[AAR] Monday Night Noobs on Patrol 290119 02:20

Penelore

[AAR] Monday Night Noobs on Patrol 290119 02:20

Post by Penelore »

So in advance of this fleet I had quite a bit going on.
I was trying to arrange a fight with some acquaintances so we would be guaranteed some content.

However, I had a much larger group then expected for a Monday night. So I let my friends know our numbers were excessive for their fleet comp and they noped out. I had been rushing the fleet to the engagement when they said no... so I changed my plan for a roam out to Black Rise. I had 2 scouts + an alt with eyes, and 4 or 5 logi, plus 20-some bloodythirty Merlins with lovely application. So I wanted to fight something significant.

Roam members (27)
Spoiler
Ana'ander Lamora - Merlin
Archemide - Merlin
Auchar Baarus - Executioner
Branclem Bobbus - Merlin
Caladius - Merlin
Conci Furiram - Merlin
CyberBlackEagle - Merlin
Drault Sarn - Merlin
Durnik Risalo - Burst
Ged Sinak - Atron
Gol-goroth - Merlin
Gymea Tsutola - Merlin
Kirsid Tannaway - Merlin
Ky Hanomaa - Merlin
Lucia en Cedoulain - Merlin
Marcus Arilia - Tristan (joined later)
Meliodas Zateki - Merlin
Neemo Beer - Merlin
Penelore - Merlin
Poul Vynneve - Merlin
Redpoint Lu'Varro - Bantam
Satoshi Tomeii - Merlin
Talon Mayaki - Merlin
Thorkel Forste - Merlin
Z0X Ambrye - Executioner
jammer Atruin - Burst
timber justinlake - Merlin
Intel however came in that a group of people I knew, who I did NOT expect to be out and did NOT want to fight was in our neighborhood. And not only that, they had re-shipped into cruisers meant to kill Merlins. They knew we were out, what out doctrine was, and our numbers... I was... concerned. Okay not concerned. Freaked out. Little bit...

So at first I ran. I ran us around a whole weird area, through some high sec, to another low sec area. I had scouts and eyes moving in opposite directions around a loop, scouts looking for some content to keep my newbros happy, and eyes watching this fleet moving towards us.

But truth was... I wanted this fight, and we weren't going to avoid them completely anyway. So I told my scout to set us up in a Medium plex. I told the merlins to sit at 0 and the logi to pull range to 10km. And then I went and talked a bit of smack on discord until the other fleet engaged.

And this happen...

Kills and Losses

(02:52:53) Odamia
Merlin -5.1m
Merlin -3.73m
Capsule -0.01m
Stabber +31.08m
Stabber +30.97m
Merlin -11.94m
Stabber +47.85m
Merlin -5.26m
Stabber +30.69m
Executioner -6.41m
Stabber +30.79m
Capsule +0.01m
Stabber +30.87m
Hyena +53.33m

THE FIGHT SUMMARY

I thought I did okay with the target calling and positioning. Admittedly I missed changing targets to the Hyena when he landed on zero. I was tunnel vision a bit on a few people in Stabbers who I KNEW were very good pvpers. I called Chessur and Analiese primary and secondary... but Analiese pulled range on me fast so I let him go and started moving through the rest of the Stabbers.

I did pretty good at moving the fleet from target to target, and telling them when to turn MWD on to get to the next target fast. We traded 5 merlins and one tackle for their Stabbers. The Hyena got away since once I missed it's initial tackle it was uncatchable, but someone killed it for us later so o7 thanks random_pvper_01.

So then the friend I set up the fight with in the beginning wanted to play... and sat a Raven on a gate near us looking to trade.
He went after logi first and I traded a few more Merlins and a couple Bursts.

