Dynamo Crash - Merlin
JohnPlayerNotSpecial - Burst
Kordun Naskingar - Merlin
Marn Vermuldir - Slasher - Scout
Max Tsero - Burst - LogiFC
Mike Kingswell - Merlin - FC
StuMzaLu - Burst
Zeerse Solaris - Merlin
Called out in game and on slack for an impromtu lowsec roam (felt the thirst for blood) and we got a decent bunch going. Including 2 Newbros on their first fleet (o7 to Dynamo and Stu) - one of them even flying logi in his first fleet! With me providing some ships, insurance and SRP this was basicly a insurance scam scheme!

Kills and Losses

(19:09:50) Eletta
Slasher -5.16m
While we were foruming up in AMY the wanted pirate Adrien Claremont adjusted his route, didn't check it first, turned on the gate and got caught by officers on grid with a warrent for his arrest. Resisting the law they got him dead rather than alive...This fleet was off to a GREAT start! We set out with a promise of imminent death waiting for all of us!

(19:29:08) Heydieles
Sunesis +40.9m
Our scouts managed to drop in on a Sunesis fighting a Trasher. Thrasher got the Sunesis. Scouts managed to tackle the Thrasher. Secondary was called but when primary bounced of the Thrasher managed to ellude secondary while the rast of the fleet was just coming on grid. Thrasher got away by a hair.

(19:40:18) Nisuwa
Astero +264.43m
Our scouts ran down this Astero in a FW site. He held his reps for quite a bit but we were just too many for him and our logi negated any incoming damage quite nicely. Lootfaery was kind aswell.

(19:47:43) Hirri, Pynekastoh
Atron +1.01m
Adrien found as an AFK Atron FW and we just couldn't say no to a free kill...

Slasher -5.28m
The Sunesus we found after managed to kill our brave scout before could get to him though and eluded us thereafter.

(20:02:45) Reitsato, Oinasiken
Burst -4.76m
Capsule -0.01m
Burst -3.09m
Capsule -0.01m
We then got cought between a big T2 Frig fleet and a bunch of the HEY - russians. While trying to elude the one group we ran into the next. Tried to shake them in a novice outpost but they managed to our brave logi bro outside. While then trying to elude them further the managed to grab another one. While they were busy playing with their food the fleet managed to outjump them.

(20:26:36) Melmaniel
Tormentor +7.23m
Cought us a Tormentor inside a PLEX and got rid of him quickly. Since we had 1 logibro left he didn't even scratch our paint.

Back in Amy prizes were handed out to our newbros and the first death of the fleet!

Thank you all for joining me on a bit of fun tonight. Shoutout to Scouts and Logi!

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 313,570,544.1
ISK Lost: 18,298,252.95
ISK Delta: 295,272,291.15
Efficiency: 94.486%

Overall evaluation
  • (Positive stuff)
    - decent turnout for an impromtu fleet with ~1h announcement time
    - Marn and Adrien are great scouts (who would have known?!)
    - 2 Newbro's got their first fleet and one of them even survived!
    - logibros are best bros (even sacrificed themselves to enable us to retreat!)
    - I like frigfleets for their agility and their suprising punsh (especially with logi)
    - we didn't wipe

(Negative stuff)
    - I need to improve my capabilities to judge fightingstrengths of fleets
    - having a alternate route handy if you find yourselfs "blocked" will save time!
    - we didn't wipe
Alumnus, Teacher
Image Image Image Image Image
JohnPlayerNotSpecial
Title: Events Staff, Bloober, Graduate

Re: [AAR] LowSec ExplosionExtravaganza 3rd Dec 2018 - 19:00

Post by JohnPlayerNotSpecial »

Okay, this was an impromptu fleet i've seen advertised in Alliance chat. So seeing this amount of people in fleet was pleasantly surprising !

Now, let's dive directly into the negative parts shall we ?

Formup:
- While you stated (repeatedly) this would be a "for fun fleet", your given newbro speech was imHo useless from a newcomer perspective. By this i mean it was brief (which is fine per se) but more handled as a joke. While we had a fleet of mostly experienced people, it would have been better to first have everyone on the same page. Maybe do a "align sun, take this warp" maneuver first so newcomers then can ask Qs like "how to do that".
- Comms need to be addressed. Who's in charge ? Have ppl set up their whisper. Get logibros on the same page. All that jazz.
- Composition ended up with 5 Merlins & 3 Bursts.
- ImHo the undock was rushed, it was too much adhoc and negligence of basics.

Moving around:
- Scouts were doing a marvellous job, however commands related to where to go were mainly based on listening to comms. Which is a thing that newcomers have an issue with (they have to wrestle the interface first), hence we lost them (as in they didnt know where to go) quite often. Maybe be more decisive on commands and/or broadcast (or have someone else do it for you).
- Comms in general were an issue imHo. While it was a fun athmosphere (hats off to you for that !), there were at points too many cooks trying to stir the pot (me included, i actually feel bad about that). Assert your role !
- On the losing ppl in space, think that boils down to previous points.

Fun fleet:
- Advertised as "all free, you die, gogo fun", i didnt die. Was the sole Logi at the end even. We spend most of our time running away. Tbh this isnt a negative point, i was expecting a welp and didnt get one so disregard this point.
- I'm not sure if our newcomer first time logi/fleet friend actually had fun, he was chasing the fleet most of his time. I've offered him a personal 1on1 with practical for logi, i hope that'll change his very first impression of flying a healboat.
Mike Kingswell wrote:- logibros are best bros (even sacrificed themselves to enable us to retreat!)
No they didnt. They got lost and ... well... died. Space created as it's called in Dota ;)

But it wasnt all negative, positive things:
- A fleet ! Nothing scheduled but still you did a fleet !
- I had fun.
- Comms when not fleet related were fun too !
- Things to win ? Pity you didnt state that at the beginning what kind of challenges ppl had to accomplish. But still, things to win !
- Nice short fleet unlike the sort of dragged out 2h fleets where everyone gets annoyed/bored/burned out at the end ("nono let's go there we get smt i'm sure" ;)).
- Free ships so no "what doctrine is it, no i cannot do t2 do you have meta" etc...

o/
signature.
Mike Kingswell

Re: [AAR] LowSec ExplosionExtravaganza 3rd Dec 2018 - 19:00

Post by Mike Kingswell »

First fo all John: Thanks for the detailed feedback! I really apprechiate it. There are some points I want to revisit and ask about:
JohnPlayerNotSpecial wrote: - While you stated (repeatedly) this would be a "for fun fleet", your given newbro speech was imHo useless from a newcomer perspective. By this i mean it was brief (which is fine per se) but more handled as a joke. While we had a fleet of mostly experienced people, it would have been better to first have everyone on the same page. Maybe do a "align sun, take this warp" maneuver first so newcomers then can ask Qs like "how to do that".
While "useless" might be a bit hard I do agree that the newbrospeach needs work (mainly since I didn't prep it in the first place due to impromtu-fleet and just went with a very very broad overview and the standard .gifs and pictures I always provide)). While I was only aware of 1 newbro in the fleet (the other one told me this was his first fleet only after we docked back up ^^') I did encourage anyone with questions to speak up at any time and repeated that multiple times during the actuall fleet. That beig said: Most definatly not a good newbro speech.

JohnPlayerNotSpecial wrote: - Comms need to be addressed. Who's in charge ? Have ppl set up their whisper. Get logibros on the same page. All that jazz.
What do you mean by that exactily?
I did announce myself as "your FC tonight" and the logibros were setting up in logi channel own their own accord. Since Max asked for a "how to set up wispers" link I assumed you guys were busy and had it well in hand. Should I have gone through it in more detail?

JohnPlayerNotSpecial wrote: -(...) however commands related to where to go were mainly based on listening to comms. Which is a thing that newcomers have an issue with (they have to wrestle the interface first), hence we lost them (as in they didnt know where to go) quite often. Maybe be more decisive on commands and/or broadcast (or have someone else do it for you).
- Comms in general were an issue imHo. While it was a fun athmosphere (hats off to you for that !), there were at points too many cooks trying to stir the pot (me included, i actually feel bad about that). Assert your role !
On those two points my perception differs from yours quite a bit thus I am very interested on your take on these.
Having lost my way around in fleets more than once I though I was aware of the possible problem and one of you guys (Max or Marn?) was helpfully broadcasting almost every "align to" order that i gave. Additionally I tried to repeat my orders multiple times and giving it a few good moments before "moving on". Was that too short a time?
Mainly though I extensivly used fleetwarp to keep us in one blop and minimise the risk of getting lost. The only few instances I can remember where I didn't was when our scouts called point and we had to hussle.

As for the comm situation: I honestly percieved the comms to be quite orderly . Neither you nor any of the other more experienced players tried to "shadow FC". It might have made that impression when the scouts reported but I intentionally asked Marn and Adrien in the beging to not only "report" but to offer me their additional opinions (since I am painfully aware that my lack in experience makes it hard for me to judge fleet compositions and possibilities those offer resulting in a "can we take this fight or not?").

Thanks for the pointers ou did and can offer :)!
Alumnus, Teacher
Image Image Image Image Image