[AAR] Atticus Vex (Solo Comp)

Atticus Vex
Title: Sophomore

[AAR] Atticus Vex (Solo Comp)

Post by Atticus Vex »

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condor vs Merlin +1,700,000
  • Jumped into a novice. Burned out of scram range. Turns out he didn't equip a scram. He put a 5 million bounty on me. Now my avatar has a cool red "Wanted" banner. badass.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condor vs Catalyst +1,600,000
  • Warped into a large. Orbit at 16km.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Osprey Navy Issue vs Covetor +28,000,000
Osprey Navy Issue vs Orca +1,000,000,000
Osprey Navy Issue vs Harbinger +46,000,000

[I guess this was a single engagement but maybe not because the Harb came in later. I dunno.]

[While doing a drive by through the Avaux/Amoen lowsec pocket, I noticed an Orca and Covetor at a blue ice belt in Avaux. They get spooked by neutrals and leave system. I park an Osprey Navy Issue at Avaux VIII-3 and log off. 30 minutes later, My alt sees the Orca and Covetor back at the ice belt. log off alt and login main.]
  • Undock Atticus in the ONI and land in the ice belt amid a swarm of drones.

Point Covetor and immediately bump the Orca.

Quickly kill Covetor. Point Orca and apply neuts, drones and missiles. I'm in half shields so I kill his drones. Orca is in armour.

Go to inject a cap booster but... OMGWTFI'MSUCHANIDIOT I don't have cap charges in cargo. @$%* !!!

OK. Turn off neuts and MWD, orbit, and keep chipping away at the Orca with missiles and drones. Like 8 minutes later, Orca is in 1/2 hull.

One neutral enters system. Harbinger on long Dscan. Harbinger on short Dscan. Harbinger on grid. I warp off to a nearby celestial.
[At this point I decide a Covetor kill is good enough. I can't bash the Orca and fight the Harbinger so I warped off heartbroken. After landing, I notice my ONI's shield and cap have recovered somewhat, so I decide to warp back to the ice field, counting on the ONI's agility to get me out of trouble.]
  • I Land. Orca is still in the ice belt, but the Harbinger is gone!?

Point Orca, release drones and missiles and continue bashing. Orca is in 1/3 hull.

I want this Orca. My hands are shaking. Is this actually going to happen? Orca is less than 1/4 hull.

Arrg.. the Harbinger lands again. I start taking damage but it's manageable. That's odd.

I decide f*%# it. I'm going all in on the Orca. I overheat missiles and yell at my Acolytes to do more damage.

Orca explodes. I quickly point Harbinger and it dies, but far too quickly.

After picking up the loot, I docked up at Stac 5-9 for repairs and spent the rest of the evening playing blackjack and impressing the exotic dancers (female) with my Orca kill. I woke up the next day hungover and broke.

[Looking at the KMs and the their fits, I clearly lucked out on this one. They must have just smashed together a Harbinger fit hoping to scare me off. I typically reimburse newbro losses, but I think I'll pass in this case. :) Poor decisions on their part and some really good luck on mine. I'm going to invite them to the Uni and tell them Ersin will replace their Orca.]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kestrel vs Slasher +6,000,000

[I was following a 10 man frigate gang through several systems.]
  • Warp to tac 200km off the Hirri gate. Their fleet gets stretched out as they burn towards me.

When the closest one is about 30km off, I warp to a second tac, then back down to the gate.

Traace was so eager to tackle me that I guess he forgot about gate guns. I think he was their FC.
[I should have stayed on the gate after the slasher went down, perhaps some of the other fleet members would have engaged me and died to gate guns. I didn't have a plan, other than spreading them out and maybe tackling some stranglers outside of GG range.]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kestrel and pod vs Gate Camp -10,000,000

I lost a Kestrel and pod to a gatecamp Heydieles on the Abune gate. I need to work on getting my pod safe.

Tristan vs Hookbill +27,000,000
  • Hookbill was at around 20km from beacon. I overheat my AB and burn right at him.

He's moving away from me, but I catch him quickly, he never turned on his MWD.

Overheat scram, apply neuts, release drones, enter a close orbit. I start taking damage very late in the fight.
[ I almost burned out everything. I need to get a better feel for how quickly everything overheats. Especially when several modules are overloaded]

Condor vs Imicus +1,000,000

[I had prescanned a few exploration sites earlier in the day and caught the Imicus as I was passing through the system.]

Condor vs Catalyst +500,000

[Found two guys arguing at a large plex. Each accusing the other of being a bot and using illegal software. The venture got away. Kinda funny.]

Condor vs Venture +100,000

[AFK unfit venture at a large. These folks from PLA Fleet are not big on fitting their ships]

Condor vs Breacher -8,000,000

[Because of a mistake on my part, the breacher got scram. He did lose it, and I tried to pull range but failed to reactivate the MWD.

Failing to turn on my MWD after escaping a scram is something I do often. I just don't notice it in time.
]

Hecate vs Vexor +12,000,000

[While killing clone soldiers to fix my security status, I noticed the Vexor running a mission site.]
  • Launched combat probes out of his dscan range and probed a location outside the system so nobody sees combats.

Dscan target to 5 deg. then combat scanned. Got a lock on the first sweep. (This rarely happens)

Warped in and orbit at 500m.

Hecate vs Exequror +8,000,000

[The same guy as above reshipped and came back to finish his site. dscanned, combat probes, orbit at 500m. I should have bookmarked the site the first time.

Hecate vs Heron +800,000

[I jumped through a lowsec wormhole connection and ended up in a sleepy part Genesis. Surprised a Heron sitting on a customs office at zero.]

Astero vs Probe +5,000,000

[A perma-flashy pirate decides to scan down MY relic site. The nerve of some people.]

Kestral vs Atron +2,000,000

Caught him at a large

Last edited by Atticus Vex on 2018.10.27 22:51, edited 13 times in total.
Turlough Dominian
Retired Director
Retired Director
Title: Manager (Events), Senior Personnel Officer, Spai Hunter Extraordinaire, interrupter, Events, Graduate, Management

Re: [AAR] Atticus Vex (Solo Comp)

Post by Turlough Dominian »

Well done on the orca kill <3

dang that harbi is ugly xD
Retired Assistant Personnel Manager,Retired Director of special projects, Retired Assistant Guidance Manager, Retired Events Manager,Retired senior Personnel Officer Graduate,
Atticus Vex

Post by Atticus Vex »

Thanks Turlough. I'm not sure if that was three different guys or just one guy multiboxing. Either way, I can say I've killed an entire newbro corp in 13 minutes. How cool is that! Does this event have a prize category for "Most Heartless Bastard"?
Glasi Vookto

Post by Glasi Vookto »

Looks like he was multiboxing, and he was really bad at it. Nice kills, regardless!
One question though: why were you shooting Inferno missiles the whole fight?
Atticus Vex

Post by Atticus Vex »

Glasi Vookto wrote:One question though: why were you shooting Inferno missiles the whole fight?
Wow, that never occurred to me.

I tend to suck at remembering resit holes for all the different hulls. As such, I use thermal without thinking because it seems to work well on everything. If you, or anyone out there, has an easy mnemonic trick, please share.

Looking back, I got so focused on bringing down that Orca, anticipating his/their responses, worrying about the locals and their blingy ships, contingency plans and so on, that even if I had other ammo types, I don't think I would have thought to switch.

Clearly something I need to work on.
Glasi Vookto

Post by Glasi Vookto »

Atticus Vex wrote:
Glasi Vookto wrote:One question though: why were you shooting Inferno missiles the whole fight?
Wow, that never occurred to me.

I tend to suck at remembering resit holes for all the different hulls. As such, I use thermal without thinking because it seems to work well on everything. If you, or anyone out there, has an easy mnemonic trick, please share.
It's less of an issue of what resist holes they had and more of an issue of what damage type your ship was bonused to. The N Osprey gets a 25% bonus to kinetic missiles, so unless you are shooting into t2 Gallente/Caldari resists you should almost always have that loaded.

Rgarding resist holes, the rough rule I go for is:
T1 armor ships: explosive, then kinetic
T1 shield ships: em, then thermal

T2 is more complicated, but roughly:
Caldari: em
Gallente: Explosive/em
Minmatar: Kinetic/explosive
Amarr: Thermal/em

There are excepions ofc, and it depends if they have enough lows to plug their holes or not, but I think that's a good rule of thumb.
Atticus Vex

Post by Atticus Vex »

I really like the ONI and plan on taking it out more often. Thanks for the tips, they'll be put to good use.