(03:12:42) Aldranette
Merlin -3.22m
Burst -3.83m
Burst -3.6m
Merlin -3.73m
Merlin -11.72m
Raven +194.23m
Executioner -2.72m
Heretic +86.91m

But what I really wanted was that Heretic. The Heretic had been watching the fight with the Raven the whole time and was probably hoping to get in on the killmails. He was keeping range and I didn't feel he was much of a threat, but I wanted him none the less. As soon as the Raven popped, I called the Heretic as primiary and MWD on and a mass of crazy newbro Merlins zerged him. I'm betting he peed a little. \o/

The rest of the roam turned into what a low sec roam usually is. Moving the fleet through systems, scouts +1. We caught a few things. On the way home I started moving the scouts to +1 and +2. Take tackle 2 systems out and trade points... and move in a quicker pattern to get us home.

(03:34:59) Hikkoken
Rifter +9.73m

(03:53:26) Eha
Tristan +7.06m

(04:05:51) Vey
Retribution +63.51m

All and all a pretty fun fleet. Mostly because we won the initial engagement that I had feared in the beginning so handily. It gave me the confidence I needed to keep moving and having fun.

To those who died for EUni content and learning... I salute you o7.
(Even if you did scare the crap out of me at first.)

Lesson learned once again... sometimes you can win things you don't know if you can win.

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 617,012,397.8
ISK Lost: 61,252,775.36
ISK Delta: 555,759,622.44
Efficiency: 90.969%
Ana'ander Lamora

Re: [AAR] Monday Night Noobs on Patrol 290119 02:20

Post by Ana'ander Lamora »

good times, stabber salad!!
Shauny Tsero
Title: LSC Manager, Orientation Officer, Titles Officer, Teaching, Ensign

Post by Shauny Tsero »

Who was Stabber156? He's an odd survivor on your side of the fight lol
LSC Manager, Orientation Officer, Titles Officer, TA, Ensign, Former Student Advocate, Former Mentor Manager
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ImageImage ImageImage ImageImageImage
CyberBlackEagle

Post by CyberBlackEagle »

Very funny Fleet, Thanks for FC and Logi bros and everyone involved.

When I was reshipping, I jumped around 8 system with a fellow capsule from the stabber fleet, they are Ex Uni and he asked if they could join us on a roan, I said he would have to talk to you. Edit, I think it was Raido Kudonen.
Caladius

Post by Caladius »

That stabber fight was one of the best fights I've had in Eve. Thanks for running a great fleet Penelore!
Drault Sarn

Post by Drault Sarn »

I thought fleet was very well run
lol I did call it right that it was a bit of a pre planned fleet

very well run and executed

only thing i had a small problem with is we lost a number of new people early. Due to them being confused.

a fleet 101 course would help a lot for these members

noobs on patrol is just that a fleet to get new bros feet wet or at least I thought it was.

for people with fleet experience very good fleet.

for new people it may of had a discouraging effect.

Other wise good job.
Staberinde
Title: NSC Combat Officer, Sophomore

Post by Staberinde »

As the Raven pilot I want to clarify two points.

1) I was going to mop up the Logi, because they were sitting on me, at 0. I relented after the first two because I could neut out the rest to kill some merlins.
Logi should know not to be sitting ducks but you should also look at this as FC, if you're looking at positioning well in another fight I'd consider this one poor positioning. Especially as we were sat on a gate at 0 the logi could have jumped and been back almost instantly.

2) is there a part 2 of this AAR called the long journey home, or did that go straight to DVD.
Analiese Aubernet

Post by Analiese Aubernet »

Penelore wrote: Intel however came in that a group of people I knew, who I did NOT expect to be out and did NOT want to fight was in our neighborhood. And not only that, they had re-shipped into cruisers meant to kill Merlins.

Just for the record, we picked stabbers specifically because they would give you a decent fight, as opposed to what we had been planning to fly during our roam - caracals.

As you can see by the way the fight panned out, a big ole blob of merlins is really decent against brawly cruisers, particularly when you have logi on grid. Anyway, we were glad to finally get the fight and I think both sides had fun.
Marcus Arilia

Post by Marcus Arilia »

Penelore I wasn't on fun much of the fleet, but I really liked your use of scouts +1 and +2 as well as using a -1. Also when you were trying to avoid some stuff towards the end your orders were short and concise.

As a bonus I heard from numerous newbros that they had a lot of fun, lets just make sure to cater to all the newbros :)
Graduate xxxxxx Former FCC Staff xxxxxx Content Creator
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Durnik Risalo

Post by Durnik Risalo »

Staberinde wrote:As the Raven pilot I want to clarify two points.

1) I was going to mop up the Logi, because they were sitting on me, at 0. I relented after the first two because I could neut out the rest to kill some merlins.
Logi should know not to be sitting ducks but you should also look at this as FC, if you're looking at positioning well in another fight I'd consider this one poor positioning. Especially as we were sat on a gate at 0 the logi could have jumped and been back almost instantly.

2) is there a part 2 of this AAR called the long journey home, or did that go straight to DVD.

I was the second logi to go down. I arrived late to the "party" and happened to land near you on the gate. But both the first logi to die and I were not on you at 0 (so my video appears to show) -- in fact we were 2 of the ships that were furthest from you (after mid fight). That said, obviously, I did not do too well in this fight. I was a little (lot?) slow in getting to range. However, what got me scrammed was my alignment to the called bounce (and being one of the few targets left on-grid) -- I could have manually piloted around you, but I didn't know your range, so that might have been for naught. Or even better, manually pilot to a better plane above the gate during the encounter so I didn't have to align past you to *any* called bounce. However, I never thought of that.

Regardless... thanks for the fight and taking the time to give us some feedback.
Troven Smalvard
Title: Assistant Manager (Orientation), Gate is Primary, Point on Primary, Graduate, Management

Post by Troven Smalvard »

Durnik Risalo wrote: I was a little (lot?) slow in getting to range. However, what got me scrammed was my alignment to the called bounce (and being one of the few targets left on-grid) -- I could have manually piloted around you, but I didn't know your range, so that might have been for naught.

Nice to see others than FC giving that their thoughts on things learned as a member of the fleet, which is what especially NOP is about.

you cover some good points and they are the next steps for making a logi pilot from the initial get on grid lock up who taking damage (they should have broadcast to help you otherwise there fault not yours :) )and activate reps.

manual piloting takes a lot to get used to when your trying to keep friends alive under fire on top of, but practice practice.
In a brawly fleet like the merlins here, logi should be aiming to be "behind" the dps arm in a fleet fight, that way any baddie tackle has to come through guns of naverone to get you. so you want to be burning away keeping range from your fleet trying to keep th blob in optimals

for swarming a bigger target like a BS generally the call for dps will be to orbit close to get under the guns and keep up transversal (while keeping eye out for Smart Bombs if you are little and fragile and if target has a grappler which will be brutal if your doing default orbit 500)

but as you were fighting a raven they are going to be missile fit (because of the hull bonuses) which don't care about traversal only your sig and speed
so if i was you in this situation i would prob be orbiting the raven about 12km keeping outside normal web range (and importantly scram as i'm guessing mwd fit) and keeping you close to optimals for the majority of your fleet while allowing you to maintain max speed because of larger arc

as they mentioned, they are going to try and knock a few logi off first to try and make easier to kill dps

the bit you said on not knowing enemy range will come wih experiance, sounds like your taking stuff on board when its happened.
the bit on missiles and transversal is covered much better than my ramble in the pvp101 or the wiki and you tube etc for anyone reading who is new and not sure what i'm on about
Durnik Risalo wrote: Or even better, manually pilot to a better plane above the gate during the encounter so I didn't have to align past you to *any* called bounce. However, I never thought of that.
you sound like you got the answer to your own question, but you can also align out to any your own warp outs if they don't drag you passed the damage and regroup once your away, frigs don't take any time to reform

Edit: unless Staberinde was being particularly nasty and had RLML the raven in which case your going to struggle regardless what i wrote above in T1 frigs, but as he brought he fight for fun and content i'm sure he wasn't that mean :p

Edit 2: checked zkill, told you he was a nice guy he didnt even bring reps, props for giving the guys a brawl :medal:
ImageImage ImageImage