didnt realise. because a 2b hole wouldve been rolled by now. i got a decent response, but lacking in logi, i found out through killboard that their rolling megathrons were full hulltank fit with all neuts in the highs. this was gonna be hard to crack, we had some people formed up on .2 Z4, mostly in enyos when they did another pass and i called everyone to jump and warp to .3 z13. we didnt catch anything, they just jumped through, but the hole was crit. i called not to follow, a phobos jumped shortly after and tried to close it. it cloaked but eventually we managed to decloak it, but it wasnt enough and they jumped back into their home. now we knew that they knew we were here, and i was worried of getting rolled in, i wanted to wait 10 minutes, to see if theyd come to us, but they didnt, so i jumped in, in my prospect and saw they had a hecate, sabre, megathron and a brutix, so i decided to go back, and then after a while i reshipped into a deacon and hotswapped to an enyo to not fc from a deacon, after i jumped through in my enyo and waited for them to notice me, which they eventually did but took a long time to mount a defense, eventually they came with a caracal and a harbinger as well as what they had before. when they landed i called for everyone to jump in and called the caracal primary, got myself primaried and logi couldnt hold me nor could i speedtank due to webs and neuts, so i promptly died, the enemy caracal followed suit. Then i wanted people to shoot the hecate, but it got away somehow, so i tried testing the tank of the various other ships, while telling people to jump if they get too low. which didnt quite work out, eventually most had jumped so i called for everyone else to get back on our side of the hole, while a sabre came to keep our pods in here, eventually i saw an opportunity to bounce to somewhere to bypass the bubbles but during that they decided theyd let our pods out, we exchanged gfs and went back home. sadly Claires Capsule got caught tho. was empty tho.

Kills and Losses

(19:27:53) J132735
Enyo -47.8m
Caracal +43.24m
Deacon -43.68m
Enyo -47.24m
Imperial Navy Slicer -27.94m
Capsule -0.01m

In Conclusion:

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 43,238,794.57
ISK Lost: 166,681,425.51
ISK Delta: -123,442,630.94
Efficiency: 20.598%

Overall evaluation
  • (Positive stuff)

quick form up
    we at least got the caracal.
    quite a helpful learning experience, trying to fight against the odds and into a crit hole
    everyone followed my jump instructions,
    the feedback after the fleet was very helpful to me

(Negative stuff)

i knew the scales were set against us but still went in, after confirming that we had people with mobile depots and scanners
    not sure how to deal with the neuts on field, as i think they were a major player in shutting us down. (megathron)
    sadly the hecate warped away, it apparently got into structure
    shouldve reshipped sooner into combat maybe to maybe be able to immediately follow them
    fcing from a pod at a perch is hard.
Last edited by Savannah Tokila on 2019.05.10 09:54, edited 2 times in total.
Marcus Arilia

Re: [AAR] The two Megathrons i saw during huffing (WHC SS)

Post by Marcus Arilia »

So initially it would have been a good gank. I think where things went downhill was when the Phobos came in. Up until then we had maintained the element of surprise. The challenge there was that after the Phobos it was called to wait for about 10 min to see if they would jump through. But at that point the hole was crit. So our only option to get the fight was to take our small ships in. Because we waited they had time to put together a counter, whereas if we would have followed the Phobos we at least would have maintained momentum and potential caught them on the other side unprepared.

When we did jump through it was called to engage the caracal, which was around 20 off. FC obviously got caught and that’s where things got confusing. DPS had been split and it appeared someone engaged but didn’t tackle the Hecate. Then when the caracal went down and we switched the Hecate was burning off and we wasted a good bit of time chasing before it was called to switch targets, and at that’s point the enyos had to burn back in a little ways which allowed a few to get hit. This is when I went down. After that there was a good bit of switching between targets and the FC called that anyone getting hit should jump. At that point, really the whole fleet should have jumped since it was creating a situation of slowly deteriorating DPS.

One big call out is rather than FCing from a pod, it would have been more advantageous to appoint someone on the field as 2IC. As well if it’s their hole, and you loose the element of surprise you need to keep momentum or disengage since waiting makes it very easy to be countered.
Graduate xxxxxx Former FCC Staff xxxxxx Content Creator
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Emilia Stark
Title: Freshman

Post by Emilia Stark »

I DID tackle the Hecate, but it managed to burn away from me and warped out when got out of tackle range. But the dps split is my mistake - I've heard the Hecate but apparently miss a call for Caracal. Still it was an interesting engagement.
DonBasuno Ichosira
Title: Sophomore

Post by DonBasuno Ichosira »

On the positive side I think it was great that someone found us content and stepped up to fc the fight. Also fun that we went outside of our normal comfort zone, jumped through a crit hole and trusted our ability to get back home if rolled in. Well done in pushing for the amount of logi you wanted, rather than just letting us slack of as damage dealers.

On the negative side...I got pushed to fly logi :lol: As mentioned earlier I also think we would have had a better chance if we were more confident and attacked before they had time to field ships that countered us. And I messed up flying my deacon. I choose to pull range rather than sit on the hole, but when the FC started taking heavy damage I closed in again to get maximal reps. This left me at middle range, where they could easily tackle and neut me, but I could not jump the hole. Resulting in a quick death for me.
Savannah Tokila
Title: Mentor, Graduate

Post by Savannah Tokila »

Yeah, the crit aspect was really something that tore me up inside, on the one hand I was not quite comfortable with jumping into a crit hole, and when realising we had mobile depots and probes I only then really started entertaining the idea, but maybe now that I have learnt that SS have mobile depots with them I think I wont shy away too much from jumping crit holes, we'll see.

i think if id realised the different mass of that hole sooner and knew the times when holes go crit a bit better, and the masses of typical fleets, as well as this try here that i might be more confident in following into a crit hole in small ships.

thanks for your responses, eyeopening