Siernan - (Logi)
Space Warfare Development - Nemesis
Tokumei Kumiai - (Logi)
VincentSeradin - Merlin
Weadj - Vigil
WyteNyte - Merlin
Z0X Ambrye - Republic Fleet Firetail
Zako Maken - Merlin
This fleet had a lot larger number of participants then I expected -- I hope it continues. This included about a half-dozen or so newbros and unistas coming back from time away from the game/pvp. Consequently, this fleet was extremely slow. Pre-undock took longer than expected and the fleet movements during the roam took quite a while. We also stopped the fleet at times to make sure everyone was with us and to discuss anything of importance. This wasn't a bad thing; there was a lot of learning, I think.

We flew a circuit around the Cal-Gal Faction Warfare systems. We had encounters on gates and stations. We dropped into a system at the same time a Triglavian fleet dropped on our in-gate at the same time. So, we experienced a quite a few different situations in a single fleet. However, we didn't find/catch too much content.

Our primary scout ended up having problems with his mic, so our backup took over. He stepped up in hopes of learning how to be a scout and he did a good job. I'm glad this fleet gave him the opportunity to learn to be a scout, but I am learning right along with him. So, I felt some confusion at times in understanding the situation and intentions.

Plus, given the whole overall fleet situation, I think some of the fleet members were pretty bored and took it on themselves to go find some content. So, that added to my confusion at times (having multiple intel reports by different (and unexpected) members). It was kind of frustrating, but I guess I need to learn to control the fleet members better. But at the time (before I watched the video), I wasn't sure how or why it was happening; only that it was happening and didn't want stop the fleet yet again to straighten it out (although, I probably should have). Basically, I had between 1-3 scouts plus the other "eager" scouts out at various times. All when I was expecting/hoping to only have a primary scout and maybe another scout at various times (when I needed an experienced scout to outrun overpowering fleets, etc).

I also learned that I need to try to be more precise in doctrine. Eve seems to have quite a few ambiguous terms. One seems to be T1 hulls. I am of the camp that says T1 is the Tier 1 hulls that excludes faction (both navy and pirate) hulls, but others believe differently (and I can't disagree with the reasoning). But, anyway, the multiple meanings bit me. When I scanned the ships in fleet prior to undock (as everyone was forming up), I didn't see anything questionable. But, two of the fleets losses were faction T1s.

Fleet encounter video: Youtube Video

Kills and Losses

(03:17:09) Ouelletta - Encounter Video
Merlin -7.47m
Merlin -6.94m
Corax +2.63m
Capsule +0.02m

This was one of the confusing times. A gnosis was called on in-gate grid. However, scout reported gnosis jumped. Then the other scout reported that was incorrect and he had a navitas pointed. I called for fleet to jump and warp to scout with the navitas. However, when we jumped there was a corax on grid and at the same time, the scout lost point (apparently due to stabs). I never called differently, but half (most?) of the fleet did not warp to scout. It took some time, but eventually I turned over to 3ic (who was still on gate). We did get the kill but lost some to gate guns.

(03:34:53) Melmaniel - Encounter Video
Republic Fleet Firetail -31.23m

This was kind of a frustrating encounter for me. Comms certainly broke down.

We jumped into Melmaniel and found a Triglavian fleet landing on grid. Everyone started talking in comms that had no benefit (such as "oohhhh", "oh boy", etc) and well meaning questions (such as "what's the call", "FC", etc). I don't mind one person asking what are we doing once (to wake me up to facts, if I miss it), but more than one prompt just makes it so much more difficult to think and communicate with the people I need to communicate with (command channel, etc).

My thinking here was:
  • 1 - I think they know we are under gate cloak, but I'm not sure. I'll give them time to cross jump us.
    2 - They know we are here (since we jumped with their scout). What do I do? I'll fleet warp to a safe. I don't have a safe, let's go to a planet at range.
    3 - Ged, my command backup and 2ic, told me to get scouts on finding them. I was confused by this -- they are right there. I didn't realize he evidently wasn't with us on-grid.
We got off grid by me warping fleet to a planet at range. We lost one of our scouts because he warped to FC and canceled his fleet warp (which I found out at the end-of-fleet discussion).

This is a perfect example of me not keeping fleet apprised of my plans and keeping them calm. A simple "hold cloak, we have time" would have helped tremendously, I think. And, ultimately, it would have prevented a lot of what frustrated me in the first place about this encounter (i.e. comms).

(04:30:54) Nennamaila - Encounter Video
Griffin -6.52m
Burst -5.37m
Procurer +38.1m

This is another confusing encounter for me. We had already decided not to take this encounter due to being on station and moved on. However, while we on out-gate, I guess someone wanted content so he hunted them down. I didn't realize his intel report (based on voice comms phrasing) was the same mining fleet that we had declined. I already had scouts baiting in next system, so I really didn't want to take this, but I also wanted content. So, I told "someone" to get tackle. Once tackled, we warped in. Enemies were procurers, a magus, an incursis, and later a confessor.

This whole encounter was messed up. My thinking was off about going in and it only got worse. I called magus primary (good, I think), but called incursis secondary (bad, he was 200k off). When the confessor landed, I asked for tackle (again 300k off; therefore unnecessary and confusing). I also noticed in the video that my primary target broadcast did not show up; I guess my game client was hungry(?). I got reports of another fleet sitting on nen gate. While this *is* intel (and therefore good), the report didn't say where (only on nen gate). Plus, if they are *sitting* there, I don't care -- we are in combat. So, with all of this and my ability to think feeling off-kilter, I called scatter. Every decision I made, looking back, was pretty bad starting with taking the fight and leaving my scouts out in the wind in the next system.

From other AARs, I was pretty sure I did not want a typey scout. Now, I can confirm that predisposition; I don't. Although, I don't want "line members" going off doing their own thing in fleet, this encounter is all on my shoulders -- I didn't have to take it. But, that said, if I *did* take it, then make better target calls and continue the fight til the end (any legitimate end).

(04:35:49) Aldranette - Encounter Video
Vigil Fleet Issue -32.47m
Daredevil +89.21m
Capsule +0.01m

And yet another confusing encounter. Another example of a non-scout unexpectedly finding content. Our scouts were trying to get points in compounds and someone else called point on a daredevil. I called warp and tackle. This is the classic lowsec gank scenario. This was also another example of comms break down (such as "X going down", "let us know when to fire", etc). Althought, the break down in comms for this specific encounter wasn't an issue, all the comments were totally unnecessary for a combat situation. If you are going down, broadcast for reps (which he did).

(04:45:09) Renarelle - Encounter Video
Vigil -7.18m

Reports of a Osprey NI jumping to us. Called to orbit gate and get tackle. We got a point, but he got back to gate and jumped. I should/could have had some tackle on other side of gate. I assumed the scout was there, but I should have made the call explicit -- you know about assumptions, right? But, remember if you are taking damage, broadcast for reps.

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 129,968,922.56
ISK Lost: 97,194,905.91
ISK Delta: 32,774,016.65
Efficiency: 57.214%

Overall evaluation
  • (Positive stuff)
    • - A lot of learning
      - An opportunity to run a larger fleet
      - Some content
    (Negative stuff)
    • - Losing control of the fleet members actions and comms
      - Flawed Fleet Command decisions
Note: I pointed out some actions that frustrated me. I'm not saying anything at all about the person(s) (e.g. personality, attitude, ability, competence, etc); I'm only commenting on actions